White Sanguinary Guard...HELP

Reaver Lord Soul

Hello there brothers and sisters of Blood :D

I have need of any advice regarding the painting of my Angels Encarmine Sanguinary Guard. I bought myself a spray-can of white paint a while ago during the ETL and before everything got ahead of me I started to basecoat my models.

However, when I did this, after the paint had dried it had become very chalky and not smooth at all which is probably due to the cheapness of the can that I had bought.

If anyone can advise me what the best white paints are that I could use then it would be very much appreciated :)

Many Thanks.

Soul XD

Humidity and temperature really effect how well spray cans work. What's happened (most likely) is that it was really warm/ or sprayed in direct sunlight and the paint has partially dried in the air on the way to the model. GW's old Skull White was particularly prone to this (apparently Corax White is much better). To fix already sprayed models, unfortunately stripping is your best bet. In the future, spray in the shade in early morning or late afternoon.

Cheers,

Jono 

I'd go for either a grey or the new corax white from GW.

Halfords matt black primer is what I use and it's quality. Usually meant for cars :P really even smooth finish. The grey primer I'm sure would be just as good.

From these you could apply an appropriate wash to the recesses then build up to white on the armour plates.

Humidity and temperature really effect how well spray cans work. What's happened (most likely) is that it was really warm/ or sprayed in direct sunlight and the paint has partially dried in the air on the way to the model. GW's old Skull White was particularly prone to this (apparently Corax White is much better). To fix already sprayed models, unfortunately stripping is your best bet. In the future, spray in the shade in early morning or late afternoon.

Cheers,

Jono 

Yeah in my experience, environment is the leading cause of crappy priming jobs, even before the quality of the primer. The Mephiston Red primer GW sells is SUPER MEGA ULTRA prone to this if you are priming outside at all I've noticed.

In the future I'd recommend going to a semi enclosed space with ventilation so you don't fumigate yourself (for instance, I open my garage door a bit and prime in there). That should improve your priming significantly

Archived