3000 point Thousand Sons campaign list

depthcharge12

Hey guys and gals! I have a winter campaign coming up with a few people and wanted your input on my list. I've already started a project log, but this thread will cover the points cost and my ideas.

Here are a few caveats:

1.) I will be facing three opponents to my knowledge right now. One has a Pride of the Legion SoH army with 3 Spartans packed with terminators ohmy.png Another has a NL terror list supposedly with quite a few drop podded units as well. My final opponent is Athrawes, and he's running an orbital strike list for his Lightning Bearers, which includes a Storm Eagle, two podded Deredeos, a Caestus, and a smattering of assault troops. My method of warfare has always been to eliminate vital units one at a time before assaulting in.

2.) I've never been one to run much in the way of interceptor or skyfire weapons, but it seems that it would be foolhardy not to accommodate for these factors in these campaign games.

3.) To my knowledge, the game will be played in a round robin style format using the campaign and game rules from the FW HH books.

4.) Currently, I'm being allowed to take a ML3 Librarian in place of a praetor for part of my legion rules. The other half is that units with the LA rule may purchase a brotherhood of psykers ML1 for +15 points in any of the normal disciplines (not including Sanctic or Malefic).

Here's the army I've outlined:

Total - 2996 points

HQ

Librarian (160)

+ ML3 Biomancy, AA, Refractor field, Force Stave

-Command Squad (185)

+ 1 member, 1 power fist, 3 power axes, 4 combat shields

Praevian (129)

+ AA/RF/Power Sword/combi plas

-3 Castellax (360)

+ 3 darkfire cannons, 3 enhanced targeting arrays, Tank Hunters

Elites

Contemptor (270)

+ Kheres assault cannon, DCCW with grav cannnon

+ Dread drop pod

Troops

10 Tactical marines (238)

+ 9 extra ccw, rhino DT, Sgt. w/AA/PS/ML1 Divination

20 Assault marines (465)

+ Sgt w/AA/PA/ML 1 Biomancy, 2 PS, 1 PA

6 Support marines (210)

+ 6 plasma guns, Sgt. w/Augury Scanner

Fast Attack

Xiphon (215)

+ Ground tracking auguries

Anvillus dreadclaw (100)

Heavy Support

Land Raider Proteus (250)

+ Explorator Array

Sicaran Venator (190)

Deredeo (220)

+ Anvillus autocannons, Aiolos launcher

Analysis part 1:

So to get some things out of the way, the command squad and Librarian ride in the Anvillus pod, the tacticals have a rhino, the contemptor has a dread pod, and the plasma squad scout up in the proteus. The list is a hammer and anvil style play with the enemy breaking itself on my deployed force, while the drop pod elements and scouted land raider provide a hammer to strike the sides and rear of my opponent.

I'm actually quite glad to find a solid use for the proteus. It scouts up with my plasma guys and provides a haven for them before they hop out and annihilate a TEQ unit, or more likely, soften up said unit for the command squad to assault. Now the Proteus has two other roles that it plays to very well: reserve manipulation and LoS blocker. The re rolls to reserves for me (Xiphon, drop pod) and the negative modifier to my enemy (flyers, drop pods) is invaluable in this campaign. Finally, the tank brings some additional AT support and can provide a LoS blocker as mentioned above to allow my assault troops to move up unmolested. Though nowhere near as durable as the Spartan, I won't quite need that as I can scout the Proteus into an advantageous position (cover) early on.

Obvious Castellax are obvious. They're there to snipe TEQs and heavy armor. They can also serve as an assault unit for more difficult targets.

Alright, now the Librarian. Now I hear you crying, "Depthcharge, you crazy mofo, why do you have a force stave on your warlord? Praetors will eat him for breakfast!!!" My response is, look at what you can achieve with Biomancy. A roughly 50% to get Iron Arm? Now my Librarian has, on the charge, 7 strength 9 (S4 + 2 from stave + 3 from IA) attacks with AP2 from smash. And thats not even factoring in other powers like Warp Speed or Enfeeble. But yes, he is a glass cannon. However, watching the librarian stomp just about any praetor out there is priceless. If I gave him a force axe, he'd likely die anyway before striking, so the force stave is a better bet.

The command squad benefits from being able to sweep by not being in TDA and being fearless from the banner. More than likely the unit will be assaulting a weakened TEQ squad or will be lending support to the assault squad.

Analysis Part 2:

My initial scouting reports have told me that at least two of my opponents possess a primarch and a fellblade. Now, whatever they choose will be key to my strategy as I can handle the tanks, not so much the primarchs. If I can keep the venator alive, it can pull its snapfire shenanigans. In addition, I have the grav/kheres dread to harass a super heavy as well as the Castellax. This strategy also applies to the guy who will likely be spamming Spartans.

If I encounter Curze or Horus, I'll likely need to throw the kitchen sink at them, hoping to get some blind or grav effects on them to slow them down. Any suggestions would be helpful

The Xiphon, Deredeo, and the augury scanner plasma squad will be my response to the drop pods and flyers of two of my opponents. No doubt the Xiphon interceptor will actually be super useful in this endeavor as for why it was created.

That just about wraps up my thoughts...so other than my horrible sentence structure, what are your thoughts as to this list? geek.gif

You lack a lot of heavy hitting units for that points level. I doubt you'll be able to dent those Spartans with what you have available let alone a Fellblade.

