The Hydra Unchained - Stonehearts Horus Heresy log

Stoneheart

Much has been said of our Legion.

They call our methods devious.

They call our methods overcomplicated.

They call our methods cowardly.

They scorn us.

They know nothing.

They have no idea what we are capable of, because none survive to tell of it.

They fear the unknown, and they believe their bombast hides their fear.

Our methods are devious to them, because we succeed where they could not.

Our methods are overcomplicated to them, because they cannot understand our great purpose.

Our methods are cowardly to them, because they cling to their outdated dogma like a crumbling rock in a stormy sea.

We are the eyes that stare back from the depths.

We are the talons that drag the foolhardy beneath the waves.

We are the fangs that deliver the final punishment for their arrogance.

And now the chains that bound us are broken.

We are Alpharius.

We are Legion.

We are your End.

The time has come (nearly). The advent of the new HH starter box means that, at last, I can afford to have a crack at some Heresy-era marines.

Here's the plan. My legion force will be a 'harrowing' force, starting out small using the box set contents with some additional FW goodies. It will purposefully be HQ heavy, echoing the many heads of the Hydra, and will be using a basic Age of Darkness FOC for the meantime. 

Picked up Autilon Skorr and the Alpha legion upgrade kit at the 40k open day, but won't be using Autilon's rules - the bits will be used appropriately for my trio of legion heroes! 

I won't be able to start this till after Christmas, so I hope you'll forgive me for my excitement in getting this started early! 

But for now...

"Brother!" The drake rumbled, the Mk III helm rendering his voice in harsh metallic tones. Captain Pel'kor was not familiar with the Alpha Legion beyond their combat record, which made for a disturbing read, but he was grateful to see the display of Astartes might before him. Pel'kor and the remnants of his command had become separated from the rest of the Legion and had at last rendezvoused with their replacements. A company of the XXth Legion, fresh and ready to take the fight to the traitors whilst the Salamanders replenished and repaired.

Pel'kor had not thought about the ramifications of this fight since before the Drop. He had fought in Vulkan's name for half a standard century and had heard the stories about the two legions that had been wiped from all records. Maybe, after this, there would be another four struck from the roster. The consequences did not bear thinking of. 

Enough. Fight now, think later. 

Strange how Vulkan's teachings were so quickly dropped out of the airlock when it came to civil war.

Shaking himself from these morose thoughts, he focused on the lone Alpha Legionnaire that stood atop the ridge that Pel'kor and his men were about to finish climbing. Clad in minimally decorated MkIV plate the colour of the deepest ocean, the warrior stood and watched impassively, his gauntleted hands resting on an enormous, elegantly crafted axe. Almost silhouetted against the wan light of Istvaan V's smoke-choked sky, the fiery glare of his eye lenses was all that could be made out of his visage.

"Hail, son of Alpharius," Pel'kor called again. He gestured to his ragged company. Each of them bore the scars of the last three hours fighting. Beneath the fierce visage of their helms, he knew that the wounds done to their psyches would take a long time to heal. "A bloody day."

The Legionnaire remained silent for several seconds.

"Not yet." He finally uttered.  

Disappointed at not seeing any pictures, but excited to see what will pop up later down the road smile.png

The pictures are classified... ;)

I do have an Autilon conversion to work on so I'll get pictures of that up ASAP - hopefully tonight!

Thank you for the encouraging comments guys, hopefully this will keep you going while I save up for the HH boxed set. 

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/Alpha%20legion%20WIP%20_zpsmpyso3er.jpg

Apologies for the cameraphone quality....

Plan with this chappy is to add a sternguard sheathed powersword arm and of course, the usual giant pauldrons. I like everything on the Autilon Skorr model except the head, which is....just weird. Fortunately FW make the lovely alpha legion heads, one of which is on show here. Autilon's mighty axe will be used for a Legion champion model eventually. 

I've gone for a non-metallic scheme as quite frankly the metallic airbrush schemes are way too complicated for my old fashioned ways! 

Night Lord fans may...or may not...appreciate the blown-out mk V helm on the floor at the Praetor's feet :P Did the Praetor do this? Is he a traitor amongst traitors? Or does he just happen to be standing beside it? Who knows, that's the fun! 

I shall now melt, like a phantom, into the night....

Thanks for looking! :)

Stoneheart 

Thank you for the encouraging comments guys, hopefully this will keep you going while I save up for the HH boxed set.

