DCA vs. Sicarian Ruststalkers

I'm getting back into 40k, and want to make a force with loads of kitbashed minis.  The Inquisition has appealed to me since the release of the old Inquisitor game, and when I put the brakes on my 40k playing back at the end of 5th Ed. I had started a small Inquisitor force that I just dug out.    

My question right now is, looking at the profiles, I'm wanting to run some DCA, but if I later include a Skitarii detatchment would Ruststalkers be redundant?  

I'm envisioning an army that ultimately will potentially include units/detachments/formations from any of the Imperial forces to represent an Inquisitor's personal crusade with the inspiration for my Warlord inquisitor being Peter the Hermit, one of the more, well, let's say colorful personalities of the First Crusade.  

What's wrong with redundancy? I've seen this idea on the B&C and have even heard it in my old gaming group that having something redundant on the battlefield is a heresy. Why?

What do Death Cult Assassins do best? Kill the enemy with their high Initiative and a great Weapon Skill. I would use them to destroy your enemy's elites/bodyguards. What do Ruststalkers do best? Depends on how you kit them out but they can be used to destroy the enemy's armour, take out their equivalent Terminator units, and mow down hordes of Power Armour.

Hope that helps clear up something.

My concerns regarding redundancy is that I will be starting out at low points, probably 1,000 to 1,500 for a while.  At that point level, my resources are scarce and if I have one unit which can accomplish task A, a second unit which can accomplish task A, and a third unit which can accomplish task B, but I can only afford points-wise to bring two units it might make sense to bring a unit which can accomplish task A and one which can accomplish task B.  Showing up to a battle where I know that my force will need to accomplish task A and task B with two units which are both geared toward task A doesn't make a lot of sense.  

Mehman's second paragraph pretty much answers the question I was asking pretty well and does in deed clear things up.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived