Flight of the Tenax (Scythes of the Emperor)

The Scythes

Aye Stercus, crazy game that Ultramarines - Space Crusade had its talons in me quickly.

Indeed Hughrong, you heard Warhammer Quest-Like. In fact, here's an update of the board sections:

Civilian Transport Engineering. Garishly painted and lit, with single file access ways.

http://the-scythes.com/wp-content/gallery/forums/engineering.jpg

Cargo Hold Section, Standard Transport (Dark, lots of mesh decking and cargo).

Service Lift on left, standard stores and bulk frozen stores on top side (Or however I wish to set up)

http://the-scythes.com/wp-content/gallery/forums/cargo.jpg

I'll be making Papercraft containers to go with this set.

Next up some further detailing and weathering, followed by bulkheads and blast doors. Then the game cards, thinking a simplified version of Space Crusade Orders!

Waiting on some bits from Australia to complete my first marine model; some painting done on the scouts - update about them next time :)

I just enjoyed reading your opening chapter of fiction and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm anxiously awaiting the next installments. I would love to know what rules systems you'll be using for your campaign if you don't mind. I'm trying to organize a 30k "Killteam" style campaign using the FW rules.

Hi ThousandEyes, thank you for your interest man :smile.: It should be a fun ride as we see how my Scythes fair in their efforts to reunite with Thorcyra at Miral.

Doghouse! My man :biggrin.: Gosh, our various works go back some time. Was recently reading your Truescale thread. I'm torn; I'd love to do big Marines, but it does limit the scope of bits I can use if I stick the card inserted 'upscaled' marines. I'm leaning toward the latter, likely bust out a Truescale Deathwatch marine later on in the project...and Basingstoke? I used to work the store there in the mall back in 1998-99.

Hi Ephrael :smile.: Thank you for the positive feedback, I'm currently writing portions of Chapter 2, the full work relies on how well the Sothans fair against these intruders aboard the convoy.

I'll edit out a couple of typos I spotted in the first chapter when I upload Chapter 2.

This weekend busy taking guests out on a charter catamaran; bit of sun in NZ presently. Monday should see my marine bits arrive and I'll complete the marines that fight with the Scouts.

Rules wise?

I'm blending 2nd Edition and Necromunda, the latter for experience, traits, injuries and flexibility in scenarios. I've heard about 30k's scenarios; I need to read up on these! :smile.:

The scenarios aboard the convoy will be a mix of Warhammer Quest/Space Crusade. The future cards/tables will help a lot for getting an idea of the Action Movie nature.

Models next, just wanted to reply to you guys :biggrin.:

Edited by The Scythes

• 1 year later...

Well over a year has passed since I updated this topic, a mix of new contract and moving about. That and a small horde of Goblins I've turned into a full fledged, heavily converted, army.

That said, the year did not pass with a few additions to the Flight of the Tenax project. As mentioned, this is no army project, but a Scythes version of Bloodquest. The whole series is Rogue-Like, with perma-death for characters throughout.

The marines begin in modern power armor as given the time when Sotha was lost. We shall see how they and their wargear survives the trials of adventuring back to the Chapter, if anyone remains at all.

So without further recap, here are the latest modelling efforts (with a few WIP touch ups) thus far with some paint work beginning on new Marines also.

It is tempting to run scenarios with SWA as the ruleset, but I need a little more leeway for these games, so I'll stick to Necromunda/2nd Ed. 40k.

This, is Gideon. Veteran Brother of the Fifth and noted marksman with a bolt pistol. He's the immovable object when an unstoppable force interrupts your plans.

http://the-scythes.com/wp-content/gallery/forums/scythes-gideon-wip.jpg

This is Eunos, a decade long serving Astartes. Alongside Brother Castus, he protected the immediate area of the loading bay (where point defense could not fire) of the Tenax while taking on refugees from Odessa spaceport. Cool under pressure, but can be fractious without task.

http://the-scythes.com/wp-content/gallery/forums/new-scythes-eunos.jpg

This is Stavus (Stah-Vuss, Sothan intonation). Newly initiated Marine, only weeks prior to Tyranids decimating the Chapter. He's vengeful and fast to action. The brothers are keeping a watchful eye on him, suspecting a need to be in the fight his bulwark against despair.

http://the-scythes.com/wp-content/gallery/forums/stavus-wip-scythes.png

Size comparison for the Marines to the Scouts. A deliberate enlargening to keep a majority of Marine model parts accessible to the project. Truescale would have been a constant conversion effort and consume too much time.

http://the-scythes.com/wp-content/gallery/forums/scythes-eunos-gideon-compare.jpg

I'll add some more shortly as I finish bases for the first scout squad.

Thanks!

Edited by The Scythes

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Death Spectre Sgt :)

Today adding the current work in progress paint for the first marines while I keep building scouts:

http://eastern-empire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/scythes-paint-in-progress.png

Trying my hand a very retro scout this week.

