IL XVII - The Warriors of Peace (thread 1)

simison

So, I have a Primarch, and an early draft of legion rules. That leaves unique wargear, units, and characters.

Unit-wise, the elite legion unit will be a jump unit. I want a consul pariah upgrade, and that leaves one slot left. I'm tempted to make a unique tactical squad.

If I may suggest having a read through my Pariah consul, before you make a second one that does the same thing. It just seems that we shouldn't have two different consuls that are both named 'Pariah' and yet have different rules.

As for the special units I'm intrigued as to how you'd make a unique Tactical squad, but it sounds like a very cool idea.

Well, there are 3 ways to make an unit unique.

Specialized wargear

Special Rules

Different stat line

Not sure which one to pick.

Also, I've been inspired to create a unique jet pack unit. All armed with dual pistols, and representing all of those awesome pistol-fu gunfighters. (Think Matrix).

Lastly, to further balance the legion rules, I'm eliminating Psykers as a consul choice.

Well, let me work through it. 

(Gun-Kata Marines) 

- Equipment jet packs, a set of bolt pistols

- Can upgrade pistols to plasma, melta, flame, volkite variants

- BS 5,  

- Dodge bonus? Extra shots?

-Purpose? Deep Strike, harassment unit

(Wuxia Marines)

- Equipment jump packs, CC weapons

- WS 5

- Challenge rule? 

- Purpose? Assault

So, that's what I'm doing with those two units, in general. So, for the unique Tactical squad, I am leaning toward unique gear, perhaps a special rule since the other two have modified statlines. 

As I had an seminar on chinese films: wuxia always incorporates some form of magical knights;) maybe built on that premise? But then yonder are blanks as well....so no magic. Maybe....wudang squad to emphazise on the sword art and medical superority?

As I had an seminar on chinese films: wuxia always incorporates some form of magical knights;) maybe built on that premise? But then yonder are blanks as well....so no magic. Maybe....wudang squad to emphazise on the sword art and medical superority?

That's a good point. Hmmm, I'll leave the consul restriction in limbo for now, while I figure out the rest of this. 

Starting with the Gun-Kata marines. For naming conventions, I'm thinking of either elemental (Airbenders, anyone?) or something that sounds like Chinese grammar (Raiders of the Sublime Fury) or a mix (Masters of the Striking Air). 

The only real question I have is should I add anything else? Being a pistol unit, they're never going to be too far from the enemy, hence an idea I had for a dodge save of sorts. Off the cuff, maybe a 5+ invul against shooting? Force the enemy to commit to clearing them off. Or maybe emphasize their harassment and give them all an extra shot with their pistols. 

You could give them a 5++(or even 4++, more on this later) on any turn they move thus incentivising a Move-And-Shoot mentality with them as well as represent their agility while on the move and shooting their guns.

For Armor you could give them Power Armor Lite to help with more mobility. Now, I Would avoid Jet Packs since at least one of us has a Jet Pack unit already (I'm blanking on who it is but I know I helped a bit in their creation. If you're reading this, blame fatigue :p)

So maybe 4+ Armor w/ 4++ if they move but can move 6+D3" or a Flat +3" per turn and can Move-Shoot-Run in that order Specifically; their run also getting a +D3" or Fleet.

Y'know, something along those lines, I guess? Also, I'd probably let them shoot each pistol they have twice? Maybe?

A recon armoured jump pack squad acting as Destroyer wet dreams sounds incredible.

Move Through Cover Jump Infantry is brilliant. Perhaps a special wargear that allows them 'plunging fire'; if they use their Jump Packs in the movement phase, then during subsequent shooting phase they gain -1 to enemy cover saves (except against Zooming Flyers/Swooping FMC's)

I'm slightly wary of giving bs5 to mass plasma, and redning can feel like an overdone rule.

In respect to similar units; I believe Athrawes Volta Terminator Squads are Gunslinging Volkite Chargers; so I still think bolt pistols should be basic.

As legion elite, perhaps the Sergeant could get dual Archaeotech Pistols?

And finally, as 'Masters of Air' let them make a Vector Strike?

Outside of Templates, not very. Mechanicum have a few maluses (Djinn Skeins, etc) and the Typhon and Phosphex Weapons are pretty nuc only other ones which spring out in my nind.

Iron Warriors havics have the -1 to cover, and that is kind of where I took the idea from plunging fire from- essentially jumo up and ignore intervening cover etc.

Ok. After reading through Cypher's profile, I'm getting a better idea of what I want to do.

Instead of an invul save, I'm leaning towards a better cover save when the unit moves.

I like Hesh's idea of them wearing Recon armor as standard, with the possibility to upgrade to power armor.

Instead of giving them an extra shot (which could make the plasma/melta fire crazy), I think giving them the choice to shoot at two different units would be more fighting.

After reading through the Battle of the Forge, I was inspired on how to create the unique tactical squad. Instead of making them better or more elite, I want to go in the opposite direction.

BS 3

WS 3

Standard squad size: 20

Max squad size: 40.

The idea is that Jade is trying to compensate for his small legion size with quantity.

Cool Idea. Depend on how extreme you want to be you could either give this unit the Support Unit special rule, or the regular Tactical Squad. Would mean that he is either rushing tons of the less well trained marines out to the front lines, or that they are more held in reserve to gain some seasoning.

Mine will be all-natural. I like this from a meta view since it harkens to the infamous Yellow Tide. Alternatively, it also evokes the legions of mooks in a Dynasty Warriors game.

[Peon Squad]                                                                                    210 points

(Warriors of Peace Only)

WS      BS      S      T      W      I      A      LD      Sv

Peon                                  3         3      4       4      1      4      1       8       3+

Peon Sergeant                     4         4      4       4      1      4       2      9       3+

Unit Composition

• 19 Peons
  • 1 Peon Sergeant

Unit Type

• Infantry 

Wargear

• Power Armor
  • Bolter
  • Bolt Pistol
  • Frag and Krak Grenades

Special Rules

• Legiones Astartes (Warriors of Peace)

Options

·         The Peon Squad may take:

o   Up to 20 additional Peons………………..................................8 points each

·         The entire Peon Squad may do one of the following:

o   Exchange their bolter for a combat blade or chainsword ………Free

o   Take an additional combat blade or chainsword……………………2 points each

·         One Space Marine may take a Nuncio-vox................................................+10 points

·         One Space Marine may take a Legion Vexilla.............................................+10 points

·         The squad's Sergeant may take melta bombs............................................+5 points

·         The Peon Squad's Sergeant may exchange their bolter for one of the following:

o   Combi-Weapon………………………………………………………….+10 points

o   Plasma Pistol…………………………………………………………....+15 points

o   Heavy Chainsword……………………………………………….…….+5 points

o   Power Weapon………………………………………………………….+10 points

o   Power Fist……………………………………………………......…….+15 points

o    Single Lighting Claw…………………………………………………..+15 points

Edited by simison