About to start a Guard Army - a few questions...

Guardsman

Hi All, 

First post, hopefully in the right place.

I was recently given a model of Yarrick for my birthday as I always thought he was awesome.

This got me started on my path to building an army. I've read the book and tried to look online for some answers to this question but honestly the options are mind boggling. So here goes.

1. Can Yarrick and Command Squads be fielded together? It would appear they can't, some places online seemed to think this would change but the FAQ still seems to say they can't.

2. If I have Yarrick, a cadian defence force, a command squad and a wyvern as my models to start, can I field them all together? I would like to use lots of tanks and very few troops (I'm a rubbish painter). Should I build the 20 cadians as veterans and 2 command squads as they are or would there be a better way to do it?

Any help appreciated,

Cheers

Hi All, 

First post, hopefully in the right place.

I was recently given a model of Yarrick for my birthday as I always thought he was awesome.

This got me started on my path to building an army. I've read the book and tried to look online for some answers to this question but honestly the options are mind boggling. So here goes.

1. Can Yarrick and Command Squads be fielded together? It would appear they can't, some places online seemed to think this would change but the FAQ still seems to say they can't.

2. If I have Yarrick, a cadian defence force, a command squad and a wyvern as my models to start, can I field them all together? I would like to use lots of tanks and very few troops (I'm a rubbish painter). Should I build the 20 cadians as veterans and 2 command squads as they are or would there be a better way to do it?

Any help appreciated,

Cheers

Congrats! Welcome to the barracks. 

1. They can definitely be fielded together. The problem is whether you can technically have Yarrick as warlord when they are fielded together. Yarrick has "Chain of Command" but also has "Senior officer". Some think that this combo means he can be warlord, some don't. Ask your opponents. However, if you want to field the command squad as Warlord and Yarrick as  just an HQ, that is definitely fine.

2. You can only run a max of 2 HQs in 1 Combined arms detachment. For now, a CAD is pretty much the only guard option, so running Yarrick and 2 command squads is about impossible. That aside, you might make it work. 

Thanks HenricusTyranicus

I think asking my opponents won't really work unfortunately, my group consists of 2 other players and if its not in the rule book, codex or FAQ it tends to just cause an argument! 

I'd find it hard to believe that Yarrick could be on the tabletop and not be the warlord!

It sounds like I might be best off to just run the 2 command squads and 2 vets for troop choices then I can fill the other slots with vehicles?

If you google 40k combined arms detachment, there is a diagram of a CAD in the images tab.  I'd link here but not sure if against the rules.

You get 3 slots for heavy support.  Take a wyvern squad (1-3 wyverns) and now you have only two heavy support slots left.

You could use those two slots for 2 individual tanks, or 2 squadrons of tanks.

Alternatively, you could use a HQ slot (you get two HQ slots) for a tank commander.

Run Yarrick as one HQ

Run a Russ Tank Commander as the second HQ

Then run two 10 man vet squads as your two troops

Wyvern squad for one of the heavy support slots

Leaves you two heavy support slots to play with

If you google 40k combined arms detachment, there is a diagram of a CAD in the images tab.  I'd link here but not sure if against the rules.

You get 3 slots for heavy support.  Take a wyvern squad (1-3 wyverns) and now you have only two heavy support slots left.

You could use those two slots for 2 individual tanks, or 2 squadrons of tanks.

Alternatively, you could use a HQ slot (you get two HQ slots) for a tank commander.

Run Yarrick as one HQ

Run a Russ Tank Commander as the second HQ

Then run two 10 man vet squads as your two troops

Wyvern squad for one of the heavy support slots

Leaves you two heavy support slots to play with

Cheers Nismogrendel

I like the tank comander idea, it would work well if I'm going to concentrate on vehicles rather than troops.

It would appear my two command squads are either going to go to waste or I'll have to wait until I play a bigger game to use them!

Welcome to the Guard, er, Guardsman! You'll find a nice, warm cot at the end of tent H waiting for you with a nice, soothing cup of tea. What am I saying? You'll find no such thing. Off to the forward listening post with you!

Anyway, hopefully you've found the answer to your query as I'm rubbish at playing the game. The only thing I can tell you is that I'm filling in for a lazy sergeant. Preach to the men? No. Make sure the dead are actually dead? Oh no. Send the man with the large chainsword to welcome new recruits furious.gif.

Well, looks like it's your turn to man the autocannon. Good luck laugh.png!

