How do you imagine the battle for Luna will go?

HeritorA

It's a long way to the Siege of Terra - bit i'm truly interested how the battle for Luna will go. I can't imagine how Horus fleets will destroy the Solar fleets with bases, minefields, forts etc.

The trick with the Octed virus from Calth will not succeed here. After all - Dorn and fleetmasters are ready for this eventuality.

Plain strength will avail Horus nothing - cause Solar and Lunar fleets are the biggest conglomerate of capital ships in galaxy history.

How the heck did Horus even get to Terra?

Any lore data or direct quotes from the Visions of Heresy on that subject would be much appreciated msn-wink.gif

Mars, which at this point would be 100% traitor, busts out some crazy megaweapon from vaults. That'd be my preference, since chaos trickery and magic is a bit of a crutch.

To be frank, I'd put that Martian megaweapon idea in the same category.

Simplest is often bestest. The Sol System will be the most heavily fortified location in the galaxy, and perhaps even in its history.

And Horus is going to hit it with half the military might that had conquered that galaxy, and alongside allies from beyond it, not to mention his Legion numbers severely outnumbering those of the Loyalists.

Horus will reach Terra because this is the battle to end the biggest war in Imperial history. It will never be as basic as comparing numbers in Risk.

It will be bloody, it will be direct, it will be horrific. And Horus will be winning.

To be frank, I'd put that Martian megaweapon idea in the same category.

Simplest is often bestest. The Sol System will be the most heavily fortified location in the galaxy, and perhaps even in its history.

And Horus is going to hit it with half the military might that had conquered that galaxy, and alongside allies from beyond it, not to mention his Legion numbers severely outnumbering those of the Loyalists.

Horus will reach Terra because this is the battle to end the biggest war in Imperial history. It will never be as basic as comparing numbers in Risk.

It will be bloody, it will be direct, it will be horrific. And Horus will be winning.

Not all of the Legions will be with Horus though, maybe not even most of the Legions, only parts of them. The Night Lords won't be there at all and the Emperors Children probably won't be responsive.

It'll be a big fight, but I don't imagine it'll match the size of, say, the Drop Site Massacres.

Probably not match Isstvan V, no, not in sheer number of Marines. Course, that may not be true, as the Traitors may be taking in huge amount of recruits.

As for who will or will not be there, remember that Sevatar dies at Terra. It's not clear-cut. Either way, Horus's Legion numbers will outnumber Dorn's.

Probably not match Isstvan V, no, not in sheer number of Marines. Course, that may not be true, as the Traitors may be taking in huge amount of recruits.

As for who will or will not be there, remember that Sevatar dies at Terra. It's not clear-cut. Either way, Horus's Legion numbers will outnumber Dorn's.

Right, just felt like pointing out the Siege of Terra is a big fight, it's not the end all be all of Warhammer conflicts though.

Isn't it said in the Night Lords trilogy? If you mean, confirmed as in he's actually dead, then no, but until confirmation comes in I will operate on the assumption that it is, and will be severely disappointed if they make a Loken out of him.

And Loesh, you're not wrong, but I wouldn't say you're right either. There have been many, many battles in 40k's extreme scope, from Abaddon's explosive 13th Black Crusade all the way back to the war between the Necrontyr and the Old Ones. Some will have been greater in scope. But I don't think any have been greater in impact to the setting as a story, insofar as what we have been allowed to see or know. The Isstvanian battles, as an example, probably exceeded the Siege in scope if you put them together, but the Siege was an attack on the human birthworld and Imperial capital, was the culmination of a galactic war that the Isstvanian battles started, a war that was greater even than later galactic civil wars when compared to it, and more than the previous events of the Heresy, or other events that we are made aware of, most shaped the character and future of the human race, Imperial or Chaos, from that point on.

So it kind of depends on the definition of the end all, be all, and whether not 'bigger' is a prerequisite for something to be 'greater.' But from where I sit, while one can argue that the Isstvanian battles were greater than the Siege to the war, the Siege was greatest of all to the setting.

The means of measurement for me being that if you remove or modify any one battle or event in the setting, it'd be the Siege that I would anticipate having the most widespread impact.

This doesn't detract from any other event, though. I'm not accusing you of this, but a lot of times I see the Siege getting misrepresented as a means of promoting other events over the siege, most often the Isstvanian battles. They all have their place and their impact, and you can't change any one without affecting the overall setting in some way. For me, one of the reasons why I would say the Siege is of greater import than the Isstvanian battles is because a large part of their impact was as a setup to the Siege. They determined the actors and the conditions that would affect the Siege, which makes the Siege's impact partly theirs too.

Loesh - you are incorrect  'It'll be a big fight, but I don't imagine it'll match the size of, say, the Drop Site Massacres.' - You are kidding me right? You know that the Solar fleet are 10 times bigger then all the legion fleets that were fighting at Istvaan 3-5? All fleets combined at Istvaan 3-5 had 900 hundred capital ships. Solar fleet alone have 5000 capital ships of the first line. See the difference? 

Lunar bases are the most heavily defended structure in the Galaxy? 

That's why daveNYC are probably correct the most.  Mars will definitely out some crazy megaweapon from vaults to depower the Solar fleet and make it a shooting gallery for the Traitors. But that begs the question - Dorn knows that Mars is a big trouble. And then Horus would be getting nearer he will still not expunge the Mars cancer? Unbelivable 

Archived