Starting Up Astra Militarum

Lunar Centurion

Hi! I've been looking to start up AM for a while now, but was on the fence. I was thinking to buy a Cadian Defense Force, 2 Tempestus squads (To be fielded as Vets), a Wyvern, and the codex. Is that a good starting point for a fluffy Guard army? And how many points would that be? 

Yeah, it's not much.

The Cadian Defense force includes a Russ, Chimera, 2 infantry squads (20 troopers, which I assume you would also use as vets), 3 heavy weapon squads (6 troopers), 2 tempestus squads (which you note you would run as 2 vet squads with 10 troopers each) and a company command squad (5 troopers).  When you toss in a wyvern, you're looking at 56 troopers and 3 tanks and that would run you 650-ish points barebones and maybe to 850-ish to 950-ish points after you've added upgrades (depending on what special weapons you took, which Russ variant you took, etc.). 

While that's not a lot of points, we all had to start somewhere! 

When starting out, it's best to pick a direction and focus on acquiring the models needed to field a decent army of the chosen flavor.  The thing is, IG can do many things well...what IG does not  do well is open the cupboard and just throw whatever falls out onto the table and call it an army.  With the models mentioned, you're set to start a foot infantry style army.  

I wouldn't bother with the wyvern unless you get two of them.  One isn't quite fearsome and is pretty easily killed (especially in an army list with only a few vehicles), two is enough to obliterate a unit of light infantry and put serious pain on even space marines, and three is just overkill, a waste of points.

The leman russ in the battleforce is a nice start on a tank collection.  If I only had one or two tanks, I would make them long-range ones, like the basic leman russ, and keep them in back where it's relatively safe.  Only when you have enough of them to saturate an enemy's limited ability to kill AV14 is it smart to branch out into the close-range ones like demolisher, punisher, and eradicator.  Almost any enemy is going to be able to handle 1-2 AV14 threats, and there's no sense in making it easy for them by pushing them into close range.  When you get to the point where you're fielding say maybe six AV14 vehicles, then it gets interesting.  Does the enemy deepstrike his meltaguns in your backfield to kill the long range tanks, or deepstrike them in his own half of the board (where he could have just walked into range, lol) to kill the deadlier ones that are in his face.  If he deals with the closer, more threatening problem, he pretty much gives up any chance of ever killing the ones in your deployment zone.  On the other hand, he'll get hurt badly if he kills the deep threat, but he then still has a chance of killing the close threat with melee, krak grenades, or whatnot.  But that's for the future, for now, you want to maximize the survival of your only proper tank by keeping it at long range.  The standard leman russ is a great jack of all trades.

The chimera...you'll want more of these, eventually.  Relatively cheap, superscoring, two heavy weapons, AV12 on the front, what's not to like?  I have 223 infantry in my IG collection, and I usually field about 30...three squads of mechanized veterans...only the vets deploy on the ground to shoot a BS4 autocannon while the empty chimeras are my mobile objective-grabbers.  For now, since you only have one, I'd make it a command vehicle.  Put a company command squad inside because the range of the commander's orders is measured from the hull (which is a lot bigger than a 25mm round base!), giving him a bigger orders bubble.  Take advantage of the command squad's BS4 and give them two weapons to fire from the hatch, either a pair of plasma guns or a lascannon/autocannon and a plasma gun.  The autocannon would match strength with the plasma gun and focus on killing light vehicles, while the lascannon would match AP with the plasma gun and excel at punching proper tanks (without the help of the plasma gun) and heavy infantry, like terminators (with the plasma gun).  Back in the day, lascannon and plasma gun was the preferred loadout of a space marine tactical squad, and it's pretty good today for command squads and veteran squads.

I would decide now if you want to focus on the horde of dismounted infantry, or whether you want to go mechanized infantry, that's the biggest question.  One will lead you to get more men, the other will have you decide now that you have plenty, and focus on getting chimeras for the ones you already have.  Either way, you're going to want more tanks.

March10k pretty much covered everything. While the box isn't a ton of points, it's still a pretty good bundle that will enable you to decide what kind of Imperial Guard force to assemble. 

http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/3/2055/FromTheHeart.jpg

The best way to get up to a competition-level points total quickly is to go with mechanized infantry, and lots of it. I usually run 3 squads of vets all in chimeras, with the vets having carapace armor and lots of AP2, 4 or so LR's (mix of variants), command squad with a master of ordinance for another pie plate, one infantry platoon with heavy weapons to lay down fire and hold objectives, a wyvren, a valkyrie, and a command squad to bellow orders! (orders rock)

Thats a lot of stuff to buy, so for now I definitely endorse buying the box and the codex, but I would forego the wvyren and one of those tempestus squads in favor of another leman russ or a valkyrie! 

Welcome to the Imperial Guard soldier. May you serve the Emperor of Mankind bravely. 

Yeah that's a good start, you need troops to form a core to a list but as march says that's the foundation for you to build upon :) It depends on the type of army you'd like to build of course but my recommendation would also be to look at adding armour. Have you devised a colour scheme or thought about a bit of fluff for your army yet?

I was thinking white plates, orange lenses, and dark gray fatigues. The tanks will be white, with gray highlights where it looks good. Is a Lord Commissar a viable HQ? I was thinking more along the lines of mechanized infantry, with some Tempestus air cavalry. But is what I mentioned earlier a good start?

Sounds like a good scheme, white can be a bit of work but looks great. The Lord Commissar is viable, but he's not a stand out choice sadly so doesn't add that much more over a standard commissar. Your OP suggestions are a good start yes, that will form a nice core to build upon :)

Archived