Help for a new Inquisitor

I'm starting a new 1850-2000pt army which will consist of imperial knights, inquisition (As the primary detachment) and maybe imperial guard, but I have a couple of questions that are bothering me about it:

1: Is Karamasov any good and can he take any form of transport? He kind of looks like a dreadnought so can he latch onto the back of a StormRaven or use a drop pod? As I understand Coteaz makes a great warlord but Karamasov has some nice support capabilities - I like the idea of pinning down the enemy with conscripts and bombarding them with his abilities.

2: Would the IG/AM make good allies? I already own their codex and it seems like the versatility (i.e. devil dogs, sentinels and wyverns) would complement the inquisition quite nicely and give me access to the numbers that Inquisition and Knights lack

PS: The two Knights I'm planning on are a Crusader (Already owned) and an Acheron (Soon to be bought, maybe), and I have plans for Acolyte squads and Inquisitorial valks to do the heavy lifting. 

1) Karamazov isn't a Dreadnought, he also can't embark on vehicles (or buildings) so I'm afraid your transport plan won't work.

2) Yes, Guard offer some guns and numbers which is great along with some versatility/options you won't find in the Inquisition codex. It's also a great opportunity to add some cool fluff :tu:

My Guard army is the private army of an Inquisitor Lord, in fact he's a central figure in all the fluff and armies I have (except for the DE I suppose, though that's as much them being fluffless so far!). The Inquisition is unrivalled in scope for model and fluff so you can really go to town :)

With the zealotry and rash nature of Karamazov, you could say the IG running before him were offered two options when their planet was deemed impure by the Inquisitor Lord and sentenced to Exterminatus. Sit on the rock whilst it was pummelled from orbit until planetary detonation, such penance would redeem them of their failure to keep the planet free from taint within his eyes.

Or to be his personal cohort and be charged at the enemy literally as a living meat shield, so that they may find atonement in the fires of battle. The latter seems to fit with the play style you want :)

Thanks for the informative answer Warriorfish, and I like where Katya's going with that fluff!

I'm thinking I'll have two forces; An elite IG force with a core of a CCS and some vets accompanied by a vendetta and a couple of devil dogs under the command of Coteaz, and another force which is more infantry and cheap artillery under Karamasov.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just thought I should post a new question here rather than make a new thread so as not to spam it up.

Is there a rule to say that you can't have multiple Inquisitorial detachments in an army? Is there anything to stop me from maybe breaking it up into 3 sections so that I can take 6 inquisitors? I've read what I hoped were relevant rules but I'm struggling to find much clarification on this, as I understand the Inquisition works similarly to Imperial Knights and Assassins in that they don't necessarily count as a separate codex - but that's all I can find.

Thanks

In 7th edition, there is no limit to how many detachments of any sort you take, so long as you fulfill the requirements. So, yes, you could take an army of nothing BUT Inquisitors, should you wish.
So you could take a CAD (say, Imperial Guard), two Inquisitorial Detachments (for say, three Inquisitors), a Allied Detachment (Grey Knights because why not), and three codex specific detachments (eg a Baal Strike Force [bA], a Wolves Unleashed [sW], and a Skitarii Maniple [skitarii]), and so long as you fulfill the requirements for each of those, you're entirely Battleforged.

This was in response to a slightly different question, but the core of it is relevant.

In 7th edition, there is no limit to how many detachments of any sort you take, so long as you fulfill the requirements. So, yes, you could take an army of nothing BUT Inquisitors, should you wish.

So you could take a CAD (say, Imperial Guard), two Inquisitorial Detachments (for say, three Inquisitors), a Allied Detachment (Grey Knights because why not), and three codex specific detachments (eg a Baal Strike Force [bA], a Wolves Unleashed [sW], and a Skitarii Maniple [skitarii]), and so long as you fulfill the requirements for each of those, you're entirely Battleforged.

This was in response to a slightly different question, but the core of it is relevant.

Awesome, this makes life a whole lot easier! Thankyou :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if you've made any purchases or started building anything yet?

1) Karamazov isn't a Dreadnought, he also can't embark on vehicles (or buildings) so I'm afraid your transport plan won't work.

2) Yes, Guard offer some guns and numbers which is great along with some versatility/options you won't find in the Inquisition codex. It's also a great opportunity to add some cool fluff thumbsup.gif

My Guard army is the private army of an Inquisitor Lord, in fact he's a central figure in all the fluff and armies I have (except for the DE I suppose, though that's as much them being fluffless so far!). The Inquisition is unrivalled in scope for model and fluff so you can really go to town smile.png

As always, Warriorfish has the right of it, and I can't add much more.

I'd just add re: (1) that I have no personal experience with Karamazov, but if you dig through the threads here you'll find at least one talking about his uses and abilities. He has the potential to be pretty good, I think his biggest bonus is that he can drop his orbital bombardment every turn not just once per battle and he can do so while moving thanks to his Throne. So there is definitely some possibilities there, especially with the no scatter if dropped on friendly models ... given the cheapness of acolytes (I believe stock acolytes are even cheaper than AM conscripts) this could be a viable tactic and a neat chance for some modeling (i.e. penitents or prisoners who your inquisitor uses as human target markers).

(2) I've only ever used =][= with AM but they do seem to work well together. My army's fluff is similar to that of Warriorfish's, inthat my DKoK force are guardsmen inducted into the service of Lord Inquisitor Soulis. Although I have yet to win a game of 7th edition so I'm more here for fluff and aesthetics advice rather than tactics!

(3) Having just said I'm not the best guy to ask about tactics, just a word of caution on the Valkyries doing any heavy lifting ... while they are undoubtedly very very cool looking models, and I've never had so much fun in 40K as I have with my "Krazy Krutackers" squad who grav-chute out of one every game with 3x plasma and a psyker, the Valkyrie itself doesn't really do a whole lot. In the current meta, it just doesn't have enough weapons to be a threat to anything, sadly.

Archived