Death Korps Leman Russ Conqueror role?

Truesight

So I just noticed in IA V5: 2nd Ed, the Siege Regiment Death Korps gets a different variation of the Conqueror Russ.

It changes the original, which was 150 points for a fast tank with a heavy 1 small blast s7 AP4 gun, to a 115 points fast tank with a S8 AP3 Heavy 1 main gun, with a free coaxial storm bolter to twin link it.

This makes it very viable in my opinion.  It has the same speed as a hellhound, but 10 points cheaper and on a Russ hull.

I'm trying to think of how to use it.  Being fast it can move 24 inches a turn to zoom around the board, so I figured loading up on flamers might be an idea, but since it can only fire two weapons when moving 12 inches, I think just a stock Conqueror with hull flamer might be best.

It could tank shock infantry units and flame them/ blast them to death when they are clumped up.  Heck, a couple of these stand an ok chance of crunching a unit with a good set up, and with AV 14 death or glories will be difficult.

Another option could be a ranged variant, using a sponson plasma cannons, hull heavy bolter Conqueror.  Twin linked s8 AP3 blast, 2 plasma blasts and heavy bolter shots for 5 points less than a battle tank, with the option to move 12 and fire two of those blasts. 

What do you think fellow commanders?

The only limitation I can see in the rules is that a tank shocking vehicle cannot flat out in the shooting phase.  If it rams however it may only snap shot, but that doesn't apply to tank shocking infantry.

I'd rather have a normal Russ, a pie plate of S8 AP3 is many times better than a single shot even on a Fast vehicle. I don't have my rule book to hand but best to quote rule names and pages to help people see what you're mentioning, that way the answer can be found easier :)

I have been pondering the use of the Conqueror, to be well... A 'Conqueror' and rush to grab objectives, 24" move.. and Tankshock to push others off Objectives when needed, Not worried about what guns it has, just being a AV14 Box that can add mobility to my gunline.

Edit: IA:13 Renigades also get the Fast Version as well.  

Archived