Strike Force Belicosa: A Scions/ Grey Knights WIP

Snuggatron

So recently I posted an army list over on the AM list board ( http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/314105-tempestas-and-knights-of-2-flavors/ ) and a fine fellow asked to see my models. This gave me the idea for this thread, I've always kinda wanted to do a WIP thread, and I figure it'll be an excellent way to keep me motivated and actually get me to build and paint an entire force. Now a warning: this is more than likely going to be a pretty slow build, due to monetary concerns and all that good crap, but I have until January to finish it all, and that seems doable to me.

So without further ado, let's get this party started!

The model that started it all: I present to you Ferrum Morsu, my knight crusader. I had originally painted him up with the intent of creating Mechanicum force, but ended up giving up on that idea, wanting a accompanying force for him I created strike force belicosa.

Ferrum Morsu

Also I got the 1st 2 kits of the project! I should be done building them tonight and then I can finalize my paint scheme, after that it's off to priming and painting (once Jersey stops getting pounded by all this rain and making it hard for me to prime).

It Begins!

Again I apologize for my snail's pace hobbying, but I got my 2 test models done! Terminator Squad 1 has a painted justicar and the Scions have a painted Tempestor Prime now! Both models still need the odd touch-up (the Tempestor's BP needs some work, and I have to put a green glow onto the Force Falchions), and I need to figure out the perfect amount of Agrellen Earth on the base so that I can get that cracked earth look, but not have it be too small or flaking off.

Justicar 1

Tempestor Prime

Managed to finish the 1st squad of Termies this morning, was going to start on the scions as well but my Mephiston Red pot was all out ohmy.png , so I guess ill be doing that tomorrow after some restocking. Each Terminator was actually given their own personal heraldry, something that I surprised even myself by doing, all force weapons glow green (to match my lime green spot color), and I finally got the crackle paint to do what it's supposed to, so I'd have to say this batch went better than I expected.

Termie S1

S1 Justicar

S1 Special

S1 Halberds

• 2 weeks later...

I love the look of your Scions! they have a nice resemblance to mine msn-wink.gif and I already have a Grey Knight army and I might take the idea of a joint force of the two on

the field! Awesome progress overall!

Thanks man! I'm doing my very best to make these look as good as possible. With my current win/ loss in the game I at least want my force to look good before I get tabled msn-wink.gif

New additions to the family! Pay day has come and gone, and with it my wallet is full of dollars to immediately spend on war dollys. This weeks purchases were a shiny new DreadKnight and the Librarian that will be leading my army.

DK 1

Libby

got em all primed silver and coated with nuln oil, so now that the prep work is done I can get some paint on them once they're nice and dry.

Primed and Washed

Recently managed to make a little bit of progress on my painting, finishing up my 1st DreadKnight and my Librarian. I must say as cool of a model as the Dread Knight is, I must say it is quite boring to paint, but here he is all finished up.

DK1

I need to re-photograph the Librarian, as the files aren't uploading for whatever reason, and I'll be working on finishing the 1st 10 scions up as the week goes on.

PS. there may be a break in content with the release of the 30k plastics as I'll be picking that up and beginning work on my Salamanders force.

I know that I've already posted today but I have a question about the Librarian, if you don't mind: can you put different shoulder pauldrons on him? I'd like to put my Grey Knights Terminator pauldrons on his shoulders but if I can't then I'll pass on him and keep making my own. Wow, I just looked at the last picture and that answered my question. Still, he needs a good beard...to the Green Stuff!

Really, your guys are looking great and it's a pleasure to watch this army grow. I remember the days every paycheck went to Games Workshop. Ah, those truly were the days.

Anyway, I'll have to remind myself to come down here more often and see what's happening.

Keep it up thumbsup.gif!

