My Cadian WIP

Brother Talarian

Hello comrades! 

I will be adding to my forces very shortly. There's a sale going on at my LGS and I figured now is as good a time as any to spoil myself.

So far I ordered a box of the Start Collecting MT.

My army consists of:

x40 (roughly) Guardsmen - they have several flamers, vox, and grenade launchers.

x1 Demolisher Tank

x1 Chimera

x1 Basilisk

x1 CCS

I often proxy my old SM rhinos/predators for more chimeras and Tanks, though I would like to not proxy and use the actual models.

That said, I was considering purchasing 1-3 more Tanks (maybe 2 tanks and a Chimera), x1 Weapon Teams, and maybe another PCS

What are your thoughts? What would be a "must include" addition to the army?

I'll have a lot of painting to do... but ma definitely up for the challenge. 

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if it's the same on the new kits as all my Leman Russ' I've just started painting are very old kits but as I remember it there is some sort of difference in the turret barrel fitting to make it so you had to buy 2 demolishers and not a cheaper Leman Russ kit.

Someone more up to date may no better!

Will follow this as I'm looking for ideas for my new army, I think I'm going to get a Knight to use as a Warlord

The two Leman Russ kits assemble different variants: the Demolisher kit also does the Punisher and Executioner. The Battle Tank kit handles the rest :) Otherwise the two kits are virtually identical, our magnetisation tutorial will show you all you need to know :tu:

For your collection some more special weapon types would be an idea, as would more Chimeras as you say. More Russ hulls would go a long way too as one won't do much, but then as a Guard army can you ever have enough tanks? ;)

Yes the variants are different as WF mentioned. So it depends which ones you want. You can magnetise though for extra versatility.

If youre thinking about more chimeras and guard then get the genestealer neophyte box. Good discount on the chimera. There is an IG/AM one coming in the new year but its the same price minus the GS upgrade sprues. So might as well have it for bits.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Genestealer-Cults-Armoured-Claw

Another CCS is always good for special weapons. Unless you have some Space marine sprues you can raid.

Hmm, so if I understand correctly there is no difference between the two LR kits besides weapons variants. I was worried about what Jam Master Flex is talking about, that the fittings are different - that I wouldn't be able to build an executioner and punisher simultaneously with two different kits let's say. If that's not the case it's settled then! I'll just need to take a close look at those tutorials so I don't muck anything up.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I found three CSM with plasma weapons that might be sacrificed to their God to aid mankind. Otherwise I already have x2 melta and X1 plasma, I don't often have more than 2 melta on regular guardsmen, so we'll see.

Plasma and melta you want to reserve for vets with the BS4.

The turret mounts Im pretty sure are inter changeable. I'd double check but my carry cases are in the car and I have a cat on my lap.

The only other subtle difference is the extra "reinforcing" on the back of the hulls and the vent hatch. But only a guard player would notice that. ;)

Having said that I am not sure if the weapon mount on the turrets would be interchangable.

Ie I don't know if you can fit the demolisher variant weapon barrels in the stock LBRT turret and vice versa.

The turret rings are identical yes, so you can swap the turret variants across the hulls without issue. As duz says the only hull difference is the hatch at the back ;) The turrets are quite different between the two kits though so you can't swap those bits. The Demolisher kit has a wider front for the barrels for example (and is a lot easier to magnetise too). The tutorials are quite straight forward so once you go through the appropriate post with the kit in front of you it'll be easily understood :tu:

That's a damn shame.... I'll see what I can do...
So I just bought myself:

MT Start Collecting box.

x1 LR Demo kit

x1 LR BT kit

x1 Weapons Team box

So I have several models to build and paint up. Expect this thread to be busy shortly msn-wink.gif.

However, I forgot to buy magnets and some damn superglue...

Also, are there any HWT magnetization tutorials? I haven't opened the box yet but I assume it's easily done... small magnet on the bottom of gun and on the top of the tripod?

There aren't any HWT tutorials, as it's not really feasible. You can squeeze out extra teams as some of the weapons don't share bits - you can assembly mortars and missile launchers separately. The other three share the tripod, the issue is that the guns are different lengths so won't match up to the gunner's hands. So you'd need to either have the gunner move, or assemble them without the gunner holding the gun. I've done this on a Vet HWT, but space is limited and you'd fast run out of decent poses.

Yeah... pretty mucheap just build 3 teams per "team" missile launchers, mortars and then 1 of the other 3... after that you would have to get really creative.

I plan to tear my teams apart and build the 3 per 1 when I get time...

I ended up just building 3 Autocannon teams, I might build in the mortar and ML teams at a later time.

So progress has been real slow on my part. The weather here has been awful so I haven't primed my miniatures yet. Does anyone have experience priming in -15ish weather? 

That said, I have built the Start Collecting MT box set - bar the taurox which isn't finished (waiting for the store to re-stock on magnets)

10 Cadians, 20 more on the way.

I also have the Chimera and 2 LR waiting in the assembly line - again, waiting for those magnets. 

So my regiment hasn't deserted, they are simply waiting for the proper equipment and provision to arrive, they are eagerly waiting to be deployed (foolish).

Not in -15 no, but that is far too cold - I know you should always shake well (2 minutes - don't be lazy!), but no amount of shaking will help in that sort of temperature :lol: Find somewhere warmer to prime, or you risk it going tits up on your nicely assembled new models.

Brother Talarian,

Most paint lines (Citadel, Privateer Press, etc.) make brush-on primer in white and black.  My preference is for Vallejo's white acrylic brush-on primer.  I get it for about $8 a bottle at my local Hobbytown store.  It's what I use from late fall to early spring here in the Pacific Northwest, since it's too cold to prime with spray propellant. The primer is thinner than typical paint so your details are not obscured. It probably takes me 2-3 minutes to prime a batch of 10 troopers with a brush.

The bottle is pretty big at 60 ml/2 ounces (enough for hundreds of troopers).  Here's a link to a black Vallejo brush-on primer product:  https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Black-Primer-Acrylic-Polyurethane/dp/B004BN5RUU

Archived