2500 pts ULTRAMARINES, advice needed

Logren

Hi all,

I'm looking from advice from players to build my heresy Ultramarine army list. 

Here is my first list, it includes most of the miniatures i own, with the exception of the Spartan:

Liste Ultramarines 2452pts

HQ 402pts

- Legion Praetor Dux Augustus 177pts
cataphractii armor / digilasers / volkite charger / paragon blade

- Legion champion Aeonid Thiel 125pts
Artificer armor / jump pack / refractor shield / master crafted power sword

- Primus medicae Asclepios 120pts
Cataphractii armor

TROOPS 695pts

- Legion tactical squad Marsala (10men) 235pts
Sgt with power fist / Artificer armor / melta bombs / nuncio vox / legion vexilla / rhino "Legio Victor"

- Legion tactical squad Scipio (10men) 230pts
Sgt with power sword / Artificer armor / melta bombs / nuncio vox / legion vexilla / rhino "Angel Steed"

- Legion tactical squad Falco (10men) 230pts
Sgt with power sword / Artificer armor / melta bombs / nuncio vox / legion vexilla / rhino "Achille last stand"

ELITE 870pts

-Legion terminator squad Caliseus (10men) 685pts
reaper autocanon / 5 power fists / 2 chainfists / cataphractii armor) / Spartan "Steel Fury" (armored ceramite)

-Contemptor Optimus 185pts
2 close combat weapons / extra armor

FAST ATTACK 330pts

- Locutarus storm squad Aquilon (10men) 330pts
2 plasma pistols / hand flamer / sgt with melta bombs

HEAVY SUPPORT 135pts

- Legion heavy support squad Volcor 135pts

I think that the Logos Lectora would be great for this. I'd say drop the primus medicae for an apothecary or 2, and use the spare points to get yourself a Master of Signals or damocles rhino for some juicy AP3 large blasts. Also give the Locaturus 2 hand flamers instead of 2 plasma pistols. 6 flame templates will do a pretty neat chunk of damage to almost any infantry it comes across. Other than that you're looking pretty solid.

I think that the Logos Lectora would be great for this. I'd say drop the primus medicae for an apothecary or 2, and use the spare points to get yourself a Master of Signals or damocles rhino for some juicy AP3 large blasts. Also give the Locaturus 2 hand flamers instead of 2 plasma pistols. 6 flame templates will do a pretty neat chunk of damage to almost any infantry it comes across. Other than that you're looking pretty solid.

Where would the Apothecaries go? He's using 10 man Tacs in Rhinos.

In the list i intended, the primus medicae is supposed to be in a big unit that comprises the terminator squad and the Praetor, in the Spartan, to make avery strong and resillient unit and to protect the Praetor.

Do you think i should drop the Rhinos and add apothecaries to the tac squads (and doing so, increase the size of the squads?).

In the list i intended, the primus medicae is supposed to be in a big unit that comprises the terminator squad and the Praetor, in the Spartan, to make avery strong and resillient unit and to protect the Praetor.

Do you think i should drop the Rhinos and add apothecaries to the tac squads (and doing so, increase the size of the squads?).

Better off having the mobility. In all seriousness, if you're to swap an HQ to be able to run the RoW then the Legion Champion is the first to go. Hes probably the weakest of the Consuls due to the Praetor doing the same job, better and not for all that much more.

If you wanted a JP HQ to tag along with your Locutarus, a Chaplain would serve you better, even another Primus Medicae wouldnt be a bad choice nor would a Librarian.

Also: why the Heavy Support squad with Heavy Bolters? For nearly the same cost you can take a Sicaran which is leaps and bounds better.

I'd probably try to get a Flare Shield on that Spartan - it's made of win. Also, you have a hand flamer on the Locutarus sergeant, but plasma pistols for the 2 squad members - why not focus on one or the other?

And I have to agree with Slips about the HSS with heavy bolters. But if it is a fluff choice, I understand.

Also: why the Heavy Support squad with Heavy Bolters? For nearly the same cost you can take a Sicaran which is leaps and bounds better.

I took them because i love the models happy.png and because i see the battles of the Heresy as a fotsoldier fest like in the great artworks of Adeptus Titanicus.

For the legion champion, i initially took it because i have a great conversion of aeonid Thiel in mind. A chaplain seems less fluffy than a champion for the Ultramarines on the HH, but i see your point in terms of game mechanics.

To sum up I go with a flare shield on the Spartan, full hand flamers on the Locutarus squad. For the consul i'm not sure yet. Thanks for your advices, and feel free to add more smile.png

Noob question here, wouldn't a plasma blaster be better then the reaper autocannon since the terminators are in the spartan? And to piggyback on that wouldn't two heavy flamers be better if the unit is meant to be a heavy assault unit? Again noob question ....

Well dear Beerhammer you may be absolutely right but unfotunatelly those cataphractii are second hand model that i get already assembled, so that's not an option happy.png (and the reaper autocannon are so awesome!).

Slipstreams advice gave me an idea though, i could use my Aeonid Thiel conversion as the sergeant of the Locutarus squad (after all, he IS a sergeant, even if he fight as a true champion), that would free the slot for an extra HQ, or something else. I think i should stay with three HQ because of the chain of command rule of the legion. Maybe a librarian or indeed a Chaplain could be characterful and a great conversion opportunity wub.png

I took them because i love the models happy.png and because i see the battles of the Heresy as a fotsoldier fest like in the great artworks of Adeptus Titanicus.

For the legion champion, i initially took it because i have a great conversion of aeonid Thiel in mind. A chaplain seems less fluffy than a champion for the Ultramarines on the HH, but i see your point in terms of game mechanics.

To sum up I go with a flare shield on the Spartan, full hand flamers on the Locutarus squad. For the consul i'm not sure yet. Thanks for your advices, and feel free to add more smile.png

Fair enough! I'll cede the point to your idea of what should be in the force, its your fun not mine, after all :P

For Aenoid Thiel, you could easily model him as you intended and run him as a Chaplain. In 30k, theres no real means of depicting a Chaplain like 40k: They arent restricted to Power Mauls (instead gaining a Free Power Weapon) and they weren't forced to wear Black and no Skull-Helmets.

And since Thiel had a Red Helmet for Censure, he should be different enough from the rest of your Ultramarines that you shouldn't forget about his Ruleset.

You'd still also be able to run him as you've described above and just add another HQ as you see fit depending on the army you want to run.

Archived