Titan book confusion

For some months now I have been making lists of books to get from FW on Titans. Now that I have a list, I'm confused over which one(s) to get. Do I need to purchase both the Imperial Armor - Apoc book and the HH: Tempest book for the stats or will just one of them do?

CG

All of the current Imperium Titans have stats in Tempest and the Mechanicum Red Book, which differ from the 6th Edition Apocalypse book.  There's bound to be some contention on this, but I would just use the Tempest/MRB rules for all of them.

My reasoning is that GW published a Knight/Titan formation in Blood Oath that includes five Knights and either a Reaver or a Warlord.  The only stats for the Warlord are in Tempest and MRB, so that means that its rules must be OK for use in 40K.  It doesn't make sense to use the Tempest stats for the Warlord but ignore the Tempest stats for the Reaver, so I would apply Tempest to the other Titans as well.  Now, looking at that formation it's obvious that the Warlord was shoehorned in at the last minute - but it's there nonetheless.

The rules in Tempest are much improved, and more reminiscent of the original Apocalypse treatment of Titans - unable to be locked in combat, immune to certain weapon types, etc.  It makes them quite a bit tougher, yes, but also more "realistic".  I never understood how grots could tarpit a Reaver.

To be honest, when you start talking about bringing Titans to games you're already far into narrative territory rather than competitive.  It's best to talk it over with your opponent and come to an amicable conclusion.

Archived