Age question

Daemon2027

I'm starting to write some background for my inquisitor, but I'm struggling to age him. I know that those in certain positions would get access to certain treatments that could extend their lives but I'd imagine even these treatments would only go so far. So roughly how old would a veteran inquisitor be?

I'm starting to write some background for my inquisitor, but I'm struggling to age him. I know that those in certain positions would get access to certain treatments that could extend their lives but I'd imagine even these treatments would only go so far. So roughly how old would a veteran inquisitor be?

Eisenhorn himself is a good couple of hundred years old himself, iirc, and there has been instances of Mechanicus priests being older still, and in one specific case the individual I remember (quite a high ranking Magos iirc) was much, much older but there was very little of him left (pretty much just his brain, I think). 

Using this as a guideline, I'd say, under 'normal' circumstances (excluding any time dilation via warp travel) an old Inquisitor should be 150+ if you wish to make them sound particularly veteran. Outside of normal circumstances though? I would depend on the story involved. 

Think it depends on the character and the experiences he/she has. Some will have been recruited later in life after catching the eye of an Inquisitor and others will have been raise in the same way storm troopers, commissars and sisters of battle are.

It also depends on who's training them and how deep they get thrown in to either sink or swim. If they last 50+ years as an Inquisitor then they're going to be experienced. 100+ and they're going to be holding a lot of sway within the ranks of the Inquisition. 150+ and they're going to be a big player.

Remember they do a dangerous job and being an Inquisitor throws you into a lot of danger. So surviving any real amount of time while actively working takes a fair amount of skill.

I as thinking that would be enough time for an Inquisiotr to rise and fall somewhat. The Inquisitor in question is Ordo Hereticus, an I imagine he was taking straight from the place where Commisars and the like are trained. I liked the idea he once led armies, has fought alongside Astartes, but over the years the defeats have become more common, and, while zeal remains, he has become more interested in the way the Emperor manifests in the universe, and he has started to work on a smaller scale, believing he is close to finding a way to create a new body for the Emperor.

Having just finished a re-read of Abnett's Xenos book a few days ago, we were told that hard line puritan Inquisitor Commodus Voke, already of an advanced age during the events of the book, went on to live for 103 more years.

What I've always wondered about is if these advanced lifetimes are truly representative of how much time they have lived or if the time from their birth has been exaggerated by the time dilation of interstellar travel through the warp. When traveling to the planet of the saruthi, the battle group with Eisenhorn was in the warp for nine weeks, but who knows how much time actually passed outside the warp while they were traveling?

I'm willing to bet it's a meeting somewhere in the middle of age extension treatments and time dilation via warp travel.

• 3 weeks later...

What I've always wondered about is if these advanced lifetimes are truly representative of how much time they have lived or if the time from their birth has been exaggerated by the time dilation of interstellar travel through the warp. When traveling to the planet of the saruthi, the battle group with Eisenhorn was in the warp for nine weeks, but who knows how much time actually passed outside the warp while they were traveling?

I'm willing to bet it's a meeting somewhere in the middle of age extension treatments and time dilation via warp travel.

That makes me wonder about the Inquisitors who tend to stay in the same star system and rarely (if ever) travel through the Warp, for reason x, y or z. Would they by extension not live such long lives?

Archived