The Promethia Crusade: Reinforcements Arrive!

T-Rock

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, fellas! I have pitched my short story to the editors, and have got a positive response from my 500 word sample! I'll find out shortly if I get the thumbs up for publication. 

In other news, I have decided to take some Inquisitorial allies on board in order to beef up my lists. I'm not ecstatic about it fluff wise, but I suppose we both have the whole "kill the witch" thing in common, so I don't think its too out of the question to imagine an inquisitor working in coordination with a Marshall to kill some nasty psykers. I'm chomping at the bit to use them from a gameplay perspective, however. If I can manage to roll Master of Ambush on the Warlord table, then I am infiltrating a Land Raider AND scouting the other one with my Liber Heresius armed Inquisitor. On top of that, Psychotroke grenades, while a bit random, have huge potential in wrecking face in close combat, especially with the help of Heresius, which grants me re-rolls or an extra attack in combat every turn. 

That said, I am super underwhelmed with GWs inquisitors, so I'm attempting to kitbash some of my own. Bits are en route for my carapace armored inquisitor, but I had stuff on hand for the power armor versions. I'm having a hard time finding Inquisitor iconography, so I'm thinking I can freehand some "I's" fairly easily. Thoughts?

http://s15.postimg.org/tadfrdanf/IMG_0685.jpg

Grey Knights... if you get the cash, get a box of standard GK stuff, they have a plethora of =][= symbols for you to use on your Inquisitor... I am also currently on the hunt for a Carapace Armored, Bald, Scarred and Furious looking Inquisitor... possibly this guy: Witch Hunter or this guy: Primaris

Of course! Thanks for the suggestion. I just removed his shoulder pads and the book on his backpack. Ebay had some solid deals on some bits and bobs. Once I throw some Inquisition "I's" on there I think he'll be much improved. Currently, I was thinking he looked a bit too Dark Angel-esque. Although, I really like the hooded aspect of the model.

Also, might I suggest the Tempestus Scion box for your carapace equipped Inquisitor? I plan on getting a different head and arm than this. But, for me at least, the "over-the-shoulder" duster screams inquisitor. Additionally, the other four troops in the box work great for his acolytes or retinue. 

99120105055_TempestusScionsCommand01.jpg

Edited by T-Rock

Praise the Emperor! After an eternity perusing the web, I've finally found some acceptable heads to use for my inquisitor. These are going to look awesome, especially on the carapace inquisitor. I'm thinking the one on the far right looks like it'll be perfect.

http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/data/a-new/heads_crests/hooded-2-400x400.jpg

The hooded aspect of the model has given me some backstory ideas as well. I'm thinking it'll be related to some facial mutilation he received from a witch early in his training. Either that, or his teacher played fast and loose with his daemonhost, and it ended up killing him and scarring his acolyte. That'd help explain his hatred for psykers, and the corrupting arrogance that often accompanies their abilities. I'd imagine his Templar allies would appreciate the sentiment. I'll flesh it out later, but ideas are appreciated too!

Edited by T-Rock

• 2 weeks later...
Introducing Inqusitor Artur von Feldane: A strict puritanical member of the Ordo Hereticus with an especially deep hatred for all things witch related. Fluff coming soon...

http://s11.postimg.org/k37nuxwjn/IMG_0729.jpg  http://s11.postimg.org/65phpmygz/IMG_0730.jpg 

• 3 weeks later...

Lost yet another game today. I was excited to hear one of my usual opponents/buds wasn't bringing his Gladius, as it is insanely difficult to take on in objective games. Well, I show up and realized that instead he's running a Skyhammer alpha strike list with Tigarius and grav spam. Both my LRCs ganked turn 1. I was actually winning until he drew 3 maelstrom cards on objectives he was sitting on turn 4, and rolled 5 jink saves on his Storm Raven, which then dropped off an ironclad that ate my beefy crusader squad. So, that'll make my last month of games against...

-AdMech with Imperial Night

-Wulfen and Thunderwolf Cav (x3)

-Skyhammer and Tigarius

All losses.

