Fluff wise can a space marine become a Inquisitor?

Lord Lee

I would think it more likely that he would choose to become a Black Shield or go on a suicide mission. Although, to answer your question, it would depend on whether or not he was suitable. It's highly probable that he wouldn't be.

Isnt Hector Rex a possible candidate or am I misremembering something?

IIRC, Hector Rex is a human, not a space marine. Just an unusually big human. Like Andre the Giant.

Yes, this is correct, Hector Rex is not a marine, he's human. Just really big, a "giant of a man" in the fluff. In fact, his custom made armour which I thought was terminator armour is actually artificer armour. He's just that big. In an Empire the size of the Imperium you will get variations like that.

In the bureaucratic nightmare of Imperial legislation titles are keys to rapid action. For the sake of practicality and due to necessity a Space Marine might be entitled Inquisitor. The only parallel I know - and it is a poor parallel - is Colonel Commissar Ibram Gaunt. Essentially he is a commissar serving the function of Colonel while operating on the field. If the Inquisition found it necessary that a space marine carry out an inquisitorial role and control all the powers given an inquisitor it would certainly be a dangerous issue. But given the nature of the universe it isn't impossible. 

We have no records of this kind of event. But the justification exists. 

I think there's several issues with it, personally.

Firstly, Space Marines are notoriously independant, and I can see many high-ranking Inquisitors seeing unfortunate parallels with the Horus Heresy seeing a Space Marine being given limitless authority within the Imperium. That was basically the entire thing the Codex Astartes was brought in to prevent happening, that the Space Marines would be independant strike-forces, not capable of controlling Imperial Guard/Navy, and not ruling over humanity.

Secondly, and more importantly, what would be the purpose? Space Marines are living weapons. They're not trained to investigate, they are the Emperors Wrath. I guess they could be a very useful ally to a Monodominant "burn them all, the Emperor will know his own" type, but they don't need to be an Inquisitor for that.

They can't blend in with those they're investigating, their social skills are near-autistic compared to "normal" humans, and they're literally built for waging war. Literally what use is there in making them an Inquisitor?

Making one an Inquisitorial Agent, though, is a very different thing. We know the Red Hunters have incredibly strong ties to the Inquisition, but they're closer to a standing army. Perhaps an Inquisitor might second a Red Hunter to his warband to act as muscle, or bring along a strike team, but I just can't see who would gain anything by making a Space Marine into an Inquisitor.

Archived