Thanks for reading folks :D

I love the truly retro look of your scouts. Do you have a stockpile of the old board game plastic scouts that you're harvesting the lower legs from? I'd love to try something similar but I don't have the old ines to cut up.

Really cool to see you back at it. Your works have always inspired me, so it's awesome to see the character you're imbuing these Marines with. I love the idea of the RPG-esque games you're planning, as it jives a lot with what I'm planning with my Deathwatch. 

Hope you're well - looking forward to seeing more! 

• 1 month later...

Thank you ! ephrael, oldschoolsoviet, Bjorn Firewalker, darknation, Commissar Molotov appreciate all the feedback and thoughts on the scouts :smile.:

Doing well Molotov, got inundated by work but I'm back on track now, with two more Classic scouts after acquiring some 6th Edition plastics, I quickly edited previous models and completing a third right now:

http://the-scythes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/cobon-ardan.jpg

Joining the Scythes of the Frigate, Tenax, Neophytes Ardan and Cobon, sole survivors of IV and VIII squads seconded to the Fifth during boarding actions against the Tyranid vanguard advance into Sothan territory.

Whilst a majority of the Tenth had recently been equipped with modern 'Infiltrator' armor, from Accatran forges. Ardan and Cobon wear the more readily available torso armor. Like all squads in the initial boarding action, they largely utilised traditional patterns, in use since the 3rd Founding.

On being hastily assigned to Xaver and his ad-hoc force, the duo re-equipped from the Tenax armory; Cobon chose an Ikano .50 Bolt pistol (With Spectris casing) with mono-molecular combat blade, whilst Ardan maintains his combat falx (an award for close quarter ability) but selected a Ryza-Ultima .75 bolt pistol with Stalker scope.

Thanks for your interest all! :)

Edited by The Scythes

Have to say, this is a really interesting way of driving a project and I am looking forward to seeing it develop.

I read the first chapter of the story and all I can say is, when is chapter 2 coming out?!?

I made an abortive attempt to do similar a few years back but on a bigger scale; with a company of Lamenters that fought the Fall of Devlan, obviously they would be getting friendly with some Nids priority delivery from Kraken. The idea was to do this in the style of the Space Marine Battles Books but I only got as far as the force chart and a description of the Devlan system:

gallery_60109_5815_130154.jpg

If you feel like your boys need some reinforcements it would be fun to shine a light on the fate of the emperor's most dedicated and unfortunate followers.

Cheers

LM

Thanks Lamenter, it is amusing in a positive manner to discuss this with a Lamenter :) Devlan action was very rough, not much has been said about it and it is somewhat as obscure as the Scythes once were (thanks to LJ Goulding and Richard Williams).

This is actually a cool idea. Do you have a particular Lamenter I could perhaps, recruit? He could be a really interesting character given his background and survivor guilt, given how the Chapter acquitted themselves to the bitter end.

I really should chart out the survivors, so far I have a list like Goulding, striking off each Sothan who dies.

Book wise, presently editing Chapter One, and beginning Chapter Two. There has been some historical changes due to "Slaughter at Giant's Coffin" I have to adhere too. I'm trying to keep the Tenax skirting the periphery of Laurie's GW plot line. In setting up the Tenax, as far as The Heart of Kronos battle barge is concerned, the Tenax perished trying to escape the Sothan system.

More shortly!

And thank you everyone for your interest as I've stuttered along the past 18months! :D

I think how our chapter's paths cross will depend on time line of events.

I think Sotha and Miral would occur before Devlan and Malvolion.

This provides a plot opportunity for a significant force of Lamenters to be on hand if needed, and then subsequently for the remnants of the two battles to be falling back from the advance of Kraken.

If you only wanted to take advantage of the latter, then I think you will cross paths with a Calix priest.

The priest being entrusted with the safe delivery of the gene seed recovered at Devlan to the rest of the chapter, plus the survivors of his retinue.

Lamenters depsite being near wiped out a number of times have always rebuilt and this probably explains, in part, the central role that the Calix Priesthood plays in the chapter. Also being well practised in how to survive from significant loss they probably have a protocol for these last stand situations.

Cheers
LM

Interesting, thanks for the background info LamenterMarine! :)

And now, an update. Having sourced the appropriate Heavy Bolter, I'm refitting a previously complete scout to add one last member of the Classic Squard remake.

Bringing back the back-breaking heavy weapons of yore'

http://the-scythes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/scy-scout-hvy-bltr.png

You can see how well the 6th Edition Empire plastic arms work in this modification. I trim off the cuff and first flourish - fits the scout vambrace perfectly. So far with minimal fuss I've been able to use 3 particular pairs of Warhammer arms to make these old-style sleeves.

In this case, the Hvy Bolter sits across his Torso carapace perfectly. I may bulk the gun's padding just a slight bit.

I took some How To photos during my last build, will post those soon once edited :)

Thanks for reading.

Seb.