2500 Night lords

Soulshade

So the new plastics mean its time for a second legion! Im a Blood angels player, so Im drawn to their darker kin.

Right of War
Terror Assault

HQ
[17x]Sevatar

Troops
[270]10 Terrors - 10 Volkite Chargers, Headsman - Artificer Armour, Nostraman Chainglaive
[270]10 Terrors - 10 Volkite Chargers, Headsman - Artificer Armour, Nostraman Chainglaive

Elite
[410]10 Legion Terminators -  Cataphractii Armour, 4 Chainfists, 6 Power Fists, Teleportation Transponder

Fast Attack
[460]15 Night Raptors - 4 Nostraman Chainglaive, 3 Meltaguns, Huntmaster - Artificer Armour, Melta bomb, Nostraman Chainglaive.

Heavy Support
[210]Legion Fire Raptor -Autocannon Battery

Lord of War
[43x]Konrad Curze - Warlord,

Ok tactics

Deployment
Night fighting on a 2+ thanks to the RoW
Sevatar has issues deploying as he doesnt have infiltrate, only answer I can see is adding him to the Raptor squad until after deployment.
Curze also joins the raptors and they all deploy on the table. With Stealth, Shrouded, night fighting ect the whole squad have a 4+ cover save in the open.
Terror Squads Infiltrate. One unit close to the deployment line and the raptors so at the top of 1 Sevatar can swap units.

Turn 2
The terminators Deepstrike near to Sevatar (hopefully) and then wreck a few heavy tanks ( hopefully!)
Fire raptor comes on and kills light armour and some infantry.

Thoughts guys? Ive no tanks at all so a Typhoon will ruin my day as will most Knights... well until the chainfists get in.

It depends on whether you want fluffy or something that lay down some pain on the table.

Fluffy - keep it as it is, it's everything an VIII Legion list should be.

Game worthy - some changes.

Drop Sevatar or Curze, taking both at 2500 is a bit of a points sink. Personally I'd drop Sevatar. Curze gives you a lot more mileage within the RoW framework

Terror Squads are fine. Could possibly pod them but tbh with the right deployment you're good anyway.

Terminators. I really like the load out on them. The only thing you might struggle with is deployment. Teleport can be a risky affair especially with 10 of them but the only alternative is to drop them in a tooled up Spartan which you don't currently have the points for.

Night Raptors. Strip them down of everything except the huntmaster. When all is said and done these guys are really just a bulletshield for Konrad because he is going to attract an ungodly amount of firepower his way. He needs to stay alive. Vanilla raptors can cause carnage without being significantly tooled up through sheer weight of attacks. If anything I'd run an apothecary with them to give them a nice FNP bubble.

Fire Raptor is a decent enough should although you're going to struggle against any armour heavy lists but such is life, can't cover all the bases.

Hope that helps :)

Well if anyone has the guts to field an infantry heavy army against this list you should be able to mulch them.

The chainfists are a good idea for the terminators but I'm not 100% sure where Sev should fit.

Iirc Curze qualifies as jump infantry too so the raptors are a good fit, though I agree with Balthamal. With a primarch in the unit they're going to draw a TON of fire.

And I love fire raptors, they just seem so Night Lords-y I always include one too .

Double post :(

Or, if you want to be WHACKY AND CRAAAZY, attach a Jump Pack Vigilator with Void Shield Harness and get a free 12" (or is it 6"?) Scout move.

Yeah, 6" only. Still, not a bad idea! Though I like the Chaplain more from a gaming perspective, the Vigilator seems more Night Lordsy...

Oh, and Curze makes Night Fighting on turn 1 guaranteed, Soulshade. Make sure you check the "7th Edition FAQ and Errata" on the FW website as Night Lords got quite a boost from it!

Vigilator can also provide some SIA Sniper potshots on the way in and his Sabotage attack, while not the motlst powerful, should not be underestimated.

Helps that he has a free bolter so that he doesnt unbalance your list by AN INFURIATING 2 GODDAMN POINT RAAAAAGGHHHH OCD.

*ahem*

You could also give him scout armor to give the squad Move Through Cover. Infiltrare is lost since its not conferreed but its a thing you can do.

Thanks for the input guys! Appreciate it biggrin.png

Oh, and Curze makes Night Fighting on turn 1 guaranteed, Soulshade. Make sure you check the "7th Edition FAQ and Errata" on the FW website as Night Lords got quite a boost from it!

I thought because the Cover of Darkness rule says 'Night fighting imposed in this manner carries on...' that rolling the 2+ for cover of darkness means I can possibly have 3 turns of Night Fighting rather then just the automatic first turn Night Fighting I would get with Curze's rule. Or do they stack?

The list has been written for an escalation style campaign so I love the fact that its fluffly. I have very little idea when it comes to the Nightlords fluff apart from the Dark Angels gave em a kicking after the Heresy. So that was a bit of luck, I just happened to choose the minis I liked the look of mixed with the plastic set.

Ive written a 'harder' version of the list using the advice from above. There are a few guys at my local club who enjoy the more competitive play style.

Right of War

Terror Assault

HQ
[105]Primus Medicae - Jump pack

Troops
[260]10 Terrors - 10 Volkite Chargers, Headsman - Nostraman Chainglaive

Elite
[710]10 Legion Terminators - Cataphractii Armour, 4 Chainfists, 6 Power Fists, Spartan Assault Tank - Armoured Ceramite

Fast Attack

[260]10 Night Raptors - Huntmaster - Nostraman Chainglaive.