In each of the losses my opponent as been complimentary of my tactics, and chalked my losses up to my bad luck/their good luck, but I can only be satisfied with that as an excuse for so long. Honestly, I am really starting to burn out on "competitive" games. Seeing as these are the lists people are running in casual pick up games, I think I'm going to start trying to drum up interest in restarting our campaign. I don't necessarily need to win to enjoy myself, as today was a fun game, but losing repeatedly to cheesy lists is starting to bore/frustrate/dishearten me.

What you related above is exactly what puts me off gaming. Since my gaming days, 5th edition, the game has significantly developed: new rules and things were introduced and everything became more complex. On the one hand, it's good - who doesn't like more variety. On the other hand, for a non-gamer the available options and power-builds are overwhelming. The worst thing is that if I feel that I'm drafting a list I like, it probably is useless because of all the "cheese" available out there (my last game in 6th/7th, which was supposed to be 'casual', was that against all the new Imperial Guard stuff, like mortar tanks with a bucket-load of re-rollable shots, a horde of guardsmen behind an agis, 3 psychers and Coatez (or whatever he's name is spelled - the unique inquisitor; moreover, my opponent made good use of my ignorance and told me that Coatez's eagle's attacks ignore armour).

I'm sorry for your predicament. I can only hope that you'll manage to find a way to enjoy the game, without resorting to cheese (well, we can ally stuff, right?).

Ironically, I think I'd be less frustrated if I sucked in the actual game. I'd always prefer to lose a game and have my opponent go "Hey man, had you done thing X-Y-Z differently, this game could have gone your way." The occasions that has happened, I've come away feeling much better about the loss. Typically though, the advice I receive is "Run your Templar as Ultramarines and do Gladius. Land Raiders are a point dump."

But, but...

BUT WHERE IS THE ZEAL?! (Side note, what is cool about a dozen troop carriers sitting on objectives anyway?) 

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer though, as my local gaming group is great. I've just happened to play a lot of games against the few guys who run the cheesiest lists, and am stubborn enough to keep banging my head against a wall and rematching. I'm sure if I suggested we do something fluffier, they'd go for it. I'm more of a narrative/fluff based player, but those games are harder to coordinate, and people around her tend to opt for their most competitive list when playing pick up games. 

Honestly, I probably deserve a mini-penitent crusade for my whining (I'll atone during the upcoming ETL), but some venting and commiseration was needed after the loss(es).

Edit: http://forgethenarrative.net/articles/sky-hammer-its-not-the-french-fries/

^^^THIS! I think I've found my answer. If you are a Templar player feeling the cheesy burn, this article has shown me the light. It does embrace some of said cheese, but a list with dreads and 40 marines shooting/stabbing things from drop pods seems fairly fluffy to me.

Edited by T-Rock

Yeah, I know what you mean dude. I've been lucky in that most of my opponents have been similar 'play what I like' gamers rather than cheesemongers. I've gotten my butt kicked by tournament-spec'd lists, and I've also managed to hang on and pull out a win against some. I'm not above squeezing some useful rules into my lists through allies (inquisitors/priests) formations (wip) or even count-as units (land speeder storm/lotd), but they're still my style of lists with my take on the fluff. I wouldnt expect them to win against anyone building truly competitively, but then I tend to avoid that kind of game. I don't envy your position of those are the only kind you can find, but I would encourage you not to compromise on your personal style ;)

In each of the losses my opponent as been complimentary of my tactics, and chalked my losses up to my bad luck/their good luck, but I can only be satisfied with that as an excuse for so long. Honestly, I am really starting to burn out on "competitive" games. Seeing as these are the lists people are running in casual pick up games, I think I'm going to start trying to drum up interest in restarting our campaign. I don't necessarily need to win to enjoy myself, as today was a fun game, but losing repeatedly to cheesy lists is starting to bore/frustrate/dishearten me.

Been having much the same experience for the past year. Ay ay.

For those of you who are feeling my pain, check the "How to Face Modern Armies" thread. There are some ideas brewing in there that I think have a lot of potential.

I'm curious to see what you all think actually, as I'm currently stuck in the echo chamber of my own excited musings.

