Cadians and Elysians

Ahazra Redth

Inspired by the Betalis III campaigns, I want to do a list that combines Cadians and Elysian Drop Troops. My idea would be to have Cadians as the main force, using their tanks and artillery to hold a gun line, while an Elysian detachment moved forward in Valkyries with (maybe) a vulture to take care of enemy forces. Is this feasible?

Another idea I just had would be to give the Cadians a Hydra/Wyvern to shoot up the enemy. I know very little about AM, though, so help is definitely requested.

Sounds like a good plan, and one that would suit the armies strengths too. Do you have particular ideas in mind for the builds? Tanks and artillery is good, but will be vulnerable without infantry support. You don't want to be dropping too many large blast markers on the enemy if your Elysians are going to be jumping in close either, at least not without a good plan.

Not bad in theory, but a lot of armies have ways around that. Drop pods coming in turn 1, skimmers etc there is plenty that can mess with that and the Elysians don't have much staying power. They're better off getting stuck in and tearing chunks off, doing as much damage as they can as quickly as possible. So you can still achieve a similar result, just more focused on hitting rather than funnelling. For example elements are are available/vulnerable for your big guns can get slapped around by them, leaving your Elysians to act as "trouble consultants" to come zipping in to remove things before they become problems.

We do have some comrades who make use of the Elysians here so they should be along to provide more detailed help. In the meantime you can tell us more about your army - do you have colour schemes in mind or some fluff?

For Fluff:
I'm going for the Battle of Dawning Twilight. Fought during the Betalis III campaign, Cadian Shock Troops and Elysian Drop Troops fought alongside members of the Space Wolves chapter and the 8 remaining titans of the Legio Gryphonicus to defend the Mining planet from Eldar of Craftworld Mymeara and Craftworld Aitaloc, as well as corsairs of the Void Dragons, Sky Raiders, and Sunblitz Brotherhood. The Eldar were trying to regain the armor of phoenix lord Irillyth, whos ship had crashlanded on the planet.

This was on an Ice planet, so I definitely want an ice camouflage. This color scheme from frontlinegaming looks awesome, but I don't know what colors those are:

~Drew.AM1_.jpg&w=534&h=0&zc=1&q=90&a=c

Another interesting point fluff-wise is that, from what I understand, is that some of the members of those regiments stayed on Betalis III, making up its planetary defence post-war. A goal of mine that ties into that is to design a battlefield based on Port Ryira, the peninsula that serves as their headquarters. It was supposed to be temporary, but was eventually fortified and turned into a permanent base.

Cool, looks like you're well set then! That'll be a nice colour scheme, but I'm not sure on the exact ones. That's probably white, or more accurately slightly off white so I'd wager maybe a mix. The grey is a dark one but I'm not sure which as I'm not up on the "new" paint names, if I had to guess I'd say Skavenblight Dinge? Did you check the link where you got the image, that might help with the colours used?

I would go with what Warrior Fish said. Use the Cadians as a base of fire (two - four tanks maximum) and plenty of platoons with Heavy weapons (or a heavy weapons squad if you wish. You wont need many more pie plates with two or four MBT's and then you have the Valk's giving you pie plates as well. I would add a Vendetta or two at the most for killing tanks and leave the platoons with Autocannons. I like the elysians coming to save the day types. I'd use vets in the Valks. Lastly for the Vulture keep in mind their are more loadouts than just the punisher cannon.

So what are some tanks you would recommend? I know Leman Russes are pretty standard, and I really am thinking about having a Wyvern in there, but I've never played AM so I don't know it those are any good.

I would recommend magnetising the kits so you have more choice ;) As to the actual variants it depends on what you need as all save the standard battle tank have a particular role to perform. The Eradicator will annihilate anything short of Marines at a bargain price, the Executioner will punish heavy infantry and MCs - the Demolisher will solve most problems albeit at a cost.

That's just a few examples too! If you look at the rules it's pretty clear what roles they can best serve. When in doubt you can take the standard and original tank and it will perform well enough at most roles. Still a S8 AP3 ordnance large blast after all, there's always going to be a nice target for it. Are there particular opponents that you want to deal with, or likely to face or have had trouble with in the past? The answers to that question might help you decide on a Russ :)

If you're feeling a bit saucy, I'd make your Elysian force D-99 and take advantage of the crazy special weapon squads (All Plasma or Melta or a Mix for 9 guys in one squad deep striking?  Yes please!) this opens up to you.  You'll be able to cover the HQ with Solomon Lok if you so desire and that opens up all of the Inquisitorial HQ members for you as well as servo skulls for your deep striking squads.  It will also allow you to give the entire force Preferred Enemy vs. Whatever Enemy you Want at the cost of a single disadvantage.  The D-99 Vulture also is a monster with more special rules (BS4); including deep striking and the preferred enemy rule...that makes the Punisher Cannon that much more threatening.  Oh and you can put the Vultures in a Squadron, allowing you more Vulture goodness while keeping inside of the Allied Detachment force organization.

You would want them only as an allied attachment as they are absolutely forbidden from taking a Super Heavy/Lord of War in their organizational structure but since the Cadians will be running point as the Combined force that shouldn't be a problem.  Using the Stormlord as a transport and putting the Extermination Squad inside of it for maximum plasma/melta firing points would make it damn dangerous.

I was working on something similar with my Lions of Leander VI but I am taking a break and focusing on the Solar Auxilia for a bit to avoid burning out.  4,000+ Points in one army starts to take its toll after a while!

Lok is Xenos, but since you're going with fluff I'd actually suggest sticking with the standard Elysian list rather than the very campaign-specific D-99 list.

The standard Elysian list is hard as nails anyway. Ground Scanners are pretty awesome, and the Avenger is a really nice backup option to take the Heavy slot (with your Vulture in fast attack).

I wouldn't bother with Vendettas personally in this list. You can get plenty of fliers as DTs with the Elysians, and Valkyries are't half bad with missile pods.

I don't have much experience with the ground pounders though, I'm afraid.

Archived