Effective use of breachers

Wolf Lord Loki

With the price increase my 20 man blob with power swords is getting replaced with Suzies for sure haha.

However my 10 man squads with meltas are more desirable now.

How did you get a 20 man blob of brea hers with power swords?

Ultramarine Breachers can trade their bolters for Power Swords.

do they that's a very nice swap to be able to make, wish phalanx warmers had the same!

They get Power Axes and Thunderhammers.

Yes but the power axes aren't great with the unwieldy, pow swords and +1int would be awesome, otherwise the perk is pretty useless outside of Zm games.

Phalanx Warders are not +1WS when Charged, not +1 Initiative.

They have +1 I I for some reason as it was one of the rules I remember you explaining on the IF forum when someone asked why we get the bonus but have no cccw to take advantage?

Got changed in the most recent Legion-Specific Red Book.

Oh, I agree I hate that the UM vanilla breachers get Power Swords while ours are Axes, Thunderhammer or bust. The only reason they get the option is because of their Roman spin not so much theyre Breacher spin.

At least the sarge can get a breaching charge but even then its not ideal.

IH player here I have had reasonable success pre price drop using 10 breachers with nelta in a phobos as my troop choice with HOG row

Yeah, inviolate armour goes a massive way to making breaches awesome.

Make them Immortals and the fact they get an invuln and FNP from anything short of S9 is madness.

• 2 weeks later...

Toying with the idea of this load out for my iron hands:

X10 breachers x2 flamers, combi flamer, breaching charge.

Landraider proteus, armoured ceramite

Total: 440pts

They seem a little more viable with the points drop on the squad and my chosen transport.

The idea would be to keep them in their transport until I need a tarpit unit then use them to bait charges.

The flamers provide a little over watch support and keep the squad cheap, it also keeps the squad anti-infantry focused.

If I get charged, use the breaching charge!

Any thoughts?

I feel like for that to work you would have to hyper focus on armor. Like a bunch of malcadors in heavy support, a pair of those breacher units, and like a melee command or veteran squad in another land raider for your HQ. That would be a lot of tank to chew through to get to the juicy center.

• 5 months later...

Do you remember when i said i couldnt see why you would use meltas?

My 15 strong shield Bearers now have 3 meltas and the Sarge has a melta combi weapon.

As a blocking squad they frequently team up with my seige breaker consul to speed bump my opponents.

Considering ive held off putting an apothecary with the squad until i know what changes the Wolves will have, they have done surprisingly well.

Frequently holding firm in the face of Guiliman and his suzerain, yes they all die but they do hold the line!

What changed your mind? To me it still seems their weakest weapon option. I wish they could take plasma, personally. Perfect spot for that weapon.

Yeah plasma would be pretty sweet for Breachers :(

What changed your mind? To me it still seems their weakest weapon option. I wish they could take plasma, personally. Perfect spot for that weapon.

Well partly it was weappns i had lying arounds and partly it was the need for ap2 and an armour busting gun, one of my regular opponents regularly fields suzerain and locutarus ultras special units so i needed weapons that could remover 2+ armour saves

I have modelled up a few more so i can swap out the meltas for 2 graviton guns although ive not had a chance to try them out yet

• 2 months later...

Ultramarine breachers with power swords are a mighty shield wall to :cuss up a world eaters charge, especially with Logos Lectora RoW, love it. Also that fool who constantly fields 5+ quad mortars is going to cry sweet tears of despair when he sees a breacher squad.

I don't see how breachers beat quad mortars? They're definitely a bit more survivable, but a 6++ re-rolling won't stop a quad mortars for long.

Breachers can only reroll armour saves vs blasts and templates.

I don't see how breachers beat quad mortars? They're definitely a bit more survivable, but a 6++ re-rolling won't stop a quad mortars for long.

Thudd Guns =/= Phosphex.

Regular Quad Mortars will struggle to kill Breachers.

Archived