I have finally drank from the chalice of victory, brothers! My month long losing streak has been snapped, thanks to some drop pod delivered pain on a buddy's Tyranid list. I might come back and flesh out the full battle report, but a few key moments...

• Wiping out about 30 some termagants turn 1 with all my shooting.

• My dreadnaught killing 5 genestealers and a brood lord turn 1 with his flamers

• Grimaldus killing a lictor with the final shot of my shooting phase, granting me d3 victory points instead of 1.

• My Inquisitor/Grimaldus blob killing 6 zoanthropes, a lictor, and 2 mawlocs.

• DENYING THE WITCH with two 5s to stop his nova-of-death (or something) no saves psychic power.

It's a good thing I liked the skyhammer formation because these fellas came for me in the mail today...

http://s30.postimg.org/ny8pqnpqp/IMG_0812.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Unfortunately, I started throwing details on these guys before I realized how close ETL was. The good news is, I still have plenty of devastators, assault marines, and an Emperor's Champion to contribute. Any C&C is welcome! At the suggestion of others on the forum I've started dry brushing armor with Codex Grey and slopping on a wash of Nuln Oil and have been incredibly pleased with the results! I feel like, since doing that, my models no longer look flat. I still have plenty of improving to do, but I'm excited at the progress I've made over the last 7-8 months. 

http://s32.postimg.org/cuwet0t8l/IMG_0879.jpg

Brothers! The beginning of the Promethia Crusade is nigh! Due to lots of real world issues and a rapid expansion of our gamer group, we've been putting off starting the Pyrriah Campaign for quite a few months. However, we have made major progress establishing the fluff and a loose schedule. Below is the campaign supplement I have designed (with some help & collaboration). I don't mean to toot the horn of my own Land Raider, but I think it looks pretty darn slick. Take a look (and a listen) and let me know what you think! I'll be creating these monthly with battle reports, fluff updates, short stories, etc. 

Edit: By the way, this is just the cover. Click to be transported to a magical world of 40k goodness!

issue_cover.php?UID=M0705796001462901678

Edited by T-Rock

So I have 6 grav cannons, 2 multi-meltas, a devastator sergeant, and 5 assault marines ready to roll for ETL. Before I made my opening vow though, I wanted to build a Marshall. My last attempt was less than exemplary so I ended up scrapping it. So! What advice do you all have to make a custom, badass marshal? Slash, it'd be great to see some examples!

A few things of note...

-My original attempt was from the Commander Box, but for some reason (older release maybe) the shorter legs made him terribly short in comparison to some of my other marines.

-I do like the cloak/double eagle back pack though, and think I'd like to include it on my new iteration.

-I'd like to magnetize him so he can either use a TH/SS or Burning Blade. 

-I don't know why, but I typically like my HQ units to go without a helmet. Even though the idea of Space Marines fighting without them makes little to no sense, it just looks darn cool, and can add a lot of character when done well.

I recently used the 'Solaq' captain from the re-packaged command squad + HQ box. The core of the figure is detailed and dynamic, with some chain and cloth stuff going on and a decent cape. You can then add any backpack you want really, and swap some shoulder pads. I used a Grizzled looking head from the sternguard box, but there are plenty of bare heads which have a lot of character to them. I magnetised at the wrists, although it admittedly was a little tricky.

My previous characters were built from both the Sternguard box (the posed legs on the rubble) and my bits-box (termie hammer/stormshield, upgrade sprues and lots of cutting) and from the old metal 'Marshal with Axe' who was easy to magnetise at the wrist for weapon swaps. He is a cool looking figure (although a touch small by modern standards).

Brothers! The beginning of the Promethia Crusade is nigh! Due to lots of real world issues and a rapid expansion of our gamer group, we've been putting off starting the Pyrriah Campaign for quite a few months. However, we have made major progress establishing the fluff and a loose schedule. Below is the campaign supplement I have designed (with some help & collaboration). I don't mean to toot the horn of my own Land Raider, but I think it looks pretty darn slick. Take a look (and a listen) and let me know what you think! I'll be creating these monthly with battle reports, fluff updates, short stories, etc.