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/Alpha%20legion%20WIP%20_zpsmpyso3er.jpg

Apologies for the cameraphone quality....

Plan with this chappy is to add a sternguard sheathed powersword arm and of course, the usual giant pauldrons. I like everything on the Autilon Skorr model except the head, which is....just weird. Fortunately FW make the lovely alpha legion heads, one of which is on show here. Autilon's mighty axe will be used for a Legion champion model eventually.

I've gone for a non-metallic scheme as quite frankly the metallic airbrush schemes are way too complicated for my old fashioned ways!

Night Lord fans may...or may not...appreciate the blown-out mk V helm on the floor at the Praetor's feet tongue.png Did the Praetor do this? Is he a traitor amongst traitors? Or does he just happen to be standing beside it? Who knows, that's the fun!

I shall now melt, like a phantom, into the night....

Thanks for looking! smile.png

Stoneheart

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Skorr's head is just bizarre, looks great with a more normal helm. I'll be watching this thread closely as I prepare to join the XX myself!

Cheers guys! The Alpha legion upgrade kits are indeed a delight. 

Main colour is stegadon scale green with highlights of sotek green, temple guard blue and skink blue. Also used coelia greenshade for washes. 

Just received the bits order I made - got this lovely thing along with some special ammunition bandoliers to represent banestrike ammo (images from google). 

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/RWAAAOSw9N1VgPeS/$_35.JPGhttp://www.bitzstore.com/1555-1788-large/space-marine-ammo-c.jpg

Pictures when they're done! 

@Dosjetka - ha ha, very good :P Suppose the basing is appropriate really! 

Cheers! 

Stoneheart 

Shots fired.

I see how it is!

Love the AL thus far though. Everyone doing them seems very creative and this is no exception, keep it up!

+The owner of that helm was a monster even before he was plucked from the cesspit that was your homeworld, and now his crimes have finally been punished. Does such justice not please you, son of Curze?+

;) Many thanks brother.

Very very nice....i love not so metallic alphas.....definitely following this thread

Many thanks betrayer41. 

Almost finished the praetor now, to all intents and purposes! Need some transfers to finish the last shoulder pad. Sorry for the phone camera quality particularly on the middle shot. Hoping to get a new phone in the new year!

Dario Krastor stood back, aiming his volkite serpenta at the dying form of the Salamander lord. The calm after the furious storm of bolt shells and plasma blasts was eerie. Only the distant rumble of the greater battle could be heard, and the ever present wind that scoured Istvaan V's grim surface. The company had taken no casualties in the brief, one sided firefight, and were variously dispatching wounded Salamanders, standing sentry or attending to their weapons.

"Why?" Dario's green-armoured counterpart choked. Dark Astartes blood formed an ever expanding pool around the stricken warrior. 

In reply, Dario's serpenta flashed once. White hot flames erupted from the joints in the Salamander's armour as he was immolated. Dario looked up from the smouldering corpse and saw several of his Legionnaires staring at him. Nothing was said. No words could adequately frame their deeds this day in any case, and the Alpha Legion were nothing if not taciturn. 

There's no going back now, was the message in every Legionnaire's body language

Eventually, Dario tore his eyes from his brothers, holstered his serpenta, shouldered his great axe and marched back up the ridge to his company's awaiting transports. Six Storm Eagle troop transports powered up on sighting him, the roar of their engines banishing the quiet that had descended. 

"How was it, Krastor?" 

Lissos, the company communications expert, stood at the embarkation hatch of the lead Storm Eagle. 

"As you might expect, Lissos," Dario voxed as he boarded, the rest of the company swiftly following suite, filing aboard twenty per drop ship. "The Primarch will ask much of us in the coming war. This was just the start."

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/Picture1_zpsyamyltgd.jpg

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/Picture3_zpsasbq98ip.jpg

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah272/salamander8681/Picture2_zpsjtku9tm9.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

Stoneheart

Thanks Col.hertford, I just hope you don't pick up any bad habits msn-wink.gif

Speaking of which, I'm hoping to make these a bit weathered, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for weathering dark armour?

My efforts so far have basically to stipple on pale blue, then black, then a bit of silver, so the effect isn't very neat but it's quick. I've also dry brushed some of the base brown colour onto his greaves, and some BFTBG on selected bits of armour.

Just realised how much this Praetor looks like a womble with that mk 6 helm haha!

tobermory-womble.jpg

Archived