Gargantuan Creatures

CyderPirate

How about a Stormlord packed full of lascannon teams with a kurov's aquila?  Over the top maybe, but it's dead.

I hadn't thought of that. I'm still in the 6th ed way of thinking that non-codex SHs are Apoc-only. 

Plus I've got a beaten up Stormlord kicking around somewhere that's waiting on some TLC.

Vultures can work for a wound or two (used two last week on one WK, took forever), but are not reliable with 3+ and the FNP a Garg gets. Paired Vendetta work better. If you have d-99 Elysians, you cans end in a executioner elite choice with 10 meltaguns deep-striking and rub it out almost right away. Pask is also pretty good with Rending.

How about a Stormlord packed full of lascannon teams with a kurov's aquila?  Over the top maybe, but it's dead.

Expect you could get two Wraithknights for that price, which punk out the Stormlord with 4 Heavy D-Cannon shots. And if Invisibility is up, or even just cover saves, then it might not even be a sure thing if you do manage to shoot first.

For some reason, the lad in question is struggling to find opponents (whod've thunk it?!), so I'm gonna give him a rematch next Wed.

The assassins and the Skitarii are getting dropped from the list. Fun, but pretty useless against this army. Likewise, the Medusa might get dropped. With no anti-tank, and cover saves all around, it didn't really do a great deal last game.

In their place I'll be taking:

Death Riders (good for catching the jetbikes, and might chip a wound or two off of the big 'un)

Rapier Battery

Heavy Weapon Squad w/Lascannons (sadly don't have the models for a full platoon yet)

I'm seriously considering the Stormlord - does anyone know where the latest rules are? Apoc book/IA something or other?

Possibly a Vulture to go after the other stuff - I was struggling to draw a bead on the jetbikes last game with their second move after shooting.

As much as I like misfortune/vendettas, I'd need to use the standard AM codex and I want to see if I can take him down using the Krieg Assault list for my main formation.

I really don't know how a Stormlord will do. You still need 6's to wound, and then he can invuln and feel no pain most of them. And then you've given him a truly lovely target for all his strength D. To be honest, my advice is just to diffuse your forces so much that it's a total waste of such a powerful unit, which can now only attack basic guardsman squads. 

I'm seriously considering the Stormlord - does anyone know where the latest rules are? Apoc book/IA something or other?

All the Baneblade variants are in the Escalation Expansion book.  A Stormlord is not going to do much to a Wraithknight though.  In fact none of the Baneblade variants will do much to Super Heavies/Gargantuan's aside from the Shadowsword with it's Strength D gun.  But a Shadowsword is still a big juicy target for a Wraithknight to Strength D you back, and Wraithknights are still 200pts cheaper.

Archived