Making an army out of the battleforce?

Naminé

Hello loyal guardsmen and women,

I recently received an un-built Cadian Battleforce (the sentinel version; my understanding is that there used to be a chimera instead?) from a friend, and as a result I was wondering if there was a half-decent way to throw it together as an army/detachment for smaller games.

In addition to the box contents I already have some extra guardsmen, a single Ogryn model, an extra autocannon heavy weapons team, and a Leman Russ with the Plasma Cannons on the side.

The troop selection for guard always confused me...  Any ideas how to begin? :)

Advice is appreciated!

Veteran Squads to make the most out of fewer troop models (a Platoon is 25 models minimum), the command squad will be a CCS and that's the FOC requirements met. The single Ogryn isn't much use unless you use him as Nork and the HWTs can be put to good use. Perhaps with your extra Guardsmen they might help you stretch to three Vet squads? Could you list exactly what models you have as that would help?

It sounds like you have the start of a reasonable force, but I think a few additions will probably be a good idea once you've taken stock :tu:

Pretty sure that's the old battle force. They haven't had sentinels in a long time, they have a Leman Russ and a chimera right now on the gw web site.

But yes, 2 veteran squads and a ccs meets the 2 troop and an HQ minimum. There are a lot of proponents for merchandised veteran guard out there so 3 chimeras to make the ccs and veterans mobile will probably be recommended often.

Thanks for the responses guys :)

Giving this more thought, with the battle force box I have 30 regular guardsman models, the command squad, a sentinel and the Leman Russ, and 4 heavy weapons teams (one of which is an autocannon).

Other random models I have are both a Praetorian and Mordian model (both in the same pose with pistol and chainsword) the Ogryn, some guy with a power fist and another fella whose tag says he's called 'Milo'. I figure I can use these as special characters and what-not if need be.

In addition, I can use my Sister's Priests if needed, and I have some Glade riders which would work well as Rough riders with some converting. I also have an Imperial Bastion and Aegis defence line if it helps.

I see Veterans as the best choice for my troops, but assuming no transports for the time being, how would you equip them for foot duty? I'm also unsure of what type of Sentinel to go for and which weapon would be best. Finally, are autocannons a good option on the heavy weapons teams? Should I build the others to match it?

Appreciate the help guys!

An autocannon is useful for Vets, can match well with plasma's S7. The alternative is a lascannon to match the AP2 - depends on what you want. I'd look at going for 4 Vet squads so you can have some solid numbers and fire power, maybe a couple designed to hang back and support fire/take objectives? Melta is good for popping armour but without a transport range is an issue so you might need to look elsewhere for that.

For Vet forces you have more choice in special weapons insofar as there are no "better" platforms. For example a grenade launcher squad can put out a respectable amount of fire power against various foes - another good autocannon unit too if you have the points so they can press up and hold ground. You are limited somewhat if you're not mechanising your Vets, as you need to take the numbers and longer range to survive and be able to achieve something.

Foot vets benefit from the "Forward Sentries" doctrine, especially behind an ADL. I'm partial to armored sentinels, mostly because I use them to countercharge stuff that gets close to my gun line. Multilasers are free on them, and fairly effective.

Definitely agree with forward sentries. You can need the cover save bonus with foot sloggers...

To be honest I would take them as allies. Veterans are good but really need transport which is adding a whole lot more to your army. As allies they will add a nice objective camping unit and some firepower.

Priest

Platoon command with autocannon

Blob of 30 infantry with 3 autocannon priest goes here)

leman Russ

You need a HQ so I would recommend yarrick or if you are watching the points a Lord commissar.

30 fearless guard getting orders and pumping out shots is always good. Plus they can tarpit your opponents units.

Archived