IL XIV - The Dune Serpents

Big Bad Squig

There's a difference between the fine British art of innuendo and mere perv talk, by anyway I'm talking about the violence-inducing chemicals. Because nothing says "feth your morality and duty of care to mortals" than causing those mortals to eat each other's faces. Edited by bluntblade

Why not get loyalost Dune Serpents to use them during their raids on Icarion's eastern border? Show how savage and ruthless the fighting there is

Yeah, that'd definitely work - the Dune Serpents weren't ever going to be the most boundaried and ethical of the loyalists anyway!

I know this is speaking very broadly, but how would the traitor Serpents define themselves? Would they cast off most of their Legion's iconography, or at least alter their colours?

The traitor serpents under ?Malis? [EDIT: it's not Malis, silly squig] would definitely change colours, and might alter insignia as well.  Other groups that turned traitor more out of necessity so as not to be wiped out by nearby insurrectionists or hadn't had word from their Primarch would keep their colours for a while, perhaps hoping that the rest of the legion had gone the same way.  As time went on more and more groups would go the Blackshields path though.

Edited by Big Bad Squig

@Blunt: does that involve Kairos or one of the Lords of Change? Working on Andezos' end including one of these.

I'm working on the overall frame for my Legions fluff. When I finished this, I'll share it with you. It includes a potential champion for Tzeentch as well. :)

Edited by Kelborn

• 1 month later...

So I thought I'd move the work I did on Zulfiq to here for you, and show some of the other ideas I had for the other units and characters that were mentioned in the General thread.

Zulfiq Fal'uak (185 points)

Name

WS

BS

S

T

W

I

A

Ld

Sv

Zulfiq Fal'uak

2+

Unit Composition
  • 1 (Unique)

Unit Type

• Infantry (Character)

Wargear

• Artificer Armour
  • Su'en
  • Volkite Serpenta
  • Frag & Krak grenades
  • Grav-wave Generator

Special Rules

• Legiones Astartes (Dune Serpents)
  • Independent Character
  • Uncompromising
  • Sudden Strike
  • From the Shadows

Warlord Trait

• Paragon of Glory

Su'en

Name

Range

Strength

AP

Type

Su'en

-

User

Melee, Master Parry

Master Parry: When Fighting in a challenge, Zulfiq may exchange attacks he has yet to make that phase for bonuses to his invulnerable save. Each attack sacrificed increases the invulnerable save by one, no invulnerable save may be improved to more than 2+.
Sudden Strike: +1 Initiative on the charge.
Uncompromising: Whenever an opponent rolls a 1 when rolling to-hit Zulfik, in close combat, they immediately suffer a S4, AP- hit.

From the Shadows: Zulfiq has a 5+ invulnerable save.

Kalhu Nachash (110 points)

Name

WS

BS

S

T

W

I

A

Ld

Sv

Kalhu Nachash

2+

Unit Composition
  • 1 (Unique)

Unit Type

• Infantry (Character)

Wargear

• Artificer Armour
  • Thunder Hammer
  • Bolt Pistol
  • Frag & Krak grenades
  • Boarding Shield

Special Rules

• Independent Character
  • Implacable Advance
  • Hardened Armour

Warlord Trait

• Take and Hold (Kalhu and his unit gain the Stubborn special rule when holding an objective.)

Shamshir (185 points)

Name

WS

BS

S

T

W

I

A

Ld

Sv

Shamshir

3+

Unit Composition
  • 5 Shamshir

Unit Type

• Infantry

Wargear

• Power Armour
  • Charnabal Sabre
  • Volkite Serpenta
  • Frag & Krak grenades

Special Rules

• Chosen Warriors
  • Sudden Strike
  • From the Shadows

Options

• May take up to 5 additional Shamshir for +27 points per model.
  • Any Shamshir may replace their Charnabal Sabre with a Power Weapon for +5 points per model.
  • The unit may take Melta Bombs for +50 points.

Sudden Strike: +1 Initiative on the charge.

From the Shadows: Shamshir have a 5+ invulnerable save.

Dursk Rassan (275 points)

Name

WS

BS

S

T

W

I

A

Ld

Sv

Dursk Rassan

3+

Sergeant

3+

Unit Composition
  • 9 Dursk Rassan
  • 1 Sergeant

Unit Type

• Dursk Rassan: Infantry
  • Sergeant: Infantry (Character)

Wargear

• Power Armour
  • Heavy Chainsword
  • Bolt Pistol
  • Breacher Shield
  • Frag & Krak grenades

Special Rules

• Hardened Armour

Options

• May take up to 5 additional Dursk Rassan for +22 points per model.
  • One in 5 models may replace their Heavy Chainsword with a Thunder Hammer for +15 points per model.
  • The unit may take Melta Bombs for +50 points.
Edited by Grifftofer

I like Fal'uak, and the Shamshir look good too - scarily similar in fact to the version I had been working on - the only differences are I'd envisioned them with two wounds apiece and perhaps Deep Strike, although that hadn't been decided on.  However, the Dursk Rassan and Nachash were, in Blunt and my conversations and in the draft rules I came up with, essentially assault marines with hand flamers - and I believe they've already appeared in a couple of stories in this iteration.  I'd rather they ended up closer to this I think to reflect the Dune Serpents being a less combat oriented legion, as well as to mean that the already existing fluff doesn't need to be edited.

In other news, the other Serpents units are being worked on currently, as well as the fluff chapter for Book 2 - hopefully it'll be near done soon.