Rhino rush viable?

RandomMarine

The topic says it all really.

I always take 10 men and a rhino with either a havoc or HB to fill my compulsory troops mainly to act as los blocks/ablative armour for them.

But I wondered if a rhino tac heavy army with say 4 tacs squad a few heavy slots would work at 2k

this is my idea for the list. In my local are the is only 1 player with as spartan and I play vs 40k lists as well.

+++ Rhino (2000pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) ++

+ HQ +

Spearhead-Centurion Castrmen Orth

+ Troops +

Legion Tactical Squad [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

··Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Auxiliary Drive, Blessed Autosimulacra, Havoc Launcher]

··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour]

··Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Auxiliary Drive, Blessed Autosimulacra, Havoc Launcher]

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought [blessed Autosimulacra, Havoc Launcher, Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

+ Heavy Support +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Armoured Ceramite]

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron

··Legion Predator Tank [blessed Autosimulacra, Lascannons, Machine Spirit]

··Legion Predator Tank [blessed Autosimulacra, Lascannons, Machine Spirit]

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank [Armoured Ceramite, Auxiliary Drive, Blessed Autosimulacra, Lascannons]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [X: Iron Hands]

Troops are the weakest link in many heresy armies. I wouldn't take 4 of them. Because first blood isn't really a thing anymore you can get away with a rhino wall, but I would consider support squads instead.

Yes, with no real fear for giving up a VP with First Blood under Strict 30k rules, using Tac Squads to fill your compulsories is all you really need.

If you want more bodies, go with Tac Support Squads since they pack more of a Punch. 

Yes. Use it with Breachers, Seekers and Veterans. Works well in Alpha Legion Pride of the Legion where Fearless Scoring Dual Tank Hunting Missile Drive bys can do a fair bit of damage.

Tactical Squads, eh. They score objectives. They are the most inportant thing in the game. Not so much that you are spending 240pts per unit on 10 bolters and a tl s5 blast, let alone 960pts on them.

That you have very little else worthwhile soending on them, your opponent might as well cripple your speed and kill them first.

In regards to facing 40k armies, 4 av11 hulls is hardly difficult to beat, and you have 200pts tied up in artificial points bloat supposedly used to make tactical squads more useable, so you are facing 1800 v 2k.

I would echo the sentiments of previous posters.

Nearly 1k on tacticals impacts your flexibility or ability to deliver sucker punch firepower. 40 MEQs is prime meat for the myriad AP3 pieplates on the board in 30k games.

For 115pts, a Whirwind Scorpius will delete swathes of tacticals every turn, for 230pts your tacticals will be mercilessly blown to smithereens in no short time. They could also deploy Bassies, Medusas (with phosphex to really :cuss you) and at 2k you can even come up against a Typhon which *will* delete your rhinos, tacts and soul in a single shot.

Said 2k list can also incorporate a deathball Spartan unit (while still packing the above pieplate monsters) which will prove a struggle for your 2x TL Lascannon Preds and Sicaran Lascannons.

Mass MEQ seems to only be a good idea if it's borne in assault transports in huge blobs. Ie Storm Eagle & Spartan filled with 20 Tacs & Apocs for FotL spam. Match it with Legion's that favour CC (WE!) and give them extra CCW for a surprisingly dank charge (20 tacticals with extra attack & legion rules = painapples)

I'd certainly not soup up the Rhinos. I'm not sure what those Havoc launchers would achieve?

Most of My opponents will be 40k armies apart from a foot death guard list. So I'm not to worried about the more interesting pie plates available in 30k. But I'm gonna tweak the list a bit after the c&c.

And if I wanted to just table ppl or win every time of I'd just run my questoris knight list

Most of My opponents will be 40k armies apart from a foot death guard list. So I'm not to worried about the more interesting pie plates available in 30k. But I'm gonna tweak the list a bit after the c&c.

And if I wanted to just table ppl or win every time of I'd just run my questoris knight list

Ahhh that would possibly help things. If you're facing a lot of infantry all those bolters & havocs will probably fare a lot better. 

30k is just filled with scary spooky things that murder 3+ saves. 

If you want to run a bunch of dudes in Rhinos, make the dudes more useful. Pride of the Legion with veterans is a better bet than plain tacticals.

This is the meat of the argument here. Pride will let you get some highly specialized troops instead of marines with bolters. Who needs bolters in the heresy anyways?

I was initially quite down on the Rhino Rush because of the amount of mid-strength firepower available to Legion lists, and pro-tac blob.  However, at this point, you're kind of damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't.  Take big blobs of tacticals and they're barely-mobile and die to WW Scorpii.  Take minimum tac squads in Rhinos and... they die to WW Scorpii.

It could be something besides a Scorpius that kills them, but the point remains.  Legion lists are very efficient at killing MEQ and Rhinos.  At this point I'd rather go tacs in Rhinos (cheaper + faster than tac blobs plus the Rhinos are scoring) or go Pride of the Legion/Chosen Few for vet troops in Rhinos.  Something cheap and mobile.

Making the dudes useful means that they are a higher priority target. They have a single role. To score and hold objectives. If a Rhino is zapping round and shooting a trio of Heavy Flamer shots, they become a reasonably high priority target and at 280pts a big chunk of points.

Meanwhile, I spend 185, saving 95pts for splodey things.

I was initially quite down on the Rhino Rush because of the amount of mid-strength firepower available to Legion lists, and pro-tac blob.  However, at this point, you're kind of damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't.  Take big blobs of tacticals and they're barely-mobile and die to WW Scorpii.  Take minimum tac squads in Rhinos and... they die to WW Scorpii.

It could be something besides a Scorpius that kills them, but the point remains.  Legion lists are very efficient at killing MEQ and Rhinos.  At this point I'd rather go tacs in Rhinos (cheaper + faster than tac blobs plus the Rhinos are scoring) or go Pride of the Legion/Chosen Few for vet troops in Rhinos.  Something cheap and mobile.

The Rhinos are not scoring in AoD games.

The Rhinos are not scoring in AoD games.

My mistake.  Still a denial unit, though, which can be worth something.

Archived