SW1's Slow decent into madness (given up counting models)

SW1

While looking for stuff to build certain pieces of scenery I've been forced to start sorting out my 2 decades worth of collecting. If I still had a full room to do the sorting out it would be a lot easier but a growing family means hobby space has to go. There is still a small corner of the bedroom which will be curtained off and 2 glass fronted cabinets to store the finished models in. The wife's said I either fill them with finished models or get rid as they've been sat mainly empty for several years.

So I'm going to use this blog to log what I have and then see how much of it I can get painted up. The logging bit is likely to take quite a while. msn-wink.gif

One of the things you will quickly notice is there's a lot of metal models. I love the quality of the new plastic kits but there's something special about lead and white metal models which new light models don't have. Maybe I'm just going mad with all this lead. laugh.png

I'll be reserving the next couple of entries so I can format things a bit better.

Not sure if I should just do myself a list of models or photograph them as I'm going?

There's a few armies I want to end up with. The models that are left over, well we'll see if there are any or if I just need to buy more. The armies I want to end up with are ...

Guard Army: Headed up by a Rogue Trader, mainly using metal Guard and Necromunda models. There will also be a large contingent of abhumans and the odd super heavy.

As an additional to the Rogue Traders force I have a large number of the old Brettonian knights which I want to convert up into Rough Riders. If these go ahead they will be a distinctly different force much brighter and gaudy. But this is getting ahead of myself, I must finish off the Guard first!!!

Space Wolves: I have enough models to do more than a Great Companies worth. Really fell out of love with them when things got added like TWC and now Santa. But I may try doing them old school keeping the to the fluffy (not furry) picture in my head. So plenty of classic metal bodies with the new wonderful plastic arms mixed in and a few of the plastics bodies as well.

Ultramarines: I have dug out in the past all the models required to cover the 5th company in full plus support of a good chunk of the 1st and 10th companies. There should be a box/bag of smurfs somewhere mainly blue as I got most of them undercoated. I know some models got nabbed when I had ideas for other forces but I should be able to patch these holes up. I don't know if I want to resurrect these or combine them into the next army to be listed which was my Crusade force.

Space Marine Crusade Force: I've got a lot of different marine models some being chapter specific like BA's. If I don't do the smurfs I think I'll use up my random collection of models/units to create a Crusade Force all with a unified crusade badge. This appeals more than doing a single company as there's lots of colours I'm either rusty painting or have never really tried painting before. So this gives me plenty of scope to really push myself. It also give me a chance to have a colourful force as the Guard Force is going to be black/grey and the wolves will be grey.

Inquisition: I've got a few of the old metal TDA =][= models and there's a large WHFB Empire collection to plunder as well for this force. I've also got a bunch of Arbites I wanted to tie into supporting an Inquisitor, plus I have enough pads squirrelled away to do a reasonable sized Deathwatch Force. Bit of a mixed bag but it's a catch all to cover the multiple little projects all loosely centred around the idea of an =][= force.

All the pics can be found here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/album/11230-sw1s-to-do-list/

Imperial Guard

Named Characters:

- Marbo

Characters/Officers:

Catachan:

- Officer with bolter and power sword

- Officer with power fist and bolt pistol

- Officer with power fist and plasma pistol

- Officer with power sword and bolt pistol

- Officer with bolter

- Officer with power sword and plasma pistol

Commissar:

- 2 Commissars with bolt pistols

- Commissar with power fist

- Commissar with power sword and plasma pistol

- Commissar with power axe and laspistol

- Commissar with power sword and bolt pistol

- Commissar with bolter and chainsword

Payker:

- 2 Primaris Psykers

Priest:

- Priest with chainsword

Storm Troopers:

Abhumans:

- 10 Ratlings

Catachan's:

- 37 lasguns

- 7 flamers

- 4 grenade launchers

- 11 meltas

- 3 sniper rifles

- 4 plasma guns

- 2 heavy flamers

- 4 demo charges

- 1 grunt suitable to make into demo charge

- 4 lascannon teams (8 grunts)

- 8 missile launcher teams (16 grunts)

- 1 heavy bolter team (2 grunts)

