SW1's Slow decent into madness (given up counting models)

SW1

To get a start on working through the mountain of lead I've decided to join the Tale of 18 Hobbyists. A challenge to get 2,000 points painted up between September and February with a 500 word blurb to go with each months completions.

I've decided to go with an Inquisitorial force partly to find a way of shoehorning in all the Necromunda Juves I have knocking around plus the TDA Inquisitors, Deathwatch, Grey Knights and other random models I'll find hard to squeeze in.

I'll still continue to work my way through prepping for the next ETL but hopefully I'll have a nice army well before then with an actual back story which I have never had before. :lol:

So the next update to the model log will be Necromunda heavy rather than guard heavy. I've also stuck in some extra Inquisitors to soak in dettol. I'm thinking this time around large volumes of dettol with a few models, in rather than squeezing as many models into a container as possible and then topping up with dettol. Should make clean up a little less messy!!! ;)

• 2 months later...

Wow that's been a bit of a gap.

The wife's been on at me for not making any headway in clearing the backlog. So to look like I'm making some progress I've spent all afternoon clipping marine bits from sprues. A lot of them from sprues 20+ years old with just a few bits in each of them and space wolf sprues.

Let's just say I won't have any problems sourcing bare heads when I finally do the wolves 30k style. ;)

In preparation for this I raided the pound shop and purchased several multi packs of screws. They happened to come in some nice compartmentalised trays. :tu:

I think I've managed to save about a cubic meter of space. :D

Doh ... Just realised how late it's got and then stabbed myself with a random scalpel blade while trying to rush tidying up. Superglued the cut but might be a bit deep and require stitches. :/ Will see if the superglue holds.

There's almost 150 plastic space wolves heads (bare heads and the wolf head ones). Mixed in with a bunch of mkIII heads they should look the job. I think I'll take the topnots off the mkVI and mk VII helmets and use them on the mkIII to make them look more the part. So my planned 30k wolves will go head nicely. I've also found a large number of bezerker shoulder pads with the little dags around the edge. I'm thinking of adding a plasticard trim to the edges to convert them into mkIII pads.

Lol ... But thats a job for next year.

Need to purchase more boxes to sort bits into as I'm running out of box space.

I also found a few 30k Iron Hands I started years ago but never got to finishing them. I think they need to get painted up ASAP. ;)

The last week or so has found me sifting through many boxes sorting out different kits. I think I've now got all my WHFB stuff into boxes put away to be sorted out at a later date minus a few choice bits which will be plundered for my current =][= project.

So I'm left with several big boxes of what should just be imperial stuff (most of the Xenos should have been sifted out while I was removing the WHFB stuff). So I've invested in a load of stackable boxes and started the sorting out. First off there was a load of stuff still on sprue. They were the easiest to sort out so I stripped them off the sprue. I now have all my PA/TDA Grey Knights kits and BA Sanguinary Guard sorted, so when I need to plunder them for bits, the arms and weapons are together rather than scrambling about for the matching bits. The biggest job was cutting off the weapons, arms, pads, etc from all the old sprues that got with the 100's of old metal marines I have collected (wish I had the level of spare cash I'd had in my youth now). If I want to actually build and paint them all I'll need to carefully manage this resource as I can't afford to replace every single arm with new ones. So models I've broken down have where possible had the plastic parts saved and put in dettol to strip them. Saying that if I notice arms going cheap on bits sites I'll get them as and when I can afford them, plus certain kits have loads of extra arms for example the SW's kit and the above mentioned GK's. So careful purchases are helping bridge the gap.

The self imposed deadline is Friday for sorting out bits as I need to decorate the room. Surprisingly the outlook is finishing it midweek. Lol ... Let's see if I can actually finish something hobby related for once!!!

Well I now have two large Tupperware boxes of bits left to sort through and a big box of tanks (full ones and parts).

Then it's time to sort out the paints and scratch building materials.

Sooo close to finishing!!! :D

And sidetracked by shiney shiney syndrome.

The HH box has found it's way into my hands and all sorting has stopped. Well I'm working for the next 3 days anyway so little if anysorting would of happened anyway. ;)

I fancy seeing what the models would look like with SW heads so on the way out to work I just grabbed the 2 boxes of SW heads along with the plastics troops from the box. Having stuff sorted and organised has already paid off as prior to the sort out I couldn't have just grabbed anything!!! :tu:

Today is the first day of a much more organised me. :D

Yesterday saw me working on removing the bulk of the bonding studs from the armour of the mk4 from the box set. I might leave a small number on just the lower legs of a few but all the studs on the knee pads are being shaved off. Really need to find my files to finish off the job properly.

I also played about with bluetac'ing bits together with SW heads. It's now a toss up between going SoH or SW with them. In the long run it may end up being both.

There are loads of extra weapons in the kit which would be a shame to waist. I also happen to have a bunch of models requiring weapons. So in a roundabout way buying it will help me get through the backlog. ;)

I can see FW doing extra sales with people buying extra bodies to use the weapons up. If I didn't have the bodies already I'd be investing in more.

While cleaning up the parts from the kit I decided to do a few calculations on what you can actually get out of the kit with enough bodies to stick them on and came out with atleast 60 marines. So the aim is to do this with only models I have. There will be a need to fudge some arms but that's part of the fun. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well my deadline for getting the hobby space sorted has been and gone. I've finally got sorted with the bits and there's much more than I realised. I've filled up the lower half of one of the display units it's a space 14" x 30" x 30" and it's full of bits of incompleted models and spare parts. I've just got one more shelf which I've already earmarked for the guard models.

My Vampire Counts Army which previously took up this space are now in foam put away for when I get the motivation to start up WHFB again in whatever form it is in then.

The SW's have been pulled out ready for rebasing and possibly a repaint. They're too bright at the moment. Though that might be a job for a future ETL?

I've also given up trying to catalogue the models in question as I've just sorted through well over a thousand models worth of bits and I don't have the time to actually catalogue them all.

So it's :tu: for finally sorting but :( for doing it that quickly I couldn't log it all. Silver linings, clouds and all that jazz.

Archived