Jumping Into Heresy BA

The Unseen

So thanks to family getting me the new Calth box early for christmas before it sells out, I have the start of a heresy army. Going to be joining the Glorious IX, the Blood Angels. With that in mind, I worked on a list that would work ok in a casual 40k setting as well as 30k proper, and I don't currently have any of the ohh so nice but expensive forge world toys other than what comes in the BaC box. What do you guys think?

1850 Pts

Preator - 476

Cataphracti Terminator Armor, Combi-Weapon, Power Weapon, Photonic Blade, Digital Weapons

Terminator Command Squad- Squad of 5

1 Pair of Lightning Claws, 2 Combi-Weapons, 1 Chainfist, 1 Iliastus-pattern Assault Cannon

Legion Tactical Squad (15)- 265

Extra CCWs, Vexilla

Sarge with Power Weapon, AA, and MBs.

Legion Tactical Squad (15)- 265

Extra CCWs, Vexilla

Sarge with Power Weapon, AA, and MBs.

Legion Tactical Support Squad (6) 145

Volkite Calivers

Sanguinary Priests "Cough Apothecarion Detachment"- 120

Apothecary: AA, Augury Scanner

Apothecary: AA, Augury Scanner

Contemptor Dreadnought -200

Kheres Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer, FIst

Storm Eagle Gunship- 265

2 Twin-Linked Lascannons, Twin Linked MM, Vengeance Launcher

Legion Predator -115

Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons

The only thing I'm not quite sure about is how expensive the storm eagle ends up being after you actually give it the ability to shoot down other fliers effectively. 

I think you meant IX ;)

Storm Eagle fully kitted out should be roughly 240pts. I'd strongly suggest getting Battlescribe and the Catalog our very own Milicant is kind enough to develop for us!.

A single Predator, you'll find, will usually not last you all that long but, 4 Shot Autocannon is hard to beat when its double the output of the 40k variant.

I'd swap the Heavy Flamer in the fist to a Graviton Gun, Personally. Having a haywire shot helps him fill a more generalist role since the Kheres already mulches infantry.

The big problem you're likely to encounter is a lack of mobility for all of your infantry.

I did mean IX, I'm more tired than I thought. And the Storm Eagle is 265, I use battlescribe all the time, just didn't remember to include the pts cost orignally. Edited.

I noticed that a lot of heresy lists have low mobility, unless you pick up a rite of war or go mechanized, cause jump infantry cost way to bloody much. Was thinking I could drop the Choom squad of tactical support and take outriders with a mixed loadout.

Outriders are a one-weapon type deal too. So you'd be taking multiple squad for variable weapons.

Assault Squads are expensive but can be made a bit more efficient under specific circumstances. We'll see what FW does with them. All they need is a points drop, really.

That said, Have you thought about Pride of the Legion with Rhino'd Tac Vet Squads? A bit more similar to 40k in terms of structure but with more flexibility in terms of rules especially since you're playing an unreleased legion and have the choice of FC or Stubborn to apply to all your Infantry which can mix nice with Veteran Tactics.

They'd cost roughly the same as your current 15 man squad but with more firepower at their disposal, a Rhino and Veteran Stats. Just be careful about points bloat because they get expensive fast. The simplest loadout would be 10 in a rhino, 2 HB/ML/HF, Sarge with typical gear and Sniper USR (I'd go with Stubborn army-wide too to make them hardier).

Though that would mean dropping the apothecaries unless you go 9 men. But that means no 2nd special.

The Points free'd up by dropping the apothecaries would let you get another Predator though! And personally, I'd prefer Magna-Melta Preds over AC/LC since S8 Ap1 Large Blasts are pretty strong despite the shorter range.

Outriders are a one-weapon type deal too. So you'd be taking multiple squad for variable weapons.

Assault Squads are expensive but can be made a bit more efficient under specific circumstances. We'll see what FW does with them. All they need is a points drop, really.

That said, Have you thought about Pride of the Legion with Rhino'd Tac Vet Squads? A bit more similar to 40k in terms of structure but with more flexibility in terms of rules especially since you're playing an unreleased legion and have the choice of FC or Stubborn to apply to all your Infantry which can mix nice with Veteran Tactics.

They'd cost roughly the same as your current 15 man squad but with more firepower at their disposal, a Rhino and Veteran Stats. Just be careful about points bloat because they get expensive fast. The simplest loadout would be 10 in a rhino, 2 HB/ML/HF, Sarge with typical gear and Sniper USR (I'd go with Stubborn army-wide too to make them hardier).

Though that would mean dropping the apothecaries unless you go 9 men. But that means no 2nd special.

The Points free'd up by dropping the apothecaries would let you get another Predator though! And personally, I'd prefer Magna-Melta Preds over AC/LC since S8 Ap1 Large Blasts are pretty strong despite the shorter range.

Outriders aren't 1 weapon? Their just normal bike squads, not the attack bike squadrons. I think for the points I can have 6 with 2 special weapons.

Assault squads pay 10 points for a jump pack, and lose the bolter. So yeah, they definitely need a price drop. If i was playing heresy only, it would matter less, bigger games, more points to throw around, etc. But for smaller games against 40k opponents, they just aren't good.

I had considered Pride ROW, I may go that way.

And I only own 1 regular predator, the other is a baal, which I could use as an infernus variant with the flamestorm on top, but is a bit overkill a lot of the time, since guard and xenos are big here. Plus anything with rear av10 I'm really leary about driving up close to the enemy without a solid plan.

Archived