- 3 vox units

- 6 sergeants with bolt pistol and chainsword

- 1 sergeant with laspistol and chainsword

Not listed for the Catachan's is a big pile of plastics. I've avoided the current plastic squad kit which is a really dated sculpt. However I have loaded up on the heavy weapon teams and command squads in plastic. The command squads were got to add extra bodies to the HWS so I can use as many of them as possible. ;)

Necromunda Skum:

- Telekenetic Psyker

Esher:

- Mad Donna Ulanti

- Leader with bolter and bolt pistol (possible officer)

Orlock:

- 2 Leaders with bolter and power axe

- Leader with bolt pistol and power axe

- ganger with demo charge and shotgun

Tanks:

Space Marines

Named Characters:

- Original BA Captain (named as Tycho in an early WD battle report, the name stuck and he had a new model sculpted for him)

- Captain Tycho

Captains:

- Captain in TDA with power fist, storm bolter and grenade harness (or is it digital weapons?)

- Captain in PA with thunder hammer

- Captain in PA with storm bolter and power sword

Librarians:

- Librarian in TDA with storm bolter and force axe

- Librarian in TDA with storm bolter

- Librarian in TDA with force staff

- Librarian in TDA with force axe

- Librarian in PA with force staff

- Librarian in PA with force axe

- Librarian in PA with force sword

Chaplains:

- Chaplain in TDA with storm bolter and crozius

- Chaplain in TDA with crozius

- Chaplain in TDA

- Chaplain on bike with crozius

- Chaplain in PA with crozius

- Chaplain in PA (needs a lot of tlc or converting into a different character) currently with lightning claws

Techpriests:

- Master of the Forge

Apothecaries:

- Apothecary

- Apothecary

- Apothecary

Standard Bearers:

- Standard Bearer

- Standard Bearer (missing standard top)

Terminators:

- 5 man Terminator Squad with assault cannon (really old example of TDA models)

Sergeants:

- BA Sergeant with power fist

- 2 Biker Sergeants with power sword

- 2 Sergeants with bionic arms and chainswords

- 4 Sergeants with bolter and under slung grenade launcher

Special Weapons:

- 11 plasma gunners (4 of them are biker bodies)

- 7 melta gunners (4 of them are biker bodies)

- 3 flamer gunners

Marines:

- 15 metal BA beakies (possibly death company?)

- 10 metal BA marines with teardrop on leg (possibly death company?)

- 11 metal BA marines with skull on leg (possibly death company?)

- 8 metal beakies looking right

- 6 metal beakies looking forward

- 1 metal beakie with purity seal

=][= Inquisition =][=

Inquisitors:

Retinue:

- 2 Priests with hammers (WHFB Priest of Sigmar models)

- Urhia Jakobs (spelling?) Priest

- Confessor (special character not sure on name)

- 3 Priests with evissorator (including OOP limited edition model)

Assassins:

- Evisar Assassin

Deathwatch:

- 20+ Deathwatch pads (I've got a few more squirrelled away somewhere there was a plan to do a decent sized force) ;)

- 2 Random marines I've started to make into DW (just adding gs =][= to the heads and improved optics) might just scrap and start again using Errant armour instead.

- 7 Errant Armour marines

Arbites:

Dangit, Mactire, you got here before me! I curse you to forever enjoy the hobby! Yeah, priests can do that sort of thing biggrin.png.

Anywho, it'll be fun to look at your whole collection, SW. Make sure all that lead doesn't make you turn batty happy.png!

Should be a laugh and hopefully it will get me motivated to paint outside the ETL. The last 3 years I've failed to paint anything outside of the ETL which is a waisted 9 months a year or 27 months if you add it up!!!

I've also realised there's some Chaos bits in the collection and I have some 30k bits as well. But they will both need a lot more buying to make them into a decent force so not being included in this blog. It's meant to get existing models finished rather than encourage me to buy more. ;)

I've also decided on a reward system that will encourage me to get through the models. The reward system will be in 2 steps. Prepping and then finished models. The aim is to get myself a few super heavies but not until I have sorted out a good chunk of the backlog. I've split it into two stages as metal models generally take a fair amount of prepping (mould lines take a lot more work to remove on metal models than plastics).

