Deathwatch substitute - opinions

Hi guys,

I played a game last night with a fluffy Inquisition list, featuring an Inquisitor, Sororitas, Grey Knights and an Assasin. What I'm missing is something to represent Deathwatch. They used to have rules back in the day and I still have the old metal shoulder pads/guns kicking around, so kinda fancied adding them to my list.

Anyway...does anyone know of a detachment that would suitably represent Deathwatch? I can't think of any which allow just one unit of veterans, but maybe someone else has something that'd be suitable.

Assuming you want to counts-as Sternguard, I think the minimum spend is:

Allied Detachment: Captain/Librarian, 5 Sternguard, 5 Tactical Marines/Scouts.

or

1st Company Task Force: 3x 5 Sternguard

Slightly more left field options:

Reclusiam Command Squad: Chaplain, Command Squad, Razorback.

or

Legion of the Damned Detachment: 5 Legionnaires

Or if your opponent will go for it, War Zone Damnos includes a Deathwatch Strike Team Apocalypse Formation (1 Captain, 2+ Sternguard/Vanguard squads in any combination). It's pretty tame compared to plenty of actual 40k Formations now, just preferred enemy against one Xenos codex and anti-Necron ammo for bolters, but wasn't written for regular 40k (or the current Space Marine or Necron codexes, for that matter).

Thanks for the reply Lucien smile.png

I did consider the Legion of the Damned formation because I'd like to try and keep the model count down. Being the case, even though you've offered some other great suggestions, they might be more models than I'd like. I'll have a look into those though.

After playing around on Battlescribe I noticed there's a Planetstrike (attacker) Detachment which seems to allow just a HQ and Elite choice. Is that legal or retricted to Planetstrike missions?

Also, if I added a Space Marine Combined Arms detachment and simply made it Unbound, would that affect the rest of my army with regards to securing objectives?

After playing around on Battlescribe I noticed there's a Planetstrike (attacker) Detachment which seems to allow just a HQ and Elite choice. Is that legal or restricted to Planetstrike missions?

The Planetstrike Detachments are for Planetstrike Missions only.

Also, if I added a Space Marine Combined Arms detachment and simply made it Unbound, would that affect the rest of my army with regards to securing objectives?

The question doesn't make sense. If you're Unbound, regular Detachments don't exist. Only Formations retain their rules.

Either you added a valid CAD, in which case you're still Battle-forged, or your entire army is Unbound with any Formations retaining their special rules. Adding a CAD can't make you Unbound.

Pedro Kanto used to make Elite units into troops.

Is that still the case? If so Kantor as Deathwatch commander and then use Stern or Van Guard to represent the deathwatch marines.

Sternguard special ammo for killing all kinds of unclean xeno-types

You could get a unit of five wolfguards along with a battle leader or rune priest and count them as Deathwatch. Using the Champion of Fenris, you need 1 HQ and 2 Elite choices, so you could take an iron priest to accompany your kill team or a dreadnought.

The wolfguards have a lots of wargear options to make each one of them unique, just like the Deathwatch kill teams. Plus, you get counter attack and acute senses - that could represent the Deathwatch advanced powers armor autosenses.

Pedro Kanto used to make Elite units into troops.

Is that still the case? If so Kantor as Deathwatch commander and then use Stern or Van Guard to represent the deathwatch marines.

Sternguard special ammo for killing all kinds of unclean xeno-types

I've had a quick look, and I think he just makes them Objective Secured.

@jpqyrm - I'll have a look into that, thanks for the suggestion :)

You could get a unit of five wolfguards along with a battle leader or rune priest and count them as Deathwatch. Using the Champion of Fenris, you need 1 HQ and 2 Elite choices, so you could take an iron priest to accompany your kill team or a dreadnought.

The wolfguards have a lots of wargear options to make each one of them unique, just like the Deathwatch kill teams. Plus, you get counter attack and acute senses - that could represent the Deathwatch advanced powers armor autosenses.

Funnily enough i have just bought the figures to make up Kill-Team Talon and am using exactly that codex.

It does work out expensive (514pts) but I ended up with:

Lyandro Karras "Scholar" Codicier of the Death Spectres (Rune Priest rules)

Darrion Rauth "Watcher" Battle-brother of the Exorcists (Ulrik the Slayer rules)

Maximmion Voss "Omni" Sergeant of the Imperial Fists (Wolf Guard rules)

Ignatio Solarian "Prophet" Battle-brother of the Ultramarines (Wolf Guard rules)

Siefer Zeed "Ghost" Battle-brother of the Raven Guard (Wolf Guard rules)       Chyron Dreadnought of the Lamenters (Murderfang rules)

and a ton of special rules

Unit Special Rules  

Acute Senses  

ATSKNF  

Counter-Attack  +1A when charged if not already in combat

Healing Balms 6+ FNP whilst "Watcher" is alive

Fear Whilst "Watcher" is alive

Fearless Whilst "Watcher" is alive

Stubborn Whilst "Watcher" is alive

Prefered Enemy Reroll failed To Hit and To Wound rolls of 1 whilst "Watcher" is alive

Prefered Enemy (Character) All the time, must make and accept challenges when possible.

+1 WS Champions of Fenris - Company of the Great Wolf Detachment

Lyandro Karras "Scholar" Codicier of the Death Spectres (Rune Priest rules)

Darrion Rauth "Watcher" Battle-brother of the Exorcists (Ulrik the Slayer rules)

Maximmion Voss "Omni" Sergeant of the Imperial Fists (Wolf Guard rules)

Ignatio Solarian "Prophet" Battle-brother of the Ultramarines (Wolf Guard rules)

Siefer Zeed "Ghost" Battle-brother of the Raven Guard (Wolf Guard rules)       Chyron Dreadnought of the Lamenters (Murderfang rules)

and a ton of special rules

Unit Special Rules  

Acute Senses  

ATSKNF  

Counter-Attack  +1A when charged if not already in combat

Healing Balms 6+ FNP whilst "Watcher" is alive

Fear Whilst "Watcher" is alive

Fearless Whilst "Watcher" is alive

Stubborn Whilst "Watcher" is alive

Prefered Enemy Reroll failed To Hit and To Wound rolls of 1 whilst "Watcher" is alive

Prefered Enemy (Character) All the time, must make and accept challenges when possible.

+1 WS Champions of Fenris - Company of the Great Wolf Detachment

How do you manage to only take 3 Wolf Guard? A squad is a minimum of 5. I assume you're taking them in terminator armour as that's a starting squad of 3.

1st Company Task Force is how I run my Deathwatch.  It does mean you end up with the "odd" situation of like 5 Kill Teams working together, but meh.  It's not like Wraithknights being present at every single Eldar battle is that fluffy either.  If that many Wraithknights were kicking around all at once, I'd probably expect the Deathwatch to be representing in force anyway.

Fear, Fearless, Preferred Enemy against an enemy unit and the Leadership penalty to enemy units works pretty good for Deathwatch rules imo.  Run them with Ultramarine tactics so you activate "Deathwatch Doctrines" where necessary.  I also use an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor as the Warlord.  Sternguard and Vanguard units have plenty of options to kit out models to give each model a unique feel. 

Archived