It's good to see people enjoying the development of my modest little project =), and I admit it is good to paint the models as I buy and build them (helps to lesson my already massive painting backlog). Also, I promise I don't put whole paychecks into models, I just alot myself a partition of each one to the continuation of my hobby, The lady would have my head on a platter if I spent any huge portion of my wages on little plastic men.

• 1 month later...

Now that finals and the bulk of holiday stuff are done with I've been able to log a bit more time at the painting table. I put these guys off for quite a long time, as the all the detail work on them was getting tiring, and the 30k box marines were just too tempting, but I buckled down the last 2 days and managed to finish these 9 guys!

Scions done

• 2 weeks later...

Got the 2nd (and final) Grey Knight Termie squad over the holidays and managed to build, and speed paint, them up.

Termie S2

also used some holiday cash and to pick up what was left of the force, so with a healthy amount of motivation I may be able to finish the force by mid February!

Lol maybe mid to late February, scions take a lot for me to muster up the desire to paint them, with all that fiddly little detail work on them. Luckily the dread knight is much simpler: silver primer, wash, details, done.

I feel the same way! Which is why I've maybe painted 10/25 of my scions and I've had them 18months. (Also I rarely play with that many of them)

• 2 months later...

So about a month or 2 I finally got a game in with the list against Eldar Corsairs, and did pretty much what I expected it to.

Deployment

T1

Turn 1:

- I am (naturally) seized on.

- The Knight takes shots from a squadron of the corsair strength D tanks and is knocked down to 2 remaining hull.

- the Dreadknights take a couple shots, but weather the storm.

- Reserves only bring in 1 unit of Terminators.

- The Knight moves up and both Dreadknights shunt up their 30.

- Knight and DK shoot at a tank to wreck it, other DK flames and shoots a unit of bikers to wipe them off the table, and Terminators kill 1/3 of another.

End of 1

T2

Turn 2:

- Corsair Prince and co move up to lance a DK to death, while the remaining D Tank finishes off the Knight.

- Other units shuffle around, whittling a Terminator squad down to 2.

- Reserves come in and the HQ squad, Plasma Squad 1, and Plasma Squad 2 all decide to show up, while Melta Squad 1 scatters into a building and dies and Melta Squad 2 returns to reserves to hang out with the other Terminators.

- HQ Squad puts 4 melta shots into the D Tank, and a combination of the surviving DK and a Plasma Squad wipe out a unit of bikers, the other Plasma squad puts a few shots into the big HQ bike squad but only manages to kill 1 biker while the prince makes his rerollable 2++.

End of 2

T3

Turn 3:
- The HQ Bikes move up to shoot the Plasma Squad down to 2 men, then assaults them, wiping the unit with hammers of wrath as the other gets shot to death.
- Lots of shots are put onto the Terminator squad wiping it to a man.

- Reserves are rolled and Terminators decide they are too good for this fight yet again. While the Melta squad drops and puts some shots on the footslogging Corsair.
- DK walks up to flame and blast away yet another group of bikers.
End of 3

T4

Turn 4:

- His HQ unit breaks up and murders the remaining Scions.

- Footslogging fellows use some webway power to poof behind my DK

- Reserves automatically arrive forcing those lazy Termies to join the picnic. They do a perfect scatter into the center of a nearby tower, scoring a perfect 3 pointer, and suffering no negative repercussions.

- The Terminators pour shots into a rerollable 2++ and manage to break it!

- Terminators cast hammerhand for giggles and end up perils-ing, but get the result that turns them into CC monsters.

- The DK shoots as well but doesn't break the other 2++.

End of 4

T5

Turn 5:
- Lasers get shot at the DK, killing him.
- More lasers get shot but the Terminators tough it out.

- Terminators shoot at a unit and break another 2++.

- and I roll to end the game, he ends up winning by 3 or so maelstrom points.

Sorry for the choppy format but I was trying to remember what happened as the game went on. I played another game tonight as well, but I forgot to take pictures, it was a sound whooping and ended after 3 turns, so you aren't missing too much at least.

Archived