HH Allied Knight tactics

depthcharge12

So I've been running up ideas in my head about the three Knights and Reaver Titan I will get to face off against Athrawes Warlord (heaven help my wallet) and I was playing around with the different roles for the Questoris list.

I really love the weapons/looks/ideal of the two "AdMech Knights" i.e. the Styrix and Magaera, and I think i found an awesome combination. Slap the Arbalester role on the Stryix, and it becomes a void shield/AA killer extraordinaire. On the ground, you not only get the eviscerating anti infantry power, but with S8 tank hunter, you can obliterate anything not AV14z it also functions very well to strip void shields quickly off of Titans so you can kill them with bigger weapons. You also have a tank hunting grav gun boob cannon, which is also super helpful for hurting Spartans and the like.

If you decide to stand still, you can sky fire 6 S8 tank hunting shots that can kill things like Caestus boarding Rams and thunderhhawk gunships (or at least put a big dent in them).

What are your thoughts? I understand very few people in their right mind would play against an all knight list, but this is to be used in conjunction with my Dark Angels for a larger scale battle. Or the tactics are applicable for anyone.

The Arballester Styrix is my go-to for whenever I actually make my own Knight Army. Can't really do wrong.

I'd nab an Atrapos too since hes the Only Knight who can pump out as Much S:D as he does. Whats not to love about a Potential 5" Vortex?

Yeah my plan is to do an Atrapos with the Occular Augmetics, the Styrix, and a Warden with the Gatling cannon/fist/missile pod once they update the Questoris list.

I'm going to do them up in the Malinax scheme (the new one with the scorpion) as it seems they are a Mechanicum controlled house.

A Dark Mechanicum house, actually tongue.png

Lol agreed, I can't wait to see the house's fluff. I'm still going to find a way for that house to join my 1st legion msn-wink.gif that paint scheme is brutal.

*old time news scoop voice*

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS! DARK ANGELS ALLIED TO THE DARK MECHANICUM!

WAS THEIR LOYALTY ALWAYS A SHAM?!

The Styrix only has 5 shots on the chierovile, and you lose use of the graviton gun while skyfiring. Just something to keep in mind. The Castigator tends to be better at wiping out medium vehicles and flyers due to its rate of fire. With the range of the Styrix, I actually prefer it as a Preceptor for that sweet sweet Interceptor against all those podding grav-guns (or Overwatch if someone actually decides to charge you). Being able to hand out both rules to nearby Knights is also very potent.

I hope next summer brings us a Knights redbook, that updates the Questoris Knights with a carapace weapon, and hopefully provide a similar option for the Castigator and Lancer, because otherwise their single ranged weapon is extremely limiting. As it is, the Lancer is relegated to very large games when you absolutely know there will be a big juicy ~500+ point target to point them at. The Castigator is only worthwhile if you're using the 30K list and have access to Arbalester. Otherwise, you're better off with a Paladin/Warden with missiles for AP3 death.

Should we actually turn this into an allied Knights tactics thread? I see most of us doing that :)

I'm just thinking of ways to take down Titans or other big baddies (yes you'll get a sexy batrep I promise ;)). I'm looking to strip void shields before getting in close with something like an Atrapos for an engine kill. My lists are very centered around knockout punches delivered to take out big enemy threats early before playing the waiting game. Might not be always tactically viable, but it's theatricality and shock factor is always worth it.

I honestly like the Maegra better due to it's lightning cannon, but feel like the Styrix performs better against Titans and other vehicles. Plus there's no real shortage of marine killing weaponry at that points level.

A Dark Mechanicum house, actually :P

Lol agreed, I can't wait to see the house's fluff. I'm still going to find a way for that house to join my 1st legion ;) that paint scheme is brutal.

*old time news scoop voice*

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS! DARK ANGELS ALLIED TO THE DARK MECHANICUM!

WAS THEIR LOYALTY ALWAYS A SHAM?!

Lmao. I am doing Pro-Lutherite Imperials ;) soooo our loyalty may be malleable.

I mean, but that cream with the scorpion is just too good to pass up, and it contrasts well with my black armored astartes.

Magaera is the worst Knight. That lightning cannon sucks compared to any other weapon option.

I guess it does, it just seems cool though and might be useful against terminators with rending and shred.

As for knight ranks, what do you guys think each Titan should go in?

HQ

-> Likely a Lancer or Atrapos as it will take them to god tier with the added ++ bonus. The BS improvement is sort of nominal, but the WS increase is useful for both Knights

Elites

Aucteller:

-> Lancer or Atrapos again. Best chances for killing their intended target to gain the VP, also the most likely to survive long enough to get a kill.

Preceptor:

-> Styrix, Magaera, and Castigator.

