Laser Vindis: worth it?

Plasma-freak

Aye, it taking up a heavy slot by itself is so Damn annoying. But it truly is the master of PEW.

Pew, Choom, Voosh, and Dakka - the sacred quartet of war!

You forgot RNNNNNNGNGNGNGNGNGNGNNGGNNNGGG for the chainsword tongue.png

Too true, too true. Pew, Choom, Voosh, Dakka, and Rnnnnnng!

But... what does the GRAV say?! cool.png

"Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!

Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!

Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!"

Aye, it taking up a heavy slot by itself is so Damn annoying. But it truly is the master of PEW.

Pew, Choom, Voosh, and Dakka - the sacred quartet of war!

You forgot RNNNNNNGNGNGNGNGNGNGNNGGNNNGGG for the chainsword tongue.png

Too true, too true. Pew, Choom, Voosh, Dakka, and Rnnnnnng!

But... what does the GRAV say?! cool.png

"Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!

Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!

Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!"

You kid, but it was such a curious thing, Polish guys actually made it a song when gravs came out:

http://w109.wrzuta.pl/audio/2PANY5GD72x/jak_robi_grav_gun_v2_uber_xp_2013_lol_1

:v

Please excuse my ignorance but why volkite weapons are: "choom"?

Because Olis and the rest of the Martian Death Ray Club say so.

There's a quote from ADB in that thread where he says he's making volkite go choose in his next book, much like he made lascannons go freem

Hm. In "Templar" audiobook one of the charcters (Hipocratia? is that correct?) had "a pair of chromed serpenta pistols". And when fired the sound was actually like: bzzzzzzzzzzzt :)

It appears there is a general assumption that Diemos Pattern Vindicators, or DPVs, are an auto include in legion lists. I shall contest this claim on the grounds that various legion strategies and tactics are so numerous as to immediately disprove the statement. I will refer to what I know: The Sons of Horus whose strategy relies upon hard hitting units striking exactly where they need to. The Diemos Pattern Vindicator fits into this strategy extremely well when included with Horus in a Black Reaving detachment thanks to its cost. But it lacks the necessary speed to maintain synergy with the rest of the army. 

I submit that a Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer is better suited for the task due to its speed and heavier armor. Outflanking into an enemy line will almost guarantee the enemy's undivided attention. Both the Venator and Diemos will receive this reaction, however the Venator remains effective while mobile unlike it's vindicator cousin. For the Sons of Horus, who excel at deploying many hard hitting units in a small space. What is your opponent going to shoot at when you've a minimum squad of Justaerin armed with chainfists teleporting next to his artillery, while a Venator Outflanks into range of his Typhon, which is also being targeted by a pair of Lightnings with Kraken Penatrator missiles?

An example list at 4000pts:

Damocles
Master of the signal
Centurion - Cataphractii Armor - Chain Fist - Combi Bolter
Justaerin Terminator Squad (3) x3 Chain Fists + Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Droppod
Justaerin Terminator Squad (3) x3 Chain Fists + Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Droppod
Reaver Attack Squad (10) x5 Chain Axe - x3 Power Weapon - x2 Flamer - 1 Handflamer - Meltabombs + Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Droppod 
Reaver Attack Squad (10) x5 Chain Axe - x3 Power Weapon - x2 Flamer - 1 Handflamer - Meltabombs + Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Droppod 
Terminator Squad - (10) x6 Thunder hammers - x4 Power Axe - x2 Plasma Blaster
Primaris Lightning Strike Fighter - x2 Twin-linked Autocannon - Battle Servitor Controls 
Primaris Lightning Strike Fighter - x2 Twin-linked Autocannon - Battle Servitor Controls 

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer - Armored Ceramite - Dozer Blade
Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer - Armored Ceramite - Dozer Blade
Horus The Warmaster 

Total: 4000pts

The list is far too mobile for a Diemos to maintain cohesion without reducing its effectiveness, and remaining static will obligate some support to remain nearby. This weakens the total assault and slows it down. Meanwhile, the Venator can stay near the dreadclaws and continue to unleash hate towards the foe. 

Not neccessarily, you can take machine spirit on on the vindi, enabling it to be able to redeploy within 12" and still fire at full bs. This can get you into some great positions.

It depends what type of army you are going for. But my personal experience with it is it hammers things all the time. And then im shooting at infantry after I have killed all the armour.

Also 4k is pretty much apoc territory.

Not neccessarily, you can take machine spirit on on the vindi, enabling it to be able to redeploy within 12" and still fire at full bs. This can get you into some great positions.

It depends what type of army you are going for. But my personal experience with it is it hammers things all the time. And then im shooting at infantry after I have killed all the armour.

I consider 2.5k and up standard 30k. Much of the negative opinion regarding various 30k units is specific to their points cost in 2k and lower points games. Yet it is clear the designers are encouraging their players to push for higher point games, hence the high point level of my list. Take a look for yourself. Even Justaerin become viable when deployed in large point games.

I consider 2.5k and up standard 30k. 

Yet the designers say 1750 is the minimum, so there's some disconnect here

I consider 2.5k and up standard 30k. 

Yet the designers say 1750 is the minimum, so there's some disconnect here

Its the Recommended Minimum. 

IIRC, the recommended standard for them is roughly in the 3k Range.

In LACAL it simply says 1750-3500, while in Tempest it repeats that and then adds that 2000-2500 takes around 2-3 hours, so we can use that as the standard. Calling anything above 2500 the "standard" of 3k is far too broad of a statement, while his 4k list passes the devs FOC threshold and is solidly in Apoc territory where you're playing normal 40k again

his 4k list passes the devs FOC threshold and is solidly in Apoc territory where you're playing normal 40k again

It fits within a standard Age of Darkness Force Organization Chart. There are three headquarter units, six troop choices, one elite choice, three fast attack choices, two heavy support choices, and one lord of war.

I'm not really aboard the Deimos Vindicator hype train, either. If my meta actually calls for this weapon (so mainly AV13/14 vehicles without flare shields), I see little reason not to take laser destroyer rapiers instead. They are way more survivable and take a less precious slot.

I'm not really aboard the Deimos Vindicator hype train, either. If my meta actually calls for this weapon (so mainly AV13/14 vehicles without flare shields), I see little reason not to take laser destroyer rapiers instead. They are way more survivable and take a less precious slot.

Laser destroyer rapiers are a shorter range than the tank for starter, plus placement. 3 shots from one gun is better than 3 from 3 (some may not be able to see the target, also not mobile, short range and can be avoided) but if you prefee that, it's your choice

Anything over 2k/2.5k becomes rather unwieldy.

We're not talking about just playing the game, but unpacking and packing models, deployment and so on.

If I was stretching to 3k+ I'd be fielding Super Heavies or a Titan to keep model numbers down.

Archived