So I get a reward/credit when the model is cleaned and undercoated. Then a further credit once it's finished painting. The funds built up will be my new model fund and I stick to just getting new models with it. So in the long run I get my collection painted up and I also get new models.

So I was thinking of a £1 a unit entry. But different units take different amounts of effort. For example a character is a single 28mm model while a guard squad is 10 times the work.

So all units when they are over 6 men (so Guard Special Weapon Squads don't mess things up) get broken up into 5 men chunks. So a command squad would end up being £1 prepped (£2 in total once painted) and a normal grunt squad would be £2 (£4 in total once painted). Characters and unit additions (master of ordinance etc) would be a £1 each (£2 in total once painted). Things like Ogryns would be £1 for every 3 (minimum squad size). Going off the backlog of models I have just for the Guard if I clear them all with the above incentive I should be on track to get atleast 2 super heavies.

Then there's the tanks, they all need a heavy dose of tlc. I've really left them to one side until my plasticard skills improve as I'll need to fabricate parts of some of the hulls. So the incentive point will be £5 so once fully painted they'll get me a total of £10 each. Once I get the super heavies as rewards I won't class them in this as they will be a reward in themselves. :D

The other benefit in doing models to a prepped and undercoated point is that I will have lots of models ready to go for my annual push on the painting front (aka ETL session). :tu:

Starting to get a bit more organised as to the format I want everything in and trying to remember old coding to get things as I want it. First bunch of characters are updated in the SM section. The question is do I take individual pics or get a section together and take a single pic of say all the same type of model? Once I start working my way through these having to pull out a bunch of models to take a new group pic might become tedious. I'm leaning towards taking individual pics and maybe put them in a new entry before adding them to the list. The other option is to hide them (once I work out how to do that) behind a hidden content marker under each section.

There's pic in the link in the first page for each of the listed models above. Currently on a mobile at the moment and I can't copy the image link into a post at the moment. Will stick all the currently uploaded ones in a post shortly.

Time for some pic's ...

Captains:

- Captain in PA with thunder hammer

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_197996.jpg

- Captain in PA with storm bolter and power sword

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_79656.jpg

Librarians:

- Librarian in TDA with force staff

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_259286.jpg

- Librarian in TDA

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_107005.jpg

- Librarian in PA with force staff

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_18001.jpg

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_60539.jpg

Chaplains:

- Chaplain in TDA with storm bolter and crozius

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_14386.jpg

- Chaplain in TDA with crozius

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_377499.jpg

- Chaplain in TDA

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_49469.jpg

- Chaplain on bike with crozius

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_202458.jpg

- Chaplain in PA with crozius

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_21807.jpg

- Chaplain in PA (needs a lot of tlc or converting into a different character) currently with lightning claws

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_53110.jpg

Techpriests:

- Master of the Forge

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_210505.jpg

Apothecaries:

- Apothecary

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_235365.jpg

- Apothecary

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_217203.jpg

- Apothecary

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_121986.jpg

Found my bag of metal beakies. There's 30 of them waiting for some paint. They're a mix of Blood Angle (not sure if they're death company ones?) beakies and generic ones. There's also a bag of BA's need to sort through them then I'll post pics. :)

Sorry about the quality of the initial pictures. I'm working with a camera phone so they're not the best especially when viewed on a monitor. The next lot should be a bit better as I have hopefully got the lighting better.

To start off with I found some missing bits for some of the models already listed and have updated their entries ...

- missing force axe for one of the Librarians in TDA

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_20804.jpg

- missing servo harness for the Master of the Forge

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_268899.jpg

There's also some random bits ...

- Bunch of PA leaders backpacks

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_507834.jpg

Now onto the important stuff which is the actual models. This little lot will take me up to a current running total of 121 marines in total ...

