Starting HH

BloodFox

This is probably a stupid question to ask, but I'm starting Horus Heresy after a long hiatus from 40k. Do I need to get the newest rule book for 40k or the Space Marine Codex to play or is it included in the HH books? I'll probably buy the latest rule book anyway but I'd like to know how urgent it is to do so.

Thanks, thats good to know. I've already ordered the red books, now I just need a rule book.

Just thought of this, what edition are we on? I last played sixth edition but they never tell you what it is in the books themselves.

7th in 40k, but red book is based off of 6th ed, so points are a little bit outdated, but I fully expect the red book to get updated soon(ish).

Heres my recommendation: Go look up some army lists here under the HH forums, see whats viable and what you want to play. Make a list, and start building it.

Also be aware that HH plastics are coming out soon (pics have been leaked already), so Id wait a month or two before you start breaking the bank buying all that resin.

Finally, judging by your avatar, im guessing your going with IF. They arguably have the best legion special rules, so your good in that regard.

Welcome to HH :)

Aha, I was wrong. I did not play sixth edition. I last played 5th and then stopped when 6th came out since I didn't feel like shelling out $60+ to get a new rule book. In that case would it be worth it to buy an old 6th edition rule book, or should I get a 7th?

The rules in the red book are fully comparable with 7th, the only issue are points values for some models. For example, except for die hards, almost nobody uses assault squads in HH. Reason being they are over costed as per older editions. On the other hand the points can be beneficial for other units, eg a contemptor mortis is still only 155 points in HH armies vs 175 for the 40k variant.

The rules in the red book are fully comparable with 7th, the only issue are points values for some models. For example, except for die hards, almost nobody uses assault squads in HH. Reason being they are over costed as per older editions. On the other hand the points can be beneficial for other units, eg a contemptor mortis is still only 155 points in HH armies vs 175 for the 40k variant.

7th Edition has no real bearing on the points cost of units in 30k.

Its a 30k only thing. Beyond the use of the same base rules system, nothing else has influence on why things cost what they do in 30k. If they'll change (they probably will) it will be because the Designers agree that they're out of whack with the rest of the system, not because a new edition rolled out.

Also, the Contemptor Comparison is moot due to them being Widespread in 30k (Thus cheaper) and Chapter Relics in 40k (You cant spam them).

7th Edition has no real bearing on the points cost of units in 30k.

Its a 30k only thing. Beyond the use of the same base rules system, nothing else has influence on why things cost what they do in 30k. If they'll change (they probably will) it will be because the Designers agree that they're out of whack with the rest of the system, not because a new edition rolled out.

Also, the Contemptor Comparison is moot due to them being Widespread in 30k (Thus cheaper) and Chapter Relics in 40k (You cant spam them).

I never said that 7th has a bearing on the point cost of units in 30k, im using them as a comparison because the points for units there originally were created with a 40k 6th ed blueprint and modified from there.

Oh, and Contemptors arent actually Relics of the Armoury.

Archived