The Omnissiah demands that you jam!

Time to revisit the Electro Priests! Fetch your rave sticks, put the volume up to maximum and listen up, for the Omnissiah demands that you jam!

Now, I am not claiming that the Priests are some kind of sleeper hit or that they will break the meta. No, they are still a tad too expensive, slow and fragile for that. However, they are not as useless as I first thought and definitely worth considering in certain match-ups.

To assess their use, let us first divide the potential opponents into two groups. Manly and Long-ranged. The long-ranged variants like IG, Scatterspam and Tau will usually turn the EP into dust due to easy access to S6+ at 30" and higher. In those match-ups these guys have very limited use.

However, consider the more aggressive approach. Most SM builds, including Drop Pods, melee builds like TWC or KDK. Consider Green Tide or even Ork Mech. Consider Harlies or Dark Eldar. Consider Necrons.

The one thing those armies have in common is that they like and need to get close to you. Marines do mostly use Bolters, which need to be within 12" to do the most damage, or Grav, which the EP do not really care about due to being naked. Necron output is generally lacking. They also need to get within 12" or even melee.

So, how to EP work here? Simple, as a counter-assault unit. All those armies I mentioned lack S6 spam. which means the EP will get 5++ and FnP at the very least, possibly even better due to cover, which basically amounts to a 3+ save or better when taken together.

So they will survive the alpha strike. After that, they can easily engage the units. 5 shooty EP will win against 5 Khorne Dogs. 10 shooty EP will wreck 10 SM, even 3 Cents. A decent amount of EP will put a lot of hurt onto a Green Tide.

I tried some scenarios out and ran some numbers in others. They do make a pretty solid counter-assault unit against aggressive builds. The problem is that most competitive lists are either long-ranged or extremely mobility-based these days, so these guys will not see much play time if you primarily face high end builds. However, if you face a more aggressive army, go get them. You will be pleasantly surprised. They are definitely fun to use, especially when the opponent needs to triple check the 100 dice you just threw at him.

I also want to mention Zone Mortalis. I realize that most do not have access to it, but I tried in that setting. With enough corridors to hide behind, these guys can work really well.

So there you go. Not your choice against competitive builds, but not as useless as I first thought. I hope there are still some AdMech players left to benefit from this experience ;)

I love Corpuscarii however i feel that having a transport is crucial, so I usually ally Iron Hands in for a land raider crusader. They hit really hard when you combine shooting, litany of the electromancer, hammer of wraths, AND regular attacks. The fact they have zealot only sweetens the deal. If they were 50% cheaper, I'd happily run them across the board on foot. Unfortunately they are too weak to survive and to expensive to risk :(

I love Corpuscarii however i feel that having a transport is crucial, so I usually ally Iron Hands in for a land raider crusader. They hit really hard when you combine shooting, litany of the electromancer, hammer of wraths, AND regular attacks. The fact they have zealot only sweetens the deal. If they were 50% cheaper, I'd happily run them across the board on foot. Unfortunately they are too weak to survive and to expensive to risk :(

I hear ya. If they were cheaper they would be decent against long-ranged match-ups. As it stands, without transports, they are decent against enemies that do not spam S6 and come to you. Still a big part if 40k.

I really think they'd be pretty good with +1 toughness and/or haywire. That way they always get 5++/FNP (or against )most weapons atleast.)

That said they aren't too bad if you put em in a rhini. They help other cult stuff get strong canticles.

Archived