7th edition, Tau, AM, and Rage

Guardsman1275

After a quick look at the new Tau rules, it seems like the Tau have made Guard obsolete. While I love the guard and will still play them it seems like get outdone by another faction in everything that makes them unique. They have smaller numbers than Orcs and Nids, worse shooting than Tau or Necrons, and Skitarii can do better with vehicle spam. Since all the 7th edition books seem to be better than the current AM book. I know there are worse books (Nids and non khorne chaos) but I feel like the AM need a buff to reach the level of the other books. 

From what I can gather from the 7th edition books is that GW is making the books more fluffy, with tau now having insane shooting and great technology, Blood Angels having worse shooting but being better in CC, and Necrons being a totally untoppable force that no force can counter. I am waiting to see what AM gets in their codex, hopefully a decurion detachment and chapter tactics for different regiments.

The Imperial Guard are far from obsolete. Just because we have to work harder to win makes victory that much sweeter biggrin.png. We're not one of those armies that get placed at the automatic "top-tier" of Codices. Why? Because it takes skill to play the Guard.

So the Tau got some new suits. We have tanks. They have a really big scary thing! Let me hear those Earthshaker Cannons roar, lads happy.png! His chariot lord thing is coming up fast- what do I do? Hit him with a Demolisher Cannon (true story)!

It isn't about who has the best Codex. It's about tactics, positioning, and knowing your army. Also, you know, good dice rolls. Having some new, shiny book with new toys and new point costs can't save you from bad playing.

I experience this somewhat less because I always go for an allied combo. I even am painting my differing armies in the same scheme, to show they are under a unified command. When you're bringing an army to fulfill a role in a larger scheme of things, they perform quite efficiently msn-wink.gif

Even so, I still think Guard can be a tough contender, just so long as the Ghostkeel can be managed.

While Tau may have all the counters to Guard (lolreararmourignorescover), that doesn't mean your opponent will bring the perfect list to beat you. I know in my head scenarios the opponent always has an edge because he knows just what I'm going to bring.

​What is the WORST list a Tau player can bring against your list?
​What is the best?

​How can you change your list to counter his filth?

​How many Tau players do face regularly? I have none...

Tau have made Guard obsolete.

gallery_30308_3239_11867.png

It's just the standard new codex syndrome. What better way to sell new toys than making them good? Doesn't help that GW can fluff their lines with codices and make the balance go off. Our codex is getting long in the tooth so a difference in capability is to be expected, and while we can't know if GW will do us justice that doesn't help us for now.

So what to do? First as Emicus said you need to learn your hated foe. What he likes and what he doesn't, and for the weedy and cowardly blue xenos I expect that hasn't changed from the last codex (and one before that...). Numbers and fire power is our strength, leverage that to its maximum as Meh said. Maybe the fish faces can breath underwater, but they will drown in dice! We are the Emperor's Hammer, no amount of technology or fancy guns will help when it drops - when in doubt get your big guns out!

We don't need to get into slugging matches, though we can and should do well in such a competition (numbers and fire power, repeat the mantra!) we also have our own tricks. Send some Scions in where their cover means nothing, or some Sentinels to flank their lines and stomp on their ugly heads. Don't get boxed into a corner, the more trouble you're finding with an opponent the less you have to lose from experimenting :)

I know but I need one list to counter all of the best seventh edition armies, I think that steel host can do that best, but If you can think of a 1500 point list that can do that better I would appreciate your suggestions, BTW I have a game with all of those people next weekend which is why I brought it up

My own approach tends more towards Horde guard and less towards Mech. Grunts don't care if you have d weapons, or trishot plasma, or grav, or any of that gooey cheese. Tau, regretfully, have the best weapons to counter hordes. You could try going psyker heavy, I suppose. I think Steel host, with inquisition/CAD backup might be your best bet. 

I am also making a flesh tearers list to counter the tau and necrons

Combining the two could be very interesting. I've been playing BA for a long time and am currently putting together my first AM army. While I buy, build and paint new models, I'm going to be using the BA as allies until I have a larger amount of points ready for the table. The two go well together, attending to the gaps in each codex quite nicely, I've found.

I am going to take the flesh tearers in a seperate list to get the full effect out of their special detachments

I really hope that our update is better than the orks, because horde armies are looking none too good right now, with orks, tyranids, and AM all needing a buff.

I agree that psykers will perform better against tau as they lack in that phase. Senior officer orders might not match up the best against marker lights, but they are still good. It's a bad feeling when an opposing army does what you're supposed to do well, but better. In such a case try not to play his game--play to board control or objective denial. A lot of their benefits (much like the guard) require stacking bonuses from units in fairly close proximity, which usually don't travel fast. 

In the worst case scenario--you just can't win despite your best efforts--use the game as a learning experience. Focus on unorthodox and creative tactics, try things you normally wouldn't. You might see value in units that otherwise wouldn't be apparent. Good luck out there.

I know you've probably already decided, but as a Black Templar/Imperial Guard player let me echo the suggestion to take Flesh Tearers as allies. Forcing the Tau to shoot at your more durable marines or face truly bloodthirsty (or in my case Zealous!) assault means that your shooting just became far, far more effective. 

Archived