Abhumans tactics?

I've got a single squad of 3 Bullgrins that I've experimented with in small games and liked the results when they've got a commissar to back them up, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to do at a larger scale.

Obviously, more will be needed but I'm having trouble finding a place for them. They seem to be made to stick close for the extra armor and cover till they're close enough to smack someone like a mack truck, since their guns are very mediocre. However, they can only really travel up the board on foot due to their size and build, so they're slow getting anywhere.

The main problem is finding a place for them I'm a list where I'm running the tanks I love and have enough t3 troops on the board.

Any suggestions for them or the other abhumans, even links to other threads would be appreciated.

Ogryns can take Chimeras as transport... OK, only 4 can fit in (or 3 with a Commissar)... so if you are keen to get them moving about, then you can use a Chimera (or Taurox).

Is this stock or with the power maul? I think they're a "does what it says on the tin" unit. Send them in and wreck stuff! I think they're chiefly a bully unit so find something they will overpower in combat and get cracking skulls. They're durable too so can offer some resilience to a line as well as an effective unit to intercept and tarpit.

Ogryns can take Chimeras as transport... OK, only 4 can fit in (or 3 with a Commissar)... so if you are keen to get them moving about, then you can use a Chimera (or Taurox).

Sorry, this was written late last night. What I'd intended to say was this:

At most, yes you can get four into a chimera, but that doesn't work out in my mind. They can do basically nothing in the APC, and we don't have access to assault vehicles that aren't supper-heavies. Not to mention that you get no use out of their big shields and more of them are needed in a squad when point limits go higher.

Also, their base leadership is on par with orcs, they need a priest or commissar so they don't instantly fail leadership and run after a single casualty.

Stormlord and a big squad of them with mauls? Or have a line of the ones with big shields infront of your CCS.

Currently trying to work out how they will work on mass as I'm wanting 60+ of them. ;)

I've played several games using 2 squads of 8 bullgryn in a rampart detachment with rad grenade inquisitors and priests. They can absorb ridiculous amounts of damage and then brutalize anything they can get to. It's sooo many points though.... The rest of your army is small. I hid cataphron destroyers with grav cannons behind them. With the cult mechanicus cards I was able to give them a great cover save when it mattered.

Stormlord and a big squad of them with mauls? Or have a line of the ones with big shields infront of your CCS.

Currently trying to work out how they will work on mass as I'm wanting 60+ of them. msn-wink.gif

You sir, are crazy! In a good way! 60 bulls will look awesome on the table!

Hm, on the other spectrum of Abhumans we have the Ratlings. In my eyes, the last cost-efficient Snipers left in the game, along with Eldar Rangers. If you want cover campers like SM Scouts that actually do something for their cost, take 'em.

Archived