So I tricked myself into building a Guardsman

Emicus

As frequent visitors of the Barracks may be aware, I'm more than a little interested in tanks. Therefore troops are relegated to a firm last place if I rank things of interest, and static rank-and-file even less so (if that is possible).

So Guard is a horde army, and to not go completely mental one might want to not give a gakk about regular models, and line-assembly, line-paint, line up the firing squad and burry them in mass graves.  But for me it's really boring to clip out 20 bodies, mouldline and stick them together sweatshop style, HOWEVER EFFICIENT IT IS (it really is, if you aren't doing this when cranking out 50 conscripts, Emperor help you).​

​But uggghh.. so I retorted to dirty-tricks over on the blog to work my total army up to this

Trust me its a pain we all feel. Its either a labor of love or a masochistic urge (probably both tbh).

Ive found keeping it simple, assembly line painting, and just sitting down and knocking out your infantry (can breaknit up over a few days)(weed/beer helps).

Just do a couple of models at a time. I will leave a unit on my coffee table and just work on them when I watch tv. Just little increments at a time and you'll get there before you know it. I now have 90 regular infantry 20 scions 12 heavy weapon teams and about 30 guard with special weapons to swap around.

Very nice colours there! Like you I'm a rabid treadhead so troopers are a little hard to do, doesn't help that they have more detail and I've got a camouflage scheme for them either... :P However now I have plenty of painted Guardsmen because I dedicated myself to the task :) Aside from needing my troops for games and options I was running out of tanks to paint and it got to the stage where I had more tanks than infantry I think :lol:

Batch painting will get the job done. There are several ways to do it (squads, weapons etc) but I prefer to take them as I like. So for example five or so models at a time is a good number; not too few so batch painting is less efficient but not too many as to take long. Mostly lasgun troops but have a special model or two to help spice it up like a special weapon or sergeant and that keeps me interested. You can also swap between projects so when you're getting bored of infantry get cracking on another tank ;)

There's a reason I probably have as many painted tanks as infantry. Those fiddly, little Guardsmen are tough to motivate yourself to paint.

I'm planning on dedicating some time to smashing them out by using them as buffers. If I wanna paint something, I gotta paint a squad first. Assembly line painting is the way forward, with something in the background like a movie or TV show.

Archived