Foot Vets

exsanguis

Hey guys,

I've been browsing through the Victoria Minis website and I love the idea of using the Tannenburg Fusiliers!

I used to run a mech IG force (4th and 5th ed) but I am curious about whether foot Veterans can work. I was thinking of taking them with multiple Plasma Guns and Carapace Armour. 50 or 60 Vets on foot should be survivable enough, with the right back up!

Either that or running them using her Border World Rangers as Vets with Camo and keeping them in cover. Obviously this is more terrain/board setup reliant, but plonking some 4+ cover Vets with a las or autocannon into ruins sounds like fun.

So has anyone been running foot Vets and had success?

It depends on the points value somewhat, as you'd need to fill almost every Troop choice and ideally all of them. There are many weapons that can take them out and they won't have the advantage of additional squads that Platoons have to weather that. So that means making sure your Vets have good support from other FOCs. Not sure what may be best here but we have plenty of good options to choose from :)

Maybe lots of additional armour in Sentinels and Hellhound variants? Russes would be good, but you'd lack the numbers to help protect them properly. Or if you want a true infantry force Scions from the Elite FOC. Maybe even some Ratlings? :P

Most mechanise vet forces, but I don't see why this couldn't work at normal point values with the right support as you say. If you're looking at higher ones such as 2000pts or more then another FOC to get extra squads in would be worth considering. That or unbound if you don't mind it.

How about having 5 squads of veterans and allowing yourself the option of a standard infantry platoon? That way you can have 5 Infantry, 5 heavy weapon and 3 Special weapon squads for support if you need them :)

Well...they are pretty good buried in ruins with forward sentries and an autocannon...but that's assuming they have an empty chimera rolling around grabbing objectives for them...If I were going pure vets, I'd probably go with 3-4 squads with carapace and plasma, and 2-3 squads with forward sentries and autocannons.

Techmarine ally, lone squad of marines as tax. Commence awesome moves like boosting 4+ cover to 3+ with the marine and then 2+ with forward sentries. Jack an inquisition Chimera. You lose the command vehicle special rule,and the lasgun arrays, but get 5 fire points instead of 2. Cue trolling vets moving around at top speed and hitting hard as a ton of bricks. Throw in the aforementioned techmarine to repair the thing on the move, as well give you extra plasma shots if your vehicle is stable.

It's not pure vet, I grant you, but it's a viable way to be pretty darn close. 

Actually, you could take 5 scouts as the tax for the techmarine...I like the idea...but it only works on one piece of terrain.  If it's a large ruin, I'm good with that, I'll park 2-3 forward sentries autocannon squads in there while the techie turns wrenches to keep Pasquisher and his wingman up and running...the scouts can get infiltrated somewhere, I guess...maybe give them a heavy bolter and camo cloaks so they can make a proper nuisance of themselves...hmmm...great idea, Henry!

Techmarine ally, lone squad of marines as tax. Commence awesome moves like boosting 4+ cover to 3+ with the marine and then 2+ with forward sentries. Jack an inquisition Chimera. You lose the command vehicle special rule,and the lasgun arrays, but get 5 fire points instead of 2. Cue trolling vets moving around at top speed and hitting hard as a ton of bricks. Throw in the aforementioned techmarine to repair the thing on the move, as well give you extra plasma shots if your vehicle is stable.

Does the Inq Chimera work that way?  I was reading that entry in the codex and wasn't sure if I could use the old 5 firepoints rule.

Does the Inq Chimera work that way?  I was reading that entry in the codex and wasn't sure if I could use the old 5 firepoints rule.

The Inquisition codex I have seen, but don't own, says that they have 5 firepoints without lasgun arrays, as does 1d4chan tactics. So I believe it does.

Actually, you could take 5 scouts as the tax for the techmarine...I like the idea...but it only works on one piece of terrain.  If it's a large ruin, I'm good with that, I'll park 2-3 forward sentries autocannon squads in there while the techie turns wrenches to keep Pasquisher and his wingman up and running...the scouts can get infiltrated somewhere, I guess...maybe give them a heavy bolter and camo cloaks so they can make a proper nuisance of themselves...hmmm...great idea, Henry!

You could also add a Thunderfire Cannon to the mix for another Techmarine and another piece of Reinforced terrain

Foot Vets are your cover campers. Give 'em Forward Sentires and a Heavy Weapon. They are cheap as chicks and will sit in cover all day. A bit problematic against armies with Ignore Cover, but that is a risk you must take.

However, even foot Vets need Mech support. Never forget that ;)

Archived