Antitank

noigrim

The next mystery is for Laser Destroyers. They have 48" range in Conquest. Which one is intended? Nobody knows.

Our group is trying them out at 48" for legions. So far the change seems pretty good (people are taking them) as it gives the same firepower as a las vindi with more survivability for roughly the same points, but is very static and vulnerable to templates.

Massaen, one thing that must be kept in mind is that Forge World have a tendency to write their rules without a lot of proof-reading. Water-tight is far from what they are! They are often testing rules out and even if they are "official", lots of mistakes are made.

- Laser destroyer arrays has been a confusing for a while. Different parts of different books had 36" or 48". Solar Auxilia were released and it suddenly had 48", and when the Vindicator was released, I would say it was "confirmed".

- Warlord Titan doesn't have "God of War" in Book V:Tempest, yet the lesser Titans do. Would you rule that it gets it (of course it SHOULD as Forge World merely made a typo) or not? Either way it was added to it's entry in the Mechanicum Red Book.

- until now, the Quad Mortar's frag shell Shell Shock rule was redundant with 7th edition Barrage.

They .pdf you linked Slipstreams was only put up when they released the new model, right? Good to see they're looking at things.

Yes it was. PDF only came along with the release of the Models. Same with the Contemptors getting Bumped to 3A Base with the release of the TL Volkite Culverin Arm.

You have several ways of dealing with tanks :

A) Inflict an Explodes! result on a Penetrating Hit (which supposes you get to penetrate)

B) Infilct enough glancing + penetrating hits to strip hull points

Predators have AV13/11/10 which means the following statements if your opponent is competent enough to use the Preds to its strengths :

1) Long range slow moving units will likely face the front armour.

2) Fast moving shooty units will likely face the side armour, regardless of whether they're long range or short range.

3) Melee units will hit on the rear armour (and they need to be fast enough to reach the Predators)

So, you have several reliable options regarding dealing with the Predators depending on your personal quirks by combining both what it takes to kill a Predator as well as the characteristics of anti-tank units :

1A) Lascannons and Laser Destroyers on slower mounted platforms like Land Raiders, Heavy  Support Squads, Rapier Batteries or other tanks of your own.

1B) I'm at a loss here, maybe spam Missile Launchers and Autocannons with Tank Hunters ?

2A) Multi Meltas to the side, Rhino/Pod mounted melta squads.

2B) Attack Bike mounted autocannons, Landspeeder Missiles, Plasmaguns

3A) Good old chainfist and meltabombs, but I really wouldn't recommend that because you're likely to blow up your own squads :D

3B) Drown them under krak grenades and plasmas.

- Laser destroyer arrays has been a confusing for a while. Different parts of different books had 36" or 48". Solar Auxilia were released and it suddenly had 48", and when the Vindicator was released, I would say it was "confirmed".

laser destroyer =/= laser destroyer array

The laser destroyer array is used on the rapier and the original vindi weapon swap but had no weapon stats until the solar auxilia.  The laser destroyer was used in the spartan lascannon weapon swap (and some other sponson mounts)

First try today, the mortar took two whole turns to kill the iron hands predator, I think I'll try the laser destroyer next time, since the rapier is very vulnerable, a single executioner cannon blew the crew up in one turn and they where in cover (5+)

If you want to kill a predator per turn, you have to play two quad mortars.

If you shot a predator in two turns with your quad mortar, he made his points back twice. How can you not like something making it's points back twice? Even when it dies in return. Points back twice.

• 2 weeks later...

^ You had best add Volkite to that list, Sir.

Martian rayguns are the business. The heavier ones are even pretty awesome anti-tank.

The now infamous depthcharge/anthrawes engagement is testament to how culverins can take out a spartan!

Also fresh in. Leviathan contemptor dread. It's 4+ invulnerable, and choice of 2 nasty guns a heavy 6 autocannon with sunder or a grav weapon with a 5" template capable of causing double hull point damage plus having a cc weapon with armourbane. Just don't let it near you.

Tried the laser instead, a disappointment it didn't kill a single predator, the quad mortar is way better

How the heck did you not?!

Did you use the new or old rules?

Set it up on a good fire position with machine spirit t 1 and blast away with over charge at anything you can!

Mine always makes its points back and more!

I did do the risk last night with 1hp left and wrecked myself though..Doh! 'Face palm'

Personally I think that nothing can beat a primaris ligtning with full multilasers and servitor control, pity that I don't have the skills to scratchbuild one!

It failed to hit in the first place, I was using the red book's rules, the mortis dreadnought gor better luck with his BS5 tough

Ah you see tempest had it updated, the laser destroys array is a lot better in either the experimental rules (I think it is the same as tempest)

3 shots twin linked I usually hit minimum 2, and pen both. Then +3 on the damage chart (ap1, and ordinance) your blowing thjngs up on 4s.

Ah you see tempest had it updated, the laser destroys array is a lot better in either the experimental rules (I think it is the same as tempest)

3 shots twin linked I usually hit minimum 2, and pen both. Then +3 on the damage chart (ap1, and ordinance) your blowing thjngs up on 4s.

Ummm, you only get +2 I think. Ordnance lets you roll twice, pick highest, when trying to penetrate.

Ummm, you only get +2 I think. Ordnance lets you roll twice, pick highest, when trying to penetrate.

You get one tl shot if you moved, and if Youv set up a good fire position you can choose to shoot 2, or 'overcharge' you roll a d6, on a 1 you take a hp of damage, then you shoot 3 tl str 9 ap1 ordinance laser destroyer.

Hits on 3s re rolling. Str9, roll 2 pick the highest. Then +3 to the damage chart. Boom bye bye most things your pointing at. Struggle a little with av 14, but i have other things to shoot at it too.

Drop Pod Armillus Dynat Tank Hunter list can deploy some on Rear Arcs 2nd turn. Arguably by Hammerblow Assault, and more relibaly with a Kharybdis (which gets Inertial guidance).

2nd turn gets 3 TL'd Tank Hunter Ordnance Shots with +1 to Pen.

205pts for Dynat with Dagger

210pts for Three Rapiers

260pts for Kharybdis

Hit on 3's, reroll misses

Penetrate on 6's against land raiders, roll two dice choose the highest, rerolling failures kill on a 3+

^ You had best add Volkite to that list, Sir.

Martian rayguns are the business. The heavier ones are even pretty awesome anti-tank.

The now infamous depthcharge/anthrawes engagement is testament to how culverins can take out a spartan!

Also fresh in. Leviathan contemptor dread. It's 4+ invulnerable, and choice of 2 nasty guns a heavy 6 autocannon with sunder or a grav weapon with a 5" template capable of causing double hull point damage plus having a cc weapon with armourbane. Just don't let it near you.

Yeah, that sly MF cast misfortune on my Spartan and then doused it with 40 S6 volkite shots.

I've actually found the quad las cannons on the Spartan to be super useful. I also run 2 las rapier destroyers, which have done quite well, but don't bank on me because I don't have an ample game community to test on and hone my list.

Archived