XIV Kataris : WIP, fluff and stuff

Guilloom

Greetings !

Here is the Vet Squad 304, still a WiP. These little fellas need some green stuffing (the sarj' deserves some long white hair!), a bit more painting and a lot of features (grenades, backpacks, knives, etc.). I first thought the red was a mistake (especially for weapons) but finally it doesn't look bad. For what is wrong : the highlight on the clothes is too bright and I can't figure why as I used the same paint as the 2 first guys ; Sarj's skin is probably too "white"; Sarj's beret skull sigil is screwed, especially the "burning eyes" effect...

med_gallery_87558_11313_493467.jpg

med_gallery_87558_11313_477306.jpg

med_gallery_87558_11313_368605.jpg

med_gallery_87558_11313_151813.jpg

Sarj' : I myself will carry you to the gates of Valhalla !

A rookie : Am I awaited ?

Sarj' : You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

med_gallery_87558_11313_733310.jpg

med_gallery_87558_11313_196895.jpg

med_gallery_87558_11313_71935.jpg

Now, a question before I start the next Vet Squad... Is it logical to have 3 Grenade Launchers in a squad ? Is it efficient in game, or totally

useless (sth like "use meltas !") ?

And here is Squeak the Lurker, first abomination of a future penal squad. That leads me to another question : considering a squad of 15 or 20 Guards, or Conscripts (don't know what is the most game-wise), what is the best choice for command, a Priest or a Commissar?

med_gallery_87558_11313_249496.jpg

You have a very clean painting style there and your guys look great. I'm not totally sold on the red though, my first impression was I like it then on second and third passes not so sure. You deffo need a spot colour though to help those guys pop. Green is jumping to mind or orange. Have you decided what you are going to do with your bases?

I believe priests work wonders in large blob squads, war hymns can give re-rolls to either wound, or save.

You have a very clean painting style there and your guys look great. I'm not totally sold on the red though, my first impression was I like it then on second and third passes not so sure. You deffo need a spot colour though to help those guys pop. Green is jumping to mind or orange. Have you decided what you are going to do with your bases?

I believe priests work wonders in large blob squads, war hymns can give re-rolls to either wound, or save.

But... but... I like this red ! Remind me the good auld minis from the earliest stages of the Imperial Guard msn-wink.gif But I will give a try to green : one has already a green lasrifle, but wrapped in brown. I'll avoid orange or blue : I don't like to paint those colours (worse than gold).

The bases are going to be a mixture of ruins (need to figure out if sandstone or antracite), wreckage and... MUD ! I've found a wonderful tutor about how to make it on Youtube.

our_baz, sir, you convinced me : Priest it will be. It does mean that I have to buy some Empire Flagellants. One priest, and more Penal Guards, and probably a few Psykers... laugh.png but this unit will take a while. I only paint it when I'm tired of guardsmen. And I expect some tanks to join soon.

• 1 month later...

Nearly complete ! It only need a bit of Bitz (bedroll, pouches...), an autocannon and more rust. Maybe I will also use some decals... but the GW ones do not really appeal to me.

The base will be made of MUD (of course), ruins from the Basilica Administratum and other pieces from different kits. I wonder if I shall use other armies/races parts. C&C are welcomed.

med_gallery_87558_11313_23480.jpegmed_gallery_87558_11313_24211.jpeg

The fitout is fine (assuming by camo gear you mean forward sentries doctrine)

But you're 4 lasgun guardsmen short of a squad?

Yes, that's it : "forward sentries doctrine" ! So I may pledge for Assault on Lutum happy.png

Is a 6 men squad impossible ? I do prefer many small squad more than a single blob. That's fluff-wise for the XIVth and, if I shall play once, that kind of configuration offers more flexibility. Having 2x5 Guards firing at 2 enemy squads suits me better than 10 Guards firing at only one enemy. But I may be mistaken... Do not hesitate to correct if I'm wrong : my knowledge in 40k rules is really weak.

So... my plans are screwed. First, 3 more men for my 2 Vets Squads and then I will figure out sth for the Platoon CS and the third squad. Maybe SWS, maybe one more Vets, no idea yet. Plus two Chimeras, and one Taurox as dedicated Transports and this fine Sentinel. Would it be legal ?

Platoon Command Squad (officer with boltpistol, vox, platoon standart, plasma, guard with lasrifle, Taurox)

Vets squad 1 (sergeant, 3 meltas, 5 lasrifles, vox, Chimera)

Vets squad 2 (sergeant, 3 flamers, 5 lasrifles or shotguns, vox, Chimera)

Squad 3 (?)

Sentinel (Autocannon)

A Platoon Command Squad is part of a Platoon so for a legal Platoon you'd need two infantry squads - the two Vet squads are fine though (they are their own unit selection, nothing to do with Platoons save for both being Troop choices). If you're just concerned with Assault on Lutum at the moment then any of these units would be fine as your vows aren't restricted by the FOC :)

A Platoon Command Squad is part of a Platoon so for a legal Platoon you'd need two infantry squads - the two Vet squads are fine though (they are their own unit selection, nothing to do with Platoons save for both being Troop choices). If you're just concerned with Assault on Lutum at the moment then any of these units would be fine as your vows aren't restricted by the FOC smile.png

That means that I can't get a platoon with Vets only ? I thought platoons were kinda compulsory in a wider company. If not, I can at least use the models from the PCS in order to complete the Vets Squad. Thus it's not a problem, it's even a perfect solution.

And, about Assault on Lutum, I don't know yet what I am going to pledge smile.png

No, Vets aren't part of a Platoon and Platoons aren't compulsory. For reference the Guard codex has two Troop choices:

1) a Veteran Squad of 10 soldiers

2) an Infantry Platoon of minimum 25 soldiers (5 in the PCS and 10 in two Infantry Squads)

For Assault on Lutum you can vow whatever you want as long as it is a whole unit from a Guard codex (e.g. Vet Squad, PCS, Chimera etc) in any of the three phases so don't feel like you have to choose too hard :P I'm only doing a priest for my first vow for example :)

Vet Squad is progressing. Five of them now wear GS greatcoats, all poses have been set... Big painting weekend incoming.

Sorry our_baz, I think I will stick with the red details (mainly rifles) : orange, blue and grey had been tested with little success, while green could be an alternative, but I'm not satisfied with this color scheme, except for grenades (there'll be plenty of them though, with a tow, row, row, row, row, row, for the Emperor's Grenadiers msn-wink.gif ).

Pictures will be posted as soon as I get home

• 2 weeks later...

Good progress, still on schedule for the end of the month I assume? msn-wink.gif

Yes sir msn-wink.gif but i'm afraid I won't be able to make it onto the next stage... Too bad, I really want to have an excuse to paint Ogryns and maybe their dedicated Chimera (if it's a legal choice... I believe it was).

Archived