Paint Scheme

Guardsman

I've been playing around with the imperial guard painter to try and get my scheme right before i paint.

This is what ive come up with so far. Im looking for a 49ers american football kind of colours.

Are there any pitfalls or issues you can think of with the colours Ive chosen?

igbeta2.php?b62c=@hXbsb_hN5Al.h1VNSi8TzJ@@_iakk7haLvyhyvFn@@@i5kju@@@__.i5kjui8TzJ..hFZ83&

Red and yellow are quite bright so not your usual Guard scheme. I'd look at differentiating the armour from the torso fatigues, perhaps a darker red? A shoulder pad (or both) is also a great way to add some more colour in so maybe adding something there could also work? For example a different left shoulder colour to put the regimental number on? White might be a good colour to complement the existing ones too, though not on the left pad unless you're happy free handing as the GW Guard transfers are all white!

Have you thought about a camouflage aspect or how you will do vehicles? Red vehicles would look cool, especially with a couple of shades of red on for a scheme - perhaps something AdMech/martian camo style?

The yellow colour is a pale gold but yes appreciate its not exactly standard!

If I was sticking to the theme, the only real way to keep it accurate would be to put 3 white stripes on the shoulder pads, not sure if my painting is up to that, and previous painting of white has never turned out how i wanted it to! 

I like the idea of martian camo style thats quite cool. Ive never painted camo before, is it completely random or is there an art to it?

Given how you have split in color, i think youll have an easy time painting them. Can base coat that quickly enough hit it with a wash and a dry brush and youre done.

Do Zandri dust for the "gold", hit it with a sepia wash. Has a gold feel, but still a drab look.

My question though, are you doing the top and the armor the same? You loose some detail there since theres no contrast between the two.

Given how you have split in color, i think youll have an easy time painting them. Can base coat that quickly enough hit it with a wash and a dry brush and youre done.

Do Zandri dust for the "gold", hit it with a sepia wash. Has a gold feel, but still a drab look.

My question though, are you doing the top and the armor the same? You loose some detail there since theres no contrast between the two.

I was just thinking about how I could amend that some how?

If i washed the red, then painted and highlighted the armor plates would that be enough distinction?

Or should I just go for two different reds? Id really prefer not to add another colour  that isnt red or 'gold' if possible

That would be different enough, washing and highlighting different surfaces (folds of the fabric vs smooth armour) gives quite a different look. Depends on the wash you use too. I'd still use a different red on the armour though, a couple of the GW reds are quite similar so it wouldn't be too different.

As to camo schemes it's all about the colours first, pattern second. The Mars type schemes have a couple of reds with some grey or black typically but you can vary it somewhat. I think jagged patterns look nice but it could be anything. There is an art to it, but the type depends on your scheme - wither the art of making them uniform or the art of making them random ;)

Rather than run with classics 49ers red, which makes differentiation of the armour and the tunic difficult. Use the alternative white uniform as a base idea. Keep the pants and helmet and armour as is, and paint the tunic white. It will contrast the other colous nicely.

edit: or paint the armour gold too, if you don't want to use more than two main colours.

Archived