Only in death does duty end

Daemon2027

Thanks, I know the pic isn't great, he's basically a test model.

This is how I did the mud. Before painting I based the model with some sand. As it was a larger base I used GS to make an uneven base and to sink the model into. I done the same on the other models in the quartermaster kit, and will do for larger bases and the special models but not for your ordinary guardsmen.

I painted the base rhinox hide, and drybrushed gorthor brown.

I then mixed up the mud. I mixed Wet Mud and Light Earth weathering powders with a little realistic water and some smashed glass (careful with this stuff you don't want to breath it in or get it on you) it goes a little clumpy so I used some water(real water not water effect) to apply on the base and anywhere I wanted the wet mud. I then used the same weather powder mixed with water to make the wet mud effect on the model, so where he had been dragging his body along.

When it dried I used Dry mud and light earth weather powders mixed with a little water to create the dry mud, and used a bit of this to apply to the model where I wanted dried mud.

To make the muddy puddle I just carefully added realistic water, let it dry then add it again. The more you add the more watery it will be. On larger bases I'll probally model in little creators and tank treads to fill with water.

Was a lot of fun to do.

Yeah it was a waste doing just one model but now I know. Tbh with the cost of the models I don't mind going the extra mile to paint them.

You could use sand instead of the glass, but I would recomend fine sand as it would clump a lot. Also depending what sort of mud you want you can change the weathering powders, I was going for an area that was mostly dry with some area or wetter mud from previous rain.

Archived