Does a Primarch HAVE to be the Warlord?

Ishagu

I'm sure I read something once in one of the books but can't find it since...

Anyways, I really like the new Centurion rules published recently, namely the fixed warlord trait. I can definitely fit one in my list to have him boost the cc of Guilliman and the Suzerains...

I don't want to hijack but I'm a little confused, do Primarch's have guarenteed warlord traits? Or are they unable to have a warlord trait? I know that Fulgrim can choose any trait he wants, but I would imagine all of the other Primarchs would have guarnteed traits. 

• 3 months later...

I don't want to hijack but I'm a little confused, do Primarch's have guarenteed warlord traits? Or are they unable to have a warlord trait? I know that Fulgrim can choose any trait he wants, but I would imagine all of the other Primarchs would have guarnteed traits.

Nope, for some reason the best commanders in the galaxy cannot their choose warlord trait (except for Fulgrim cus he has swag).

All the answers to this thread are found on page 186 of Betrayal where it tells you how to use Primarchs in the game, and 189 where it details the "Master of the Legion" rule.

"Any model with the primarch rule is automatically the armies warlord and they do not roll for warlord traits (these will have been included in their own unique abilities"

To be fair if your army includes a primarch can you imagine they deferring command to an underling? No offense but I'm surprised you're entertaining this as a thought! tongue.png

I could see Angron being in command at the start of the battle, running off into the fray once the nails go off then someone like Khârn thinking "o wait, someone has to actually issue orders around here". happy.png Besides Angron though I don't see any primarch giving up command (and Angron isn't doing it intentionally).

Archived