Welcome to the Guard, er, Guardsman! You'll find a nice, warm cot at the end of tent H waiting for you with a nice, soothing cup of tea. What am I saying? You'll find no such thing. Off to the forward listening post with you!

Anyway, hopefully you've found the answer to your query as I'm rubbish at playing the game. The only thing I can tell you is that I'm filling in for a lazy sergeant. Preach to the men? No. Make sure the dead are actually dead? Oh no. Send the man with the large chainsword to welcome new recruits furious.gif.

Hahaha nice - I'm awful at this game too so at least I'm not alone then ;-)

I'm afraid I already did the autocannon earlier, can I borrow that heavy flamer though, need to heat this tin of rations!

You most certainly are in the right place, welcome to the B&C Guardsman :tu: The Guard codex is quite varied in what you can do which is great but it can be a little bewildering to start with, fortunately you can ask any question here and someone can help you out :) If you want to run a Veteran company (light on troops) that works, also opens up plenty of tank options to spend your points on but don't let your painting ability stop you.

Aside from no Guard army stopping the B&C is full of talented people for help you out. If not, it's also full of more modest skills and we can help you out too :) As long as you're building and painting models and trying your best you're winning at the hobby :D Have you thought about a colour scheme for your troops yet?

Highly recommend third-party models for Guardsmen, as everyone and their fething mother has a Cadian army. I recommend madrobotminiatures, it's where I got my not!Steel Legion.

Redundancy is the Guard's thing. There's an old saying, take three Guardsmen: one to die, one to miss, one to get the job done.

[quote name="nismogrendel" post="4184782"

It would appear my two command squads are either going to go to waste or I'll have to wait until I play a bigger game to use them!

Not so Guardsman,you'll find vets come with lots of great weapons options, and you'll want to make your hard bitten, scar riddled, battered troops stand out from any freshly founded regiment of Cadia.

The CCS sprue has lots of bits you won't find in the normal squad box so you'll have lots of ways to customise your veteran troopers. Plus the head with the slick back hair and bionic eye is just crying out to fit a tank commander :)

Not so Guardsman,you'll find vets come with lots of great weapons options, and you'll want to make your hard bitten, scar riddled, battered troops stand out from any freshly founded regiment of Cadia.

The CCS sprue has lots of bits you won't find in the normal squad box so you'll have lots of ways to customise your veteran troopers. Plus the head with the slick back hair and bionic eye is just crying out to fit a tank commander smile.png

Thanks Carraigf I shall take a close look at the sprues again before I build things! I like your highlanders theme, I have a rough idea of fluff for my army but think I need to flesh it out a bit to give me some focus.

My original idea was for a Cadian 49th that I could use San Fransisco 49er colours and history tied in with. I might have to read some of the fluff bits on here to see what I can come up with

Sounds like the army in real life. Oh, the stories I could tell ...

The CCS sprue has lots of bits you won't find in the normal squad box so you'll have lots of ways to customise your veteran troopers. Plus the head with the slick back hair and bionic eye is just crying out to fit a tank commander smile.png

That head you mentioned is definitely going onto my tanks once I get them. That tank commander will immediately be nicknamed "Wardaddy", regardless of his actual performance on the table.

• 1 month later...

So I'm finally gonna get to put these guys on the field!

Yarrick, 10 vets in a chimera

Commisar 10 vets in a chimera

LRBT

Wyvern

With some upgrades comes to about 750 points. I'm teaming up with a friend who has Blood Angels to take on 2000 pts of Orks.

I guess I better start glueing :-)

Nice! Not sure if you're planning on running the Vanilla Russ or not. If you haven't decided, I would advise the Eradicator. Ignores cover and the ability to use your sponsons will come in handy, plus it's 30 points cheaper base.

Edit: Note, the Eradicator is advised specifically for an Orks game. They aren't very good against, say, marines. 

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to use the standard russ as going forward I think I'll need it more. I'm quite fortunate that who I play with, if I wanted to play the russ as a different variant it wouldn't be a problem. Unless I win maybe ;-)

Yes and no. More troops means less tanks of course but they increase tank survivability by operating as a defensive picket. Tanks fold quickly to close combat assaults its one of the quickest and easiest ways to take them out especially against such heavy armour as Russ tanks. If you take fewer troops then you need to adapt accordingly as your list will play differently and you'll need to have the tanks operate cooperatively at all times.

Archived