A fairly generic 2000 point list to build towards

Hergrmir

So I'm just getting started, with a BaC box plus some extras, but I've budgeted some money to put into some of the FW stuff I like the look of. Having not decided on a Legion yet (leaning toward RG or AL for infiltration or IF for bolters, so the troops choices below keep that in mind) but wanting to build to a list, I was thinking of the following as a good start. I'm open to any suggestions though. I doubt my meta is going to be particularly competitive, but there are people with a bit of money and who will splurge on what they find cool. Think more Timmies and Johnnies than Spikes, for those versed in the player archetypes Magic's Design Lead came up with. Ie. we're more likely to run into the occasional big hammer type unit or some weird and wonderful combo that does something crazy than to go for the most efficient thing.

HQ:

Chaplain Consul

Delegatus Consul, Pride of the Legion

Navigator

Troops:

20x Tacticals with additional CCWs

10x Veteran Tacticals with 2 heavy bolters and Sniper

10x Cataphractii, 2 chainfists, 2 pairs of lightning claws, 2 heavy flamers

Elites:

Contemptor Mortis w/2 Kheres

Contemptor Mortis w/2 Multi-meltas

3x Graviton Rapiers

Heavy Support:

Sicaran with heavy bolter sponsons

Vindicator Laser Destroyer with armoured ceramite

Offhand, it looks to have a reasonable mix of AT, AA, and number of shots/attacks. Big concerns are the Cataphracts - I just have them because I have the models. The Navigator is in there because I'm not sure what to do with 50 points. One option could be to ditch the Navigator and use the 50 points to make the Sicaran a venator, or do the same and swap the Vindicator for a Venator.

If the 20x tac blob is too much, they could always be split into smaller units, or built as another pair of veteran tacs with HBs to do the same thing, and then the Chaplain can be something else, or dropped as well. I also don't have a killy character, but they seem quite expensive to me to have unless I have some particular use for them.

Thanks all!

The Terminators will probably want a way of delivery. Spartan, Caestus or Storm Eagle have the capacity. Also a Rhino for the Veterans wouldn't be bad. To free the points I'd cut at Terminators, Contemptors and Rapiers.

Hmm, thanks. If I ditch either or both of the Contemptors or gravs, my concern is whether I'd be able to reasonably deal with AA or AT stuff I needed to do. I suppose if I go for a Caestus ramming some terminators into a big monster is one way to deal with big armour, or a Spartan would bring my own to the fight. A rhino for the veterans is solid, though if I go with Ravens or Alphas they could just infiltrate, perhaps.

In general, are vanilla terminators useful for much? The more I think about it the more they seem to be the one unit which I don't know what to do with here, in terms of the list.

Archived