Space Marines (including Blood Angles)

Named Characters:

- Original BA Captain (named as Tycho in an early WD battle report, the name stuck and he had a new model sculpted for him)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_373910.jpg

- Captain Tycho

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_5791.jpg

Captains:

- Captain in TDA with power fist, storm bolter and grenade harness (or is it digital weapons?)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_331450.jpg

Librarians:

- Librarian in PA with force axe

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_29123.jpg

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_282946.jpg

- Librarian in TDA with storm bolter and force axe

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_178483.jpg

- Librarian in TDA with storm bolter

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_244603.jpg

Terminators:

- 5 man Terminator Squad with assault cannon (really old example of TDA models)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_400826.jpg

Sergeants:

- BA Sergeant with power fist

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_211078.jpg

- 2 Biker Sergeants with power sword

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_690323.jpg

- 2 Sergeants with bionic arms and chainswords

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_237298.jpg

- 4 Sergeants with bolter and under slung grenade launcher

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_1138143.jpg

Marines:

- 15 metal BA beakies (possibly death company?)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_162450.jpg

- 10 metal BA marines with teardrop on leg (possibly death company?)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_339937.jpg

- 11 metal BA marines with skull on leg (possibly death company?)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_91889.jpg

- 8 metal beakies looking left

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_565020.jpg

- 6 metal beakies looking forward

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_510583.jpg

- 1 metal beakie with purity seal

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_193485.jpg

- 11 plasma gunners (4 of them are biker bodies)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_159764.jpg

- 7 melta gunners (4 of them are biker bodies)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_142395.jpg

- 3 flamer gunners

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_263735.jpg

- 2 Standard Bearers

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_636023.jpg

gallery_25187_11230_36038.jpg

=][= Inquisition =][=

Deathwatch:

- 20+ Deathwatch pads (I've got a few more squirrelled away somewhere there was a plan to do a decent sized force) ;)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_12969.jpg

- 2 Random marines I've started to make into DW (just adding gs =][= to the heads and improved optics) might just scrap and start again using Errant armour instead.

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_249191.jpg

gallery_25187_11230_231750.jpg

- 7 Errant Armour marines

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_888971.jpg

Space Wolves

- Rune Priest in TDA with force axe

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_318550.jpg

As this thread is so pic heavy and will get more so I've stuck everything behind hidden content. Do those who are interested want all pics hidden or should I leave some of the juicier pics (really old oop stuff) showing?

I've found the bag of blue marines (Smurf's 5th company). Not sure if I should strip them and then photograph or just stick them up as they are. I've also found the bulk of the Terminators I've squirrelled away. I love the metal bodies but the new plastic arms as so much better. For the really old lead TDA models I'll stick to the original arms but may move over to the plastics for more recent models.

I am quite chuffed that the really old TDA Captain, Librarian and Terminator Squad turned up. I've been looking on and off for them for atleast a year or more!!! :tu:

There's 6 metal Land Speeders to add to the ever growing list, but only one is complete. :(

The rest have odd broken (bent/snapped) bits. Now I realise with such old models I can't just buy replacement bits. So I'll have to look at fabricating the bits I need. I'll probably use a combination of scratch building, instant mould with gs and resin casting techniques. It won't be perfect but it will mean I can give the models a new lease of life rather than a short trip to the smelters.

I also need to go through a decent sized bag of bikes (that reminds me I need to finish off my bike bases) and work out exactly what I have. There must be 30 or more which I can see becoming a White Scars part of the crusade force. :D

Just glad I've got an airbrush to help with the base coating of these models as to do them by hand would be rather tedious.

After much though I think the smurfs and bikes are going to have a long soak in some dettol. I find leaving them in for a month or so means the paint comes off without much effort. ;) I can then have a go at sorting through them.

So that means I need to move on to the guard. Now I've not really worked out exactly how they're getting put into squads quite yet. So there will probably be pics of big piles of grunts. Doubt I'll split them into individual poses but groupings by weapons is the likely outcome. I've never managed to do a full body-count on them so we'll see if I'm more successful this time around. Should be interesting in exactly how many points worth of guard I have and if it's possible to do the lot next ETL? Wishful thinking/daydreams but the idea is still there. :)

This time it's the Guard and Inquisition getting a few models listed. Think there's over 150 models in this lot. Pics won't be added till later on tonight as I have to go into work for the late afternoon/evening. sad.png

The pile of still to sort out for the guard is about the same amount again. With plenty of gangers especially Orlock, Esher and Goliath which work pretty well with the Catachan's. I think I've managed to pull out most, if not all of the metal Catachan models. So the rest of the guard models should be from the other metal Guard ranges.

