Completely Absurd AM Deathstar?

jgfield79

So, I decided I need a superheavy tank... looking through the options, there are plenty of awesome main weapons, etc.  Then I see the Stormlord... 40 model transport capacity?  Okay.  So, the most realistic thing to do would be put in a metric ton of conscripts with a priest and my Ordo Xenos Inquisitor... and then it got me thinking "what else could you fit in there?" (from AM Codex anyway).  So.. mild deathstar option.. bring the "Rampart Detachment" formation from Sanctus Reach -- two 5-man Bullgryn squads, kitted out for CC (30 transport spaces), plus the obligatory CCS.. 4 flamers i guess?  That's another 5 spaces... give the Bullgryn's each a Priest and a OX Inquisitor with Rad Grenades to fill it up.  (yes, multiple units can board a super-heavy transport).  So, they can assault out of the expensive super-tank and have pretty much every special rule ever (off the top of my head that's zealot (hatred), fear, fearless, stubborn, counter-attack, -1 T to enemy, war hymns... probably some more I'm missing).  That's two separate devastating charges of 5T/3W models with support... albiet for like 1000 pts.  Okay... so yeah.. that's expensive and pretty crazy... which leads me to:

Cyclops Demolition Vehicle -- so, you can take 3 per "squad"... they are technically "infantry," so they can ride in the Stormlord... they are "extremely bulky".. so that takes up 5 transpo spots per model, plus you have to have their "controller guy" within 48".. so probably throw him in the ride also.  Or, maybe you put them in a "stolen" chimera and have them follow the giant tank?  That would give you room for 8(!) of these suicidal suckers inside the Stormlord!  They detonate themselves during the assault phase... the Stormlord is an assault vehicle... they can disembark and charge into nearby infantry and blow themselves up, doing the equivalent of a battlecannon shot each (large blast)!  So... just drive big ass Stormlord towards enemy lines, shooting mega bolter cannon... disembarking one of your 8 suicide demolition charges as you see fit.

Stormlords say they are open topped for the purposes of embarking and disembarking.

the BRB says that a unit disembarking from an open topped vehicle can assault the turn is disembarks.... and from any point in the hull?  I think the qualifying factor is that it DOESN'T count as open topped when getting shot at (damage tables)

Battle Brothers
Units from the same army that are Battle Brothers treat each other as ‘friendly units’ for
all rules purposes. This means, for example, that units:
• Can benefit from the Warlord Trait of a Warlord that is a Battle Brother.
• Can be joined by an Independent Character that is a Battle Brother.
• Are counted as being friendly units for the targeting of Battle Brothers’ psychic
powers, abilities and so on.
• Can use special abilities to repair Hull Points, Immobilised or Weapon Destroyed
results on Battle Brothers’ vehicles.
• Can use modifiers and re-rolls that apply to Reserve Rolls that are granted by a Battle
Brother’s model.
• Can embark on each other’s Transport vehicles.

Stormlords are alright. If you're moving them up you're not using the gun to its full potential as you're only getting half the shots. Its real strength is in transporting HWTs for massed fire from inside, (as the number of fire points is less than the transport capacity, it's well-suited to Bulky models.)

Alternatively, a counter-charge unit for engaging CC units threatening to close on it could be an expedient way to protect it. Guard don't tend to do CC incredibly effectively, but you could have a Guardsman blob with Priest and Primaris Psykers to wear stuff down. Maybe two Priests to really hammer those War Hymns out.

I guess it depends on what you deem to be "incredibly effective" -- do they wipe terminators off the table in one round? probably not.. but 40 conscripts with a priest, and a stubborn inquisitor will tarpit the hell out of some stuff (while doing quite a few wounds in the process)... effectively taking your cheap unit and taking their mega-deathstar out of the game

I regularly use 50 Conscripts with a Priest, so I'm well aware. However, the purpose of this thread is Deathstars, which a load of WS2 S3 models with no AP value and a 5+ Save definitely are not. Not sure why you want the Inquisitor in there, though, unless he's got cool wargear on him.

stubborn & rad grenades (-1T to enemy 1st round of assault -- attacking or defending)... can bring psychotroke grenades as well.. has a list of random effects (D6), including unit auto-hits, enemy hits at I1, etc.  I guess that was the main point... big knock against Bullgryn (if we're talking CC) is their low leadership and exorbitant cost.. i think they probably perform pretty well in combat (with a priest)... its just that they cost too damn much.  Now, my Cyclops idea.. that was just for fun... 8-ish suicide bombers driving out of a bigger tank would be hilarious i think

You could be really saucy and allied attachment some D-99 Elysians to your main AM force and then fill the Stormlord with Executioner squads.  (9 Elysian Drop Troops - Can replace lasguns with plasma or meltas) It would be more reliable than deep striking them in and if your enemy was bunched up you could drive that monstrosity in and watch their jaw drop as a wall of melta/plasma equipped veterans rushed in with the kill power to bring down whatever was needed. 

Throw in some drop sentinels deep striking in on the same turn with meltas attached and you could clean up the entire enemy force, assuming they were even mildly close together.

Wow, wow, wow, you guys don't consider conscripts a death star because they don't, for you, trample over terminators?!? Are your soldiers anemic? Do you not feed them? I've regularly had a mere 30 guys plus priest shock the hell out of the enemy by slaughtering a mere five terminators in a two or three rounds of close combat (i.e. soon enough to make the next charge.)

Wow, wow, wow, you guys don't consider conscripts a death star because they don't, for you, trample over terminators?!? Are your soldiers anemic? Do you not feed them? I've regularly had a mere 30 guys plus priest shock the hell out of the enemy by slaughtering a mere five terminators in a two or three rounds of close combat (i.e. soon enough to make the next charge.)

See??  This is what i was looking for  -- that get's my hopes up!  So.. a "reasonable" list i came up with for my local area "competitive-yet-fun" meta (1850pts)

HQ

CCS - (pretty bare-bones... to give orders to blob)

Priest

Primaris Psyker (Prescience blob)

Troop

Infantry Platoon

PCS  w/ flamers (charge deterrent)

37x Conscripts (these go in Stormlord w/ Priest and Inq)

4x Squads (Autocannon, Flamer) [These guys bubble wrap my Wyverns]

Melta Vets, Chimera

Melta Vets, Chimera

Heavy Supp

Wyvern x2

Wyvern x2

LoW

Stormlord

Inquisitorial Detachment

Ordo Xenos Inq (rad grenades, 3x servo skulls)

Fortifications

Aegis Defense Line (Icarus)

Does this look feasible?  I think it seems fun... drive the stormlord up... vomit out conscripts.  Vets drive around and grab objs, nuke stuff.... wyverns do what wyverns do... blob shoots anything that gets close. What do you think??

Archived