Deathwatch true scale marines, very slow progress

JayKay

To those few brave enough to venture down here, hello!

I've been hanging around the boards for the past few months, enjoying the work of many other talented individuals and thought I'd finally offer something of my own up!

Introduced to 40k when my brother got the 2nd/3rd(?) edition boxed set (BA on the front, made a games day mini of it a few years ago) way back when. Being maybe 8 years old or younger at the time I had no patience nor ability to paint, but I was pretty good at cutting models apart!

Forward 15 or so years later, find a nice independent hobby shop down the road and looking for something creative to do in the evenings (after the GF and I put more money than sensible into MtG for a bit...) I bought myself the sanguinary guard box followed shortly by the death storm box set.

Over the past few months I've been quite inspired by the true/art scaling of models by several people, particularly Lamenter/Master of the Forge, Doghouse and (apologies for the spelling) Augustus b'Raass' amazing First Claw (which led me to read ADBs first book of the trilogy!). Using a combination of the guides of the former two had a go myself.

Decided to go for Deathwatch as I've not got the money, time of patience for a full army and DW are just awesome. That and a chance to attempt sculpts of various chapter symbols. I've posted a few WiP pictures in a gallery, will see what I can do about posting them here: forced to use only an iPad at the mo until I get a new PC (hence the poor photos too).

Managed to sort the photos. First guy is finished as far as I'm concerned:

med_gallery_85494_11184_422002.jpg

This one was the prototype, not yet successfully made a mould of the inquisition shoulder pad I made (which I don't think shows in the previous picture...) which is all this guy is missing. Attempting a Crimson Fist shoulder pad (not a squid which is what it looks like now...).

med_gallery_85494_11184_794075.jpg

WiP of a space wolf and the state of the others

med_gallery_85494_11184_409868.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks for reading :)

Very pleased to see another thread like this materialising! Which chapters do you have planned?

I see you're using terminator arms - do you use terminator hands too?

Seems I owe you an apology as I've been using your thread as inspiration too! Sorry dude!

Terminator hands for the most part yes, the exceptions being the cupped left hand cradling the bolter and the knife in the hand of the Space Wolf (which I'm not happy with the pose for).

Chapters I have most but am open to suggestions:

Sergeant Templar

Combi flamer is a SW/founded from them

Bare headed Crimson fist (attempting to sculpt a fist icon so will post progress when I have any)

I have a blood Angels bolter ready, thinking one of the successors either flesh tearers or Lamenters.

Heavy bolter is still up for suggestion. I have a shoulder pad from the DA vets box with the downward pointing sword and the beakie helmet with the sword/winged sword on it nut I want to stay away from first foundings at the moment. That and I attempted a DA symbol and it sucked :).

• 2 weeks later...

Made some more progress this week, particularly this weekend. Completed the apothecary (head is done just not pictured), just need shoulder pads for the last two. Completed my attempt at the Crimson fist logo on the shoulder but forgot to snap a picture pre-primer. Am trying out some techniques for painting I have been reading up on, namely two colour priming. If nothing else it's pretty useful for guiding me! Made a start in painting too.

Not 100% sure on the bolter arm of the apothecary, specifically the soft armour joints.

Pictures below (and more in my gallery), C&C appreciated and thank you :)

med_gallery_85494_11184_750552.jpg

med_gallery_85494_11184_349623.jpg

med_gallery_85494_11184_922915.jpg

med_gallery_85494_11184_483072.jpg

med_gallery_85494_11184_738446.jpg

med_gallery_85494_11184_550135.jpg

med_gallery_85494_11184_235003.jpg

Some excellent work here - surprised you aren't getting more comments. Your photos are a little small/unclear, which makes it hard to see everything, but I'm glad to see you're making progress. The shoulderpads definitely serve to make your marines more bulky and imposing, which is a key part of truescaling for me! 

Some excellent work here - surprised you aren't getting more comments. Your photos are a little small/unclear, which makes it hard to see everything, but I'm glad to see you're making progress. The shoulderpads definitely serve to make your marines more bulky and imposing, which is a key part of truescaling for me!

Meh, as long as I have the one "fan" I'm happy !

I know the photos are poor and it's frustrating : I have a lovely DSLR just no way of uploading photos at the moment! Will see what I can do this evening and get some clearer ones.

Agreed on the shoulder pad front, really gives the hulking, immovable look, particularly with the smaller bare heads. Think it's that bit that's actually made me continue with a full squad rather than just a one off.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of update: as of yesterday I have just moved house and am about to start med-school, so as you can imagine lots going on recently with not much time to spare! I have managed to get some work done in these guys but sadly don't have them with me or any photos.

Long and the short, I'm still going with this so bear with me :). Updates in about 2 weeks when I'm settled and have my little plastic soldiers back (and I should have a better means of photographing them!). No excuse to not carry on as I am now in the centre of the GW solar system, Nottingham! Any advice on visiting Warhammer World/not visiting with money is appreciated :)

I always love looking at other peoples True-scale marines. It's something I've done for several years now, but only as little one off projects, so seeing full squads always gets my hobby juices pumping.

You've made a really nice job of these man, I might have to join you in increasing my two Deathwatchers to a full squad to! Colour me inspired! :-)

The new Warhammer world is awesome, go there and bask in the glory, I can't recommend the tour enough, it's like £7.50 or something, but believe me, it's totally worth it.

• 11 months later...

Archived