Gradarius Crusade - 4/2/18 Gravis Captain and Reivers

Kisada

Is there currently an Imperial Fists expansion event going on that allows Black Templar vows?

Yes, yes there is.

Is it true that you can only vow new things after you finish your first vow?

Yes, yes that is also true.

So then, wouldn't it make sense to finish your vow before starting on a project that could then be counted as your second vow?

Yes, that would the be smart and sensible thing to do ...

However, maybe its the Black Templar willingness to charge out of cover and get into the fight, or my true love of the Templars winning out against my desire to paint other chapters, or maybe its just my hobby ADHD has been in overdrive ... either way here is more progress on my Redemptor (while my vow for the expansion sits on my hobby table neglected lol)

3EVhNXU.jpg

pb1OAVR.jpg

The Redemptor is coming along well. Some extra "Bling!" as befits the martyred hero entombed in the sarcophagus, and he'll be ready to put the enemy to shame over how unprepared they look.

Thanks for the compliment ... Here is a current picture of where the redemptor stands ... still need to do some battle damage.  

78yjnzn.jpg

TMwfipE.jpg

wAaIASq.jpg

wArDxr2.jpg

ZdyQOUy.jpg

I'm surprised the Redemptor's slogan is "Terra Vult" instead of "Deus Vult"- God wills it (the Templars do worship the "God-Emperor", according to 6th Edition's 'Codex: Space Marines')- or "Imperator Vult"- the Emperor wills it.

Keep in mind that redemptor pattern dreadnoughts have come along with the return of Roboute Guilliman who does not revere the Emperor as God.

But more practically ... Terra Vult was a cool looking decal on the forgeworld Imperial Fist decal sheet and this redemptor is part of my primaris Indomitus Crusade.

My primaris Indomitus Crusade fluff just piggy backs on the official GW fluff regarding that crusade.  They said it was sent out by RG and the Imperial Fists were chosen to lead it.  

I have split up my primaris models to represent the sons of Dorn who were taken into the primaris program back in M31 during the second founding.  They have now been released into the galaxy and while they wear the colors of the chapters they were intended for they were trained together in the way of the Imperial Fists Legion and are comfortable fighting together for this crusade.

Here are pictures of some of the rest of my Indomitus Crusade

jkYB3tS.jpg?1

WJW7Kld.jpg

Edited by Kisada

The Crimson Fists turned out amazing, not that their yellow brothers are worse, but man - do they look amazing! How much time did you need to paint them up like this?

Thanks!  

Some explanation before I give a time frame ... I'm a slow painter ... I also have hobby ADHD ... and I hem and haw before doing something I've never done before.

TL;DR: Typically a squad like this would take me a week but some of that is due to drying times and other factors besides the actual painting.

1. assembly, plan sub-assemblies, prime, dry.  This will take a day or two depending on build ... those cables were annoying (but now that I'm on my 2nd squad of 5 it was much easier).

2. airbrush basecoat stage.  zenithal/pre-shade, base coat kantor blue, zenithal macragge blue.  This is actually pretty quick stage.  

3. block in other colors, black, metals, eyes, pouches, etc  This is usually just one sitting but I honestly hate painting weapons for some reason.  The plasma glow is not painted yet.

So that right there is about 2-3 days.

4. gloss coat.  This takes a full on day to dry ... I'll sometimes let it go longer because the microsol/set can react with the gloss coat if not completely dry.

5. decals, oil wash.  This can be done in one short session depending on whether I know which decals and where I want them (as I said I hem and haw when I'm unsure).  Also quality of decal matters here ... FW > new GW > old GW > custom home print.

6-7. matte varnish and edge highlight.  These steps I've interchanged before .... edge highlighting isn't that hard but it can be time consuming and wears me out.

8. battle damage and plasma glow.  This step can also be quick once I know what I'm going for ... but damn that plasma glow took me a long time to do ... mostly with me spending a lot of time watching videos and looking at inspiration pictures online.  The battle damage is actually very quick to do.

Now with all that being said ... the second squad of 5 has been sitting on my desk about about 75% done for over 2 weeks ... I've lost the motivation to do them and got sidetracked working on the redemptor

To be honest, to me a week doesn't seem like much for this quality of painting. Sure, in 'real life' standards it is quite an investment, but one that surely pays off. Top quality stuff, makes me want to get an airbrush, but I can't won't because it would require me to repaint all of my already done stuff.

For the second squad - they'll wait. A Redemptor, however, won't - I heard its machine spirit is somewhat restless. And the model is great too - so you're distraction is justified and, if I may say so, pardoned.

UiGreat job. I love blue that you achived. Much better then UM Paint scheme.

One question how you made decals that They don't have "shinning" effect?

Thanks.

As for the decals without the shine... first I put down a gloss coat. This helps smooth out the surface. I use Future floor polish. It takes about 24hrs or more to cure. Then I use micro set (also micro sol if I need the decal to conform to a curved shape). Then I finish it off with a matte varnish.

Is that all freehand script on the enormous dreadnought? Your painting skills are amazing!

I also thoroughly enjoyed the photos of your templars in battles from back in July among all that beautiful tabletop terrain, and that thoroughly scripted land speeder!

Thanks! My small gaming group really tries to aim to play fully painted.

As for the freehand ... the only parts I did freehand on the dread are the "black templar" on the inside carapace and the "K TE" on the banner.  The rest are decals

Are you making you own decals? If so, could you share your source for transfer paper, printer make and type, and image sources? I'm looking into starting to make my own also, but have run into some road blocks (I'd use other words, but I can't say them here!)

Are you making you own decals? If so, could you share your source for transfer paper, printer make and type, and image sources? I'm looking into starting to make my own also, but have run into some road blocks (I'd use other words, but I can't say them here!)

I have made some of my own but I did not use any of those on this redemptor.  I used some laser printer decal paper from my local hobby shop.  Had it printed at a local fedex/kinkos.

Printing your own decals is kind of a pain.  You have to seal them or they will bleed/fall apart.  I did ... and they still are very delicate.  

They also aren't very opaque so putting them over darker colors doesn't work.  I made some for my crimson fist hellblasters and the red of the custom decal was barely visible over the blue shoulder pad.  With the same paper and process I also made some for my Imperial Fists and those work better.

• 2 months later...