Exodus - Assassin's shot

rendingon1+

Can characters make Look Out, Sir attempt vs Assassin's Shot wounds?

Assassin' Shot allows Exodus to allocte hits to any model he likes on 4+. Look Out, Sir allows character to transfer any wound allocated to him to another model. Wound not hit. So basically even when I was lucky and my chosen target got let's say, 4 unsaved wounds from Rapid Shot  he can still LO'D them.

Am I correct? (hope not)

No they can't.

"...may choose choose which model in an enemy unit is hit rather than following the usual procedure for assigning hits and saves, so long as the chosen model is within line of sight"

What is the usual procedure for assigning hits and saves? Its the one where the closest model is assigned the wound and may LoS if it is a character.

This is even more clear when you compare it to the Precision Shot rule;

"Wounds from Precision Shots are allocated against a model (or models) of your choice in the target unit, as long as it is in range and line of sight of the firer, rather than following the normal rules for Wound allocation. A character that has a Precision Shot Wound allocated to it can still make a Look Out, Sir roll"

The rules are extremely similar, but the latter has an explicit permission for LoS rolls

• 1 month later...

They most certainly can test for LoS against him.

He assigns the hit (assuming he hits) but LoS applies to wounds and nothing in his rules stops that.

He ignores the normal procedure for assigning hits (which is a moot point since you roll to hit units not models) and for assigning saves (which takes place AFTER wound rolls.

So it goes something like...

Roll to hit

Allocate hit

Roll to wound

Look out Sir

Roll Save

Have to agree with Massaen on this one. You don't use him to take out praetors - use him to take out special weapons or sergeants with the worse LoS rolls.

And apothecarys. They lack Independant Character as so only receive a 4+ los. It makes them fair game for sniper weapons.

So... which one is correct? I believe SkimaskMohawk has a point - exodus "assassin's shots" are not the same as precision shots (like above mentioned vindicare) and they do not follow standard shooting procedure.

Not to mention that he would be totally useless.

The rules are very clear as I said - nothing stops his shots being LoS as its done on wounds. All precision shots can be LoS and his is no different.

The Vindicare has a penalty to LoS of his targets but it can still be done.

As a couple of others have pointed out - Exodus is best used to kill non independent characters, special and heavy weapon troopers, vexilla and vox carriers and so on.

The rule is none functional. Absolutely and utterly non functional with the 7th edition ruling. Allocating which model is hit has no context, as wounds are allocated after suffering wounds, and saves are resolved then.

The rule needs rewording to even mesh with the basic rules available.

RAW in general is nonsense and gibberish. Doubly so in FW books, expressly so in this entry

Normally, assign hits, roll to wound, allocate to pool, and are assigned as normal.

Exodus chooses who he hits, but then the roll to wound goes into a pool which is then assigned. You don't assign saves so that bit is irrelevant.

Possibly RAI, but certainly RACSD; Exodus' shooting attacks are automatically considered to be Precision Shots if they hit.

An argument can also be put forward that it ignores Look Out, Sir due to the wording of allocating saves (which is a word which means nothing, saves aren't allocated, unsaved wounds are).

Someone needs to email Forgeworld on this. So we can get a non answer then argue about it more :D

But really I'd just avoid using him until it's clarified OR if you have a group speak to them first and come to an agreement.

Personally, it says he chooses who he hits, so you are rolling to wound them. RAI.

Archived