Catachan's:
- 37 lasguns

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_119109.jpg

- 7 flamers

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_555043.jpg

- 4 grenade launchers

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_270620.jpg

- 11 meltas

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_49167.jpg

- 3 sniper rifles

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_321172.jpg

- 4 plasma guns

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_813575.jpg

- 2 heavy flamers

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_324004.jpg

- 4 demo charges

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_415858.jpg

- 1 grunt suitable to make into demo charge

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_207697.jpg

- 4 lascannon teams (8 grunts)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_296957.jpg

- 8 missile launcher teams (16 grunts)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_818429.jpg

- 1 heavy bolter team (2 grunts)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_133182.jpg

- 3 vox units

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_19580.jpg

- 6 sergeants with bolt pistol and chainsword

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_239486.jpg

- 1 sergeant with laspistol and chainsword

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_347012.jpg

- Officer with bolter and power sword

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_347243.jpg

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_119121.jpg

- Officer with power fist and plasma pistol

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_67587.jpg

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_380214.jpg

- Officer with power sword and bolt pistol

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_18095.jpg

- Officer with bolter

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_194701.jpg

- Officer with power sword and plasma pistol

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_169132.jpg

- Marbo

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_355817.jpg

There's now 90 pics in the album which can be found here ... http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/album/11230-sw1s-to-do-list/

I'll update the previous post with the relevant pic tomorrow under each entry.

I did think it was going to be a bit of a chore working through the backlog but I don't feel like I've made much of a dent even though there's not far off 300 models already listed. Just glad the B&C don't allow WHFB and xenos or I'd never finish. Though they need to be worked through at some point as well!!!

Not listed for the Catachan's is a big pile of plastics. I've avoided the current plastic squad kit which is a really dated sculpt. However I have loaded up on the heavy weapon teams and command squads in plastic. The command squads were got to add extra bodies to the HWS so I can use as many of them as possible. msn-wink.gif

Commissars:
- 2 Commissars with bolt pistols

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_411380.jpg

- Commissar with power fist

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_185262.jpg

- Commissar with power sword and plasma pistol

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_333537.jpg

- Commissar with power axe and laspistol

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_413594.jpg

- Commissar with power sword and bolt pistol

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_100765.jpg

- Commissar with bolter and chainsword

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_372052.jpg

Other:
- 10 Ratlings

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_372037.jpg

- 2 Primaris Psykers

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_105067.jpg

- Priest with chainsword

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_426945.jpg

Next up are a few of Necromunda models. Next update will have loads of them in. smile.png

Necromunda Skum:
- Telekenetic Psyker

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_76290.jpg

Esher:
- Mad Donna Ulanti

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_143852.jpg

- Leader with bolter and bolt pistol (possible officer)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_56520.jpg

Orlock:
- 2 Leaders with bolter and power axe

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_224493.jpg

- Leader with bolt pistol and power axe

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_64305.jpg

- ganger with demo charge and shotgun

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_63285.jpg

And finally we have his holy =][=.

Inquisition:
- 2 Priests with hammers

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_34765.jpg

- Urhia Jakobs (spelling?) Priest

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_76242.jpg

- Confessor (special character not sure on name)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_266709.jpg

- 3 Priests with evissorator (including OOP limited edition model)

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_610505.jpg

- Evisar Assasin

Hidden Content
gallery_25187_11230_64305.jpg

Whoops. Had to split the last update as it was too many pics even with them hidden!!!

Need to tot up the exact number of models we're currently running at and then crack on with the rest of the of them. ;)

Think the Guard will get most of the hobby prepping for now as they're the ones I did for the ETL that's just finished so hopefully some of the forward momentum can be carried over. :D

Just counted up and there's a total of 260 models currently in the list. Will be good to get the rest of the guard counted up and included. Looking at some of the models I was considering using I think I'll pull the plug on the Redemptionists and Cawdor. Not 100% sold on using the Vann Saar or the Delack either. Though I think the Delack would work well in representing alpha legion spies with the snake logo they have going.

Cheers Bloodbath.

The wife's worryingly pointed out I've just done the hard bit of getting stuff ready for ebay. :(

Nnnnnnooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Hmmm ... I think I'll just amend the ebay password and erm ... HELP!!!

Going to start working on models rather than just listing.

Archived