Edit: By the way, this is just the cover. Click to be transported to a magical world of 40k goodness!

https://www.joomag.com/Frontend/embed/cover/issue_cover.php?UID=M0705796001462901678

Neat job.

So I have 6 grav cannons, 2 multi-meltas, a devastator sergeant, and 5 assault marines ready to roll for ETL. Before I made my opening vow though, I wanted to build a Marshall. My last attempt was less than exemplary so I ended up scrapping it. So! What advice do you all have to make a custom, badass marshal? Slash, it'd be great to see some examples!

A few things of note...

-My original attempt was from the Commander Box, but for some reason (older release maybe) the shorter legs made him terribly short in comparison to some of my other marines.

-I do like the cloak/double eagle back pack though, and think I'd like to include it on my new iteration.

-I'd like to magnetize him so he can either use a TH/SS or Burning Blade.

-I don't know why, but I typically like my HQ units to go without a helmet. Even though the idea of Space Marines fighting without them makes little to no sense, it just looks darn cool, and can add a lot of character when done well.

Here's my own HQs :

gallery_83433_11463_102653.jpg

Made from BT bits, backpack and back/cape from the SM Commander box, and OOP devastator legs. The Iron Halo is from the ven dread sprue, and the left hand is magnetised.

gallery_83433_11463_82229.jpg

BT torso and helmet, sternguard legs. Top tabard and cape are green stuff, both hands and the backpack are magnetised to allow for weapon choice and a backpack with iron halo (or jump pack).

gallery_83433_11463_43517.jpg

Obviously a minor conversion from the finecast EC. I've added the lantern from the BT sprue and a grav pistol as well as a iron halo, and filed off the laurels on the helmet. To be honnest I now want to redo this guy because the painting is substandard.

Hope it helps.

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I looked around for some Solaq bits, but eventually realized it is basically the same model as the one included in the Company Command box. Seeing as I've been wanting a banner and could always use some extra legs/bits, I just picked one up. Praise the Emperor for Amazon same day shipping.

As said, swap a few shoulder pads and such and I'll have myself a pretty solid marshal! Adding him (with burning blade and/or TH/SS) and an Emperors Champion to my next ETL vow!

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant - I just really failed to express myself clearly :P I did the same thing - I wanted the HQ and quite fancied doing a crusade banner, plus there's some cool bits in that kit (the kneeling legs, champion shoulderpads, chest and helm are all quite cool, and everyone's crusade should have an apothecary just for fluff's sake!)

• 2 weeks later...

And lo, in the year 2016 of our Lord Emperor, Tentcon was born!

So Saturday is our big kick off to the Pyrriah campaign! The head of our gamer group has a giant tent, a giant keg, and a giant gaming table for us to have an epic multi-player apocalypse battle. With my girlfriend out of town for the weekend, I will be spending 8-9 distraction free hours in the beautiful sunshine drinking fine beer and moving tiny plastic men around. To quote an overused phrase from our fluff: PRAISE MOTHER FLIPPIN' BE!

The main guy in our gamer group is a guru organizer, and has created a "game packet" of special rules, objectives, etc for each army. Essentially it will be: Ultramarines, Black Templar, Space Wolves, and Dark Angels vs. Khorne Demons, Chaos Guard and Orks with Tyranid and Eldar being the wild cards.  I feel like I've exclusively played 1850 competitive games, so an epic narrative based apocalypse one is just what the apothecary ordered.

With my allies being particularly good at stabbing and shooting, I figured I'd do what Black Templar do best and saturate the board with land raiders and marines. Essentially, I'm running a Land Raider Spearhead with two 10 man crusader squads, and a 7 man honor guard squad lead by a TH/Shield Eternal Marshal, as well as a Skyhammer Annihilation Force focused on stabbing (The smurf can do the shooting). The way I see it that all but guarantees all my marines make it in to close combat.  In total, I'll have roughly 60 of them on the board as well as 3 LRCs. I must say, I think this looks like an army that even the most dogmatic Templar (*cough*Firepower*cough*) would approve of!

http://s33.postimg.org/f8ov1hrcf/IMG_0936.jpg

Edited by T-Rock