Heavy Support

Lord of War

Had to drop all the toys, Sevatar and 5 Raptors. With the points that are now free Ive got a Primus Medicae who will join the Raptor squad. Also got a Spartan for the terminator blob. Woould love a void shield but I just cant find the points for it.

Slight change to deployment. If the enemy has some large blast str D or equivalent weapon (Typhons, Felblades, Baneblades ect) Then Curze may join the terminator blob in the Spartan. The Raptors and Medicae would then deepstrike.

Thoughts guys?

Terror Assault used to impose Night Fighting on a 4+ on Turn 1, potentially continuing in Turn 2 and 3 . But with 7th Edition making it on a 4+ as a standard, they errata'd it to be 2+, 4+, 6+, and units with Legiones Astartes (Night Lords) gain +1 to Initiative and Run moves while it's in effect. :)

Curze's "Sire of the Night Lords" rule means Night Fighting is guaranteed on the 1st Turn regardless of the game. Terror Assault will continue Night Fighting in Turns 2 & 3 on a 4+ & 6+, so 3 turns is still possible (if unlikely). And technically, Curze can't go in a transport, as he's Jump Infantry. Seems a bit stupid though.

Read through that whole FAQ document as there's a lot of hidden content. Sevatar and Terror Squads gained the Night Fighting bonuses, Precision Strikes and Precision Shots. And as Slipstreams said, the Primus Medicae (and Librarian & Master of Signal) all became non-compulsory HQs.

Bah totally forgot about the support officer rule and for some reason thought that Jump Infantry only counted as bulky in Transports. Thats why I enjoy sharing lists like this. People can point out when your being a muppet tongue.png

Right 3rd times a charm.

Right of War

Terror Assault

HQ
[105]Chaplain - Trophies of Judgement, Nostraman Chainglaive

Troops

Elite
[710]10 Legion Terminators - Cataphractii Armour, 4 Chainfists, 6 Power Fists, Spartan Assault Tank - Armoured Ceramite

Fast Attack

[260]10 Night Raptors - Huntmaster - Nostraman Chainglaive.

Heavy Support

Lord of War

Ok now the Chaplain goes in the Spartan with the terminators. Zealot covers them in case they whiff in CC and stops them from running away / getting pinned ect. Basically gives me a second 'semi fearless' blob. The trophies also mean that fear checks will be at a -1 due to Primarchh rules.

If there's a lot of low AP cover ignoring pie plates everything will be in reserve except the Spartan, which will have to tough it out for a turn or 2. Its risky not having a Primarch show up till turn 4, but its better then him getting glibbed turn 1 by an army focus firing on him.

The other option was just giving the Chaplain a jump pack and popping him in with Curze, but I thought it made that unit too much of a target. Over a 3rd of my total points, 3 kill points, The Price of failure and a Warlord in 1 unit. Thats possibly a 6 Vp swing from the death of 1 unit!

Why is jump infantry still not being allowed to embark a rule even though they count as bulky? That really needs to be fixed.

Granted, doesn't Curze have stealth and shrouded? You *could* drop him into some heavy terrain on turn 1 and have a 2++ save for turn 1 if you lose the initiative before attempting to either cross the table or wait for reserves? Not exactly useful but it is an option, albeit a bad one lol.

Ok had a game yesterday. Used my fluffy list, and Ive made a few alterations.

Fluffy list.

Right of War
Terror Assault

HQ
[17x]Sevatar

Troops

Elite
[410]10 Legion Terminators -  Cataphractii Armour, 4 Chainfists, 6 Power Fists, Teleportation Transponder

Fast Attack
[460]15 Night Raptors - 4 Nostraman Chainglaive, 3 Meltaguns, Huntmaster - Artificer Armour, Melta bomb, Nostraman Chainglaive.

Heavy Support

Lord of War

So. I made alterations. The Night Raptors never really got to use those melta guns. Killed a few marines, and the only tanks worth shooting had Armoured Ceramite. Also the 5 Chainglaives was overkill. Coupled with Curze's attacks they deleted 20 man blobs on the charge. Yes I got lucky and rolled a 3 for the extra attacks both times, but still. Way too much overkill. 

The terror squads Infiltrating didnt work either. At this game size its hard to not be in line of sight to something.  So mostly these guys started within charge range of something, and then died.

So Ive done some changes

Right of War
Terror Assault

HQ
[17x]Sevatar

Troops

[295]10 Terrors - 10 Volkite Chargers, Headsman - Artificer Armour, Nostraman Chainglaive - Drop Pod

[295]10 Terrors - 10 Volkite Chargers, Headsman - Artificer Armour, Nostraman Chainglaive - Drop Pod

Elite

Fast Attack
[385]15 Night Raptors - 2 Nostraman Chainglaive, Huntmaster - Melta bomb, Nostraman Chainglaive.

Heavy Support

Lord of War

New plan. Board starts with the Nightraptors, Curze and Sevatar all in 1 blob. Terrors Squads 1 and 2 deploy using Pods. The 3rd Actually infiltrate a little bit away from Sevatar. Turn 1 Servatar joins the Terror squad and the Raptors fly off. Squad 3's drop pod comes in when it does and is used to generally annoy by blocking Line of Sight for enemy tanks or blocking charge lanes. Terminators come in on the opposite flank to the Raptors and try heard the enemy into the centre. Fire raptor, well... flys n shoots stuff.

Thoughts on the changes to the softer list?

The Terror Squads HAVE to start in their Drop Pods according to the Rite of War. I forgot about that aspect myself...

You can always just drop 1 Executioner and put Sevatar in one of the 1st Turn pods.

Archived