How to kill a Warhound Titan?

Ironwithout

So I have a 3000 point game coming up which I am really looking forward to! He will be running Death Guard and a Warhound Titan. I don't know the list yet and I don'T know the titan weapons.

I will be running

Sigismund

Primus Medicae

Jetbike

Melta bombs

20 breachers

4 grav guns

Artificer Armour

10 tactical marines

Rhino

Artificer Armour

Contemptor mortis

Twin assault cannons

Contemptor mortis

autocannons

missile launcher

Contemptor mortis

autocannons

missile launcher

Apothacary

X6 Jetbikes

Heavy bolters

All Melta bombs

Sicaran battle tank

Lascannons

Sicaran battle tank

Lascannons

Sicaran Venator

Legion falchion

Obviously I'm playing imperial fists. I don't have many more models to change around other then pollux, 3 Plasma dreads and another 10 breachers so the list isn't going to change much.

So with all this in mind I'm after some general tactics on how to beat this monster! I have never played against one before and it's going to be great. But how the hell do you kill it?

Any help would be mint!

I haven't re read the titan rules a while, haven't played mine for a year or so.

Jetbikes with mm and mb could be the way to go? You can hopefully turbo 2/3 units and line up for a charge t2.

They are immune to haywire now I think? So gravs might not work.

Shoot at it with autocannons / kheres first to try and strip off the voids.

Then go for the meat with heavier things like falchion and venator.

As of book 5, Titans (including Warhounds) are immune to haywire (graviton is useless) and cannot be locked in close combat. I think if you're able to close the distance, melta bombs are the most reliable way to go, as hard as that may be. The risk you take when engaging a Warhound in a shooting match is that if it's taken the full D loadout, with any luck at all he'll take out your super heavy & venator extremely quickly and then proceed to mow through your tanks/dreadnoughts. You're really relying on the Falchion & Venator ; the Falchion to actually kill it and the Venator to stop it from killing you.

I would suggest melta support squad in drop pod but you don't have the models unfortunately! I don't think a Warhound has armoured ceramite so that would reliably take one down.

You have the firepower & melta bombs to kill it, but Warhounds are absolutely brutal at 3000 so it's going to rely on a bit of luck, especially as he has another 2250 points running around. :P If the Venator has a good game and gets an early penetrate off, it won't be near as much of a problem to deal with.

Also, why are you taking Sigismund? He has no squad to support him to make proper use of him. Thats 230 points you could invest in Titan Busting.

Oh, and on the subject of Titan Hunting: Do you have 2 Primaris-Lightnings? If yes, load both up with Maximum Kraken penetrators and stuff them in the list. Give it Strafing run for BS5 and Battle Servitors for Tank Hunters to re-roll piss-poor Armourbane rolling. Drown it in ~12 S8 Ap 2(1?) Armourbane Missiles at BS5 with Tank Hunters.

If you were up for dropping the Jetbikes, I'd take 3 Primaris Lightnings equipped as such.

Hmm, I think you guys may be over thinking this a little.

As cool as three lightning Primaris look, it's impractical, single dimensional and Iron already mentioned he doesn't have many extra models to switch around.

Warhounds aren't that bad considering. With all the firepower Ironwithout has at his disposal, I don't think it will cause him too many problems. The 5+ invuln comment to all Titans may splash a couple of shots, but it isn't going to be that terrible.

First off, the Falcion is great to have. Ranged D is the best thing for anti titan. There are plenty of auto cannons to strip it's couple void shields first, which shouldn't be hard since they are only AV12. You've got a Sicaran Venator as well which is just as helpful as the Falchion. Even super heavies can only take snapshots if they suffer a penetrating hit from the Venator, which which means three of its four possible weapons can't fire and the Vulcan Bolter is only hitting on 6s. You stun lock it with the Venator and you've effectively taken 750 points out of the game for a turn.

Keep in mind though, if your opponent isn't familiar with the Venator already, it's going to be his first target for everything the second you stun lock his precious titan ^_^

@Flint: I get ya, But, if you could Instagib a Warhound early enough in the game for it to Explode Over a fair chunk of his army, then, hey, cool!

Especially since, unless hes got massed Anti-Air, 3 Primaris-lightnings are a lot less vulnerable than Other Non-Titan Anti-Titan weaponry, Mainly, because if the opponent goes first, he could straight up Turbolaser the Venator and/or Falchion get lucky, roll a 6 on the D Chart and deal D6+6 Hullpoints in damage with no saves allowed.

At that point, you'd be high-and-dry to deal with the Warhound.

Its something to keep in mind. Thank god its not a Warlord since you're still able to get out of LoS of the Warhound unlike the Warlord who can shoot Terrain.

@Iron: Stick to terrain/cover as much as you can, Pray to RNGesus for no 6s and hope he doesnt take out your Venator / Falchion quickly. Maybe even Swap Sigismund out for Polux to get a Squad to Deepstrike. If you can Deepstrike some Melta Weapons Behind the Warhound, and shoot it after the void shields are down, you stand to do some respectable damage since its Rear Av12 and doesnt have Armored Ceramite, oddly enough.

It would be hilarious to explode that giant bastard first turn when he's still got all his squishy infantry piled in around it ^_^

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Lightning-Primaris fighters. I've got two myself. But they are so mono-purpose and expensive when loaded down with three racks of Kraken missiles. After they fire them all off, they don't have a lot more utility besides.

Of course, there's alwasy a chance the Hound could kill off the Venator or (a lot less likely) the Falchion before they get to fire, but virtually close to no chance he could get both of them as long as they are positioned cleverly. The Sicaran Venator is still a fast tank, is it not? That helps a ton with positioning.

Does the warhound still cause melee combatants to hit only on 6, or is that just the Reaver and up? If it doesn't, that makes the job of offing it another step easier.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I completely want to see a Warhound get ganged by an equivalent points in a contemptor dread mob.

Oh wow was not expecting this many responses Cheers! Sigismund will probably be changed for a Praetor on Jetbike to be honest. I don't own the fighters so that's a no go at the moment. Spending £1500 on a HH collection in 3 months my wife is not letting me buy any more just yet lol.

I don't think he's going to have a maxed out D weapons. He rarely gets to play and it's all about the models to be honest. Neither of us really care about winning just more of a game that I actually have a chance.

Ram it with a Land Raider then send out a Warsmith who has just rekindled his love for the Long War - that almost worked one time so should work this time :P 

• 3 months later...

Ram it with a Land Raider then send out a Warsmith who has just rekindled his love for the Long War - that almost worked one time so should work this time tongue.png

Poor Forix.

@Ironwithout: I think its a good thing you don't have the Lightnings. When it comes to games that include things like a Titan it's about the spectacle, and the fun. Bringing something to the table for the sole purpose of invalidating something of your opponents does not make a fun or satisfying game for either player. Lets say you had the perfect set up to blow up his Warhound turn 1, and have it's explosion wipe out half his army, is that a fun game for you? Is it fun for him? Doubtful.

When playing with big toys like that, don't seek the optimized option, do what you are doing, look for something that gives you a fair chance, but isn't meant t be the perfect counter. If you're trying to win the game on the first turn, to me, that defeats the purpose of playing the game.

SO, to sum up, I think a venator and a falchion is a great choice, gives you a chance to destroy his warhound over a few turns, and gives him a chance to destroy your superheavies/titan hunters over a few turns.

Edit: Ooop, thread Necro.

Archived