The contemptor and Assault Marines are your huge point sinks. The latter may be worth it with Biomancy but still LoWs are going to eat it for breakfast all the same.

The questions on my mind are what other models do you have and will LoWs be restricted.

My thoughts would be drop the command squad give the libby a jump pack and place with the assault Marines so you have 160ish points to play with. I'd consider losing a few members from the assault squad to up the spare points and get something else that can haul Harris around the battlefield to deal with things and stuff. Or some variety of heavier firepower.

Thanks for help!

I've been wanting to do a heavier assault unit, but I don't quite know if it fits the Thousand Sons theme? Everything is pretty much up in the air because I'm getting models as I make the list.

Should I do a squad of terminators? Maybe in a Caestus or Storm Eagle? I was considering making rules for the Scarab occult based off of the Phoenix guard entry: long handled Khopeshes and with combo bolters. Their long handled Khopeshes gain +1 S and are AP2 on the charge, otherwise they're just a +1 S power sword. What other good heavy assault units should I consider?

When I drop the contemptor, Xiphon, and the Praevian/Castellax, I get back roughly 1000 points. From that, should I do an allied detachment of AdMech for 1000 points? Or should I do an Acheron and Castigator knight allied detachment?

Honestly, with the group we are playing with, it's pretty friendly and I could almost guarantee that (while both other players have fellblades) neither of them break them out outside of massive games, they don't really fit the themes of their armies. Honestly, the most common lord of war Depthcharge will have to face is Primarchs Horus and Curze.

On that note, if you are looking to free up points the Sicaran Venator might be something worth dropping. Undoubtably it is handy on the off chance either Mark (The NL player) or Desmond (The SoH Player) bring their fellblade/typhon. But honestly aside from that, Marks list is all air cav, infantry and pods, no tanks really and well Desmond loves his three spartans, they aren't really effected to much by the Venator short of losing a few hull points. My list only has skimmer and flyer vehicles so I guess my question to you is, what potential threat is the Venator there to counter in regular games?

Honestly, with the group we are playing with, it's pretty friendly and I could almost guarantee that (while both other players have fellblades) neither of them break them out outside of massive games, they don't really fit the themes of their armies. Honestly, the most common lord of war Depthcharge will have to face is Primarchs Horus and Curze.

On that note, if you are looking to free up points the Sicaran Venator might be something worth dropping. Undoubtably it is handy on the off chance either Mark (The NL player) or Desmond (The SoH Player) bring their fellblade/typhon. But honestly aside from that, Marks list is all air cav, infantry and pods, no tanks really and well Desmond loves his three spartans, they aren't really effected to much by the Venator short of losing a few hull points. My list only has skimmer and flyer vehicles so I guess my question to you is, what potential threat is the Venator there to counter in regular games?

It was mainly there for anti Spartan/heavy vehicle duty - I was honestly considering a Sicaran, but I was worried that it might be too games considering to of you guys are running pods/flyers. I just didn't want to be list tailoring :P

I really like the idea of an AdMech detachment considering their new rules, but it's hard to fit everything I want into 1000 points.

Alright, here's idea two:

HQ

Librarian (160)

+ ML3 Biomancy, AA, Refractor field, Force Stave

-Command Squad (185)

+ 1 member, 1 power fist, 3 power axes, 4 combat shields

Troops

10 Tactical marines (220)

+ rhino DT, Sgt. w/AA/PS/ML1 Divination

20 Assault marines (465)

+ Sgt w/AA/PA/ML 1 Biomancy, 2 PS, 1 PA

6 Support marines (210)

+ 6 plasma guns, Sgt. w/Augury Scanner

Fast Attack

Anvillus dreadclaw (100)

Heavy Support

Land Raider Proteus (250)

+ Explorator Array

Sicaran Battle Tank (175)

+ sponson las cannons

Deredeo (220)

+ Anvillus autocannons, Aiolos launcher

AdMech Ally detachment:

[adjusted to new red book changes]

HQ

Archmagos Malagra (250)

+ MC chainfist, photon thruster, jet pack, rad grenades, cyber familiar

Troops

4 Thallax (220)

+ Ferrox upgrade, 4 heavy chainblades

2 Castellax (280)

+ 2 Enhanced targeting array, 2 darkfire cannons

Heavy Support

Thanatar siege automata (250)

+ Plasma Mortar

2993 points, I have 7 extra points to allocate anywhere.

The Malagra Archmagos and his 4 best buddies go on a killing spree right up the middle. Their heavy hitting capability pretty much relies on RNGesus, but that's what makes them fun :) Castellax do their own thing (now points adjusted) and still provide a nasty unit to deal with. Thanatar blasts units out of cover and has a field day with any multi wound TEQs/characters.

Regular Sicaran swapped for the Venator, it'll be more of an interceptor unit or a flanker.

The fluff behind the AdMech unit is that they are a detachment sent to assist the XVth legion in recovering data and possible STCs from upstart planets on the campaign path. The Malagra Archmagos was sent because of the high likelihood of corrupt civilizations using the STCs to create heretek machines and un-proscribed technology. The Mechanicum finds a friend in he XVth legion due to their path to seek knowledge, and will readily assist the scions of Magnus to advance humanity. As knowledge is power and must be guarded safely, it only stands to be that a force that would willingly exterminate and destroy to obtain that knowledge.

Archived