Feel free to add :)

I'd possibly add the Acheron to the Perceptor List. Overwatching with D6 Flamer hits or Intercepting with a Hellstorm Template (especially nasty in a bunched up Drop Pod Assault) is just too good, imo :p

I'd possibly add the Acheron to the Perceptor List. Overwatching with D6 Flamer hits or Intercepting with a Hellstorm Template (especially nasty in a bunched up Drop Pod Assault) is just too good, imo :p

I'd normally agree, but I think a sane person wouldn't neatly plop their drop pods in front of your Acheron, or even decide to assault it, especially if they know the consequences.

True enough but, its still nice to have anyways.

Besides, an Acheron is a good addition to any knight list since he literally roasts horde armies.

Oh agreed. I think he'd also make a good aspirant since he uses a template and his fist refills ones on the D table, so the -1 to WS and BS is not too detrimental :)

Would making a Castigator a knight Dolorous or Implacable be a wise investment? It'd gain a 5++ against melta bombs and the like, which seems like it would help considering you're going to face off against infantry, plus rerolls to stomp, which means you are absolute death to blobs. As an Implacable, the rerolls to charge and sweep are great for getting stuck into blobs or whatever to get all your attacks off.

An Acheron could also potentially make an Ok Uhlan. Sure it limits the range of his Hellstorm Template, but being able to Flame, Charge, Hit And Run, Flame, Charge will clear pretty much any blob real quick.

Seeing as how the style and reasom for this thread has changed some, would this be the appropriate place to ask which of the GW knight offerings I should pick up for my HH NL? And also ask which knight house/titan legio it would seem reasonable for him to belong? I have zero experience with this topic fwiw.

The Knight you want to choose will depend on what kind of Night Lords list you're running.

As far as where it could belong, we don't know too much about what Knight Houses operated alongside the Night Lords. You're free to invent your own! Or run Freeblades from any of the existing Houses that have a color scheme that you like. We do know the Legio Ulricon and both Vulcanum Legios operated alongside the NL though, and that Knights that have sworn themselves to Titan Legios wear the Legio's color scheme inverted to show fealty. ....but then again we have no idea what the Legio Ulricon colors are, so. Vulcanum is black/dark green I think.

Back to tactics, I'll put forward the Lancer as probably the most obvious choice for Uhlan. It can make decent use of Hit and Run with its Lance. The Atrapos makes sense in the role too, since it's already tough as nails and the hit to frontal AV isn't as big a deal for it.

Seeing as how the style and reasom for this thread has changed some, would this be the appropriate place to ask which of the GW knight offerings I should pick up for my HH NL? And also ask which knight house/titan legio it would seem reasonable for him to belong? I have zero experience with this topic fwiw.

I'd go for the knight errant. NLs are kings of anti infantry, but lack a strong or redundant AT factor. The Melta cannon can also help against TEQs, but largely you'll use the knight for AT. I'd even throw the S8 missile pod on the back (though technically you have to house rule it).

As for house choices, I'd go with a do it yourself house :)

The Knight you want to choose will depend on what kind of Night Lords list you're running.

As far as where it could belong, we don't know too much about what Knight Houses operated alongside the Night Lords. You're free to invent your own! Or run Freeblades from any of the existing Houses that have a color scheme that you like. We do know the Legio Ulricon and both Vulcanum Legios operated alongside the NL though, and that Knights that have sworn themselves to Titan Legios wear the Legio's color scheme inverted to show fealty. ....but then again we have no idea what the Legio Ulricon colors are, so. Vulcanum is black/dark green I think.

Back to tactics, I'll put forward the Lancer as probably the most obvious choice for Uhlan. It can make decent use of Hit and Run with its Lance. The Atrapos makes sense in the role too, since it's already tough as nails and the hit to frontal AV isn't as big a deal for it.

I'd go for the knight errant. NLs are kings of anti infantry, but lack a strong or redundant AT factor. The Melta cannon can also help against TEQs, but largely you'll use the knight for AT. I'd even throw the S8 missile pod on the back (though technically you have to house rule it).

As for house choices, I'd go with a do it yourself house :)

This is exactly the type of information I was looking for. Thank you both so much

Errant isn't that great at AT, it's only one shot. Deal with armour by giving it the D.

An Acheron could also potentially make an Ok Uhlan. Sure it limits the range of his Hellstorm Template, but being able to Flame, Charge, Hit And Run, Flame, Charge will clear pretty much any blob real quick.

Uhlan rules have no effect on the template, it does not have a range that can be reduced.

Errant isn't that great at AT, it's only one shot. Deal with armour by giving it the D.

Uhlan rules have no effect on the template, it does not have a range that can be reduced.

Huh, well Nevermind me then. Awesome, makes him an even better candidate.

I thought he said only GW Knights :P

I thought he said only GW Knights :P

I did! Reason being....I'd like my FW budget to be for a new Fire Raptor

Archived