Elysians vs Tempestus

TiberiusHecktor

I've been toying around with having a deep striking component in my army, particularly a unit with a bunch of melta's to drop in and ruin a heavy vehicles day. At first i was thinking of using Tempestus but the more i look into it, Elysians seem like the better option.

An Elysian CCS with four melta's is cheaper than the tempestus equivalent AND they come with senior officer, so can give two order's instead of one. You lose out on twin linked goodness(from the Tempestus orders) but two orders and access to tank/monster hunter or ignores cover seems like a beneficial trade.

Added bonus, you get access to cheaper vendetta's and deepstriking a bunch of slightly more expensive Elysian vets seems a lot cheaper than buying a load of Chimera's.

Any thoughts?

As with most things depends what you want/need. In order to get the most out of your choice you'll need to look at all the potential uses, so if you take Elysians it should be more than just for the CCS so that would include Vendettas and Vets for example. Deep striking is something to be done properly - not for the half hearted so if you do take Elysians remember who dares wins!

Grammar Commissar, checking in.  The apostrophe is not used to indicate a plural, it is used to indicated the possessive case.  Hence, meltas= more than one melta, melta's= belonging to the melta, meltas'=belonging to the meltas, Meltas's=belonging to the one named Meltas.  Your annoyance at being corrected pales in comparison to the way your misuse of the apostrophe makes my eyes bleed.  Further transgressions may result in relegation to a penal legion.

As for Elysians versus Stormtroopers, if you're just cheese mining, then, yeah, cherry-picking a couple of units from FW is the way to go.  If I were going to play Elysians, though, my whole list would be Elysian, and I'd get all the pretty FW toys, even if they aren't WAAC, like the drop sentinels and the dune buggies.  Otherwise, I'd just go with the Stormtroopers. 

Grammar Commissar, checking in.  The apostrophe is not used to indicate a plural, it is used to indicated the possessive case.  Hence, meltas= more than one melta, melta's= belonging to the melta, meltas'=belonging to the meltas, Meltas's=belonging to the one named Meltas.  Your annoyance at being corrected pales in comparison to the way your misuse of the apostrophe makes my eyes bleed.  Further transgressions may result in relegation to a penal legion.

Damn it.

You know, i actually typed out Elysians in the title with an apostrophe as well and then i was like 'wait that's clearly not right' and changed it. After that my brain clearly went: RIGHT DONE WITH GRAMMAR FOR THE DAY.

I wouldn't really be against taking a dune buggy or two, they don't seem that terrible for the cost compared to sentinels or hellhounds.

Is it really that cheesy to mix and match some Elysians? I kind of feel like guard could use all the help they can get at the moment. I'm trying to build competitively without just allying in some space marines at least. Now i was thinking about bringing Coteaz attached to a Medusa artillery battery... that might be a bit cheesy.

Honestly, I like everything about the current Elysians. They still use 5E Stormies, vets are pretty good, but the Infantry platoon has no access to autocannon or lascannon HWT(HWS). They still get ML(including flakk), Heavy Bolters, and Mortars, so there's that. Elysian vets are good for sticking in cover with a heavy weapons team, with forward observers, since they get all the codex stuff for it (camo gear and snare mines) plus they get infiltrate and a tracking beacon for accurate deep striking goodness. Take care not to overcost them (take too much stuff that you won't use, example taking more than one doctrine). 

I like to use my valkyries to deliver my stormies at the start of turn 1. I only have 2 valks so I only deliver 2 full squads of stormies, I use the reconnaissance rule or the behind enemy lines rule to move my other squad of stormies. I take forward observers on my vets, and use them as a cover camping anti-armor threat, and to make my deepstrike better, when I bring down my drop sentinels (I use my armored sentinels). Drop sentinels are pretty limited, everyone wants to use them for anti armor with a MM, but take them with HB and camo netting for some mobile cover camping heavy bolters isn't a bad idea either. Just wish they were a fast attack choice instead of an Elite(then I could get more than a single squadron since I take them in my platoon, plus side, ObSec deep striking sentinels). 

There is a ton more to consider about Elysians as opposed to tempestus. Since Elysians use 5E Stormies they have HSLP/CCW so everyone gets a base of 2 attacks, they are viable in CC. Just don't upgrade the Sergeant, as he's already base 2 attacks and with HSLP/CCW he's got 3. No need to get greedy, since that makes them almost as good at CC as my Grey Hunters. The Fliers are very spammable, and they have great options for them. 

The fact that the Elysian Command Squad is as good at DS MG/PG suicide strikes only cheaper is good, but do you only get 2 of them, and that's not really their point. It saddens me that the Elysians don't get Masters of Ordnance, as they lack a lot in the way of high strength weapons let alone blasts. 

Elysians are an all around great army, and one of my favorites. I keep coming back to them, because I tend to like small, elite, shooting focused armies.

Damn it.

You know, i actually typed out Elysians in the title with an apostrophe as well and then i was like 'wait that's clearly not right' and changed it. After that my brain clearly went: RIGHT DONE WITH GRAMMAR FOR THE DAY.

I wouldn't really be against taking a dune buggy or two, they don't seem that terrible for the cost compared to sentinels or hellhounds.

Is it really that cheesy to mix and match some Elysians? I kind of feel like guard could use all the help they can get at the moment. I'm trying to build competitively without just allying in some space marines at least. Now i was thinking about bringing Coteaz attached to a Medusa artillery battery... that might be a bit cheesy.

It depends on what you want out of them. Elysians would be a great take if what you want is an all infiltrator/DS army. That way you just call your deployment done after putting your CCS down with whatever else you have. Then Infiltrators come around and you put however many squads you have with infiltrate on the board wherever you want them, and then rain men on your first turn. You take advantage first turn with some tough cover camping dudes on objectives with heavy weapons and you just hold them all game. Allying artillery can't hurt, but remember that you're going to need to take some troops and an HQ so make them cheap (unless you want to use a small CAD of regular Guard heavy on the artillery and mech). Whatever you do make sure your army works together.

Grammar Commissar, checking in. The apostrophe is not used to indicate a plural, it is used to indicated the possessive case. Hence, meltas= more than one melta, melta's= belonging to the melta, meltas'=belonging to the meltas, Meltas's=belonging to the one named Meltas. Your annoyance at being corrected pales in comparison to the way your misuse of the apostrophe makes my eyes bleed. Further transgressions may result in relegation to a penal legion.

Damn it.

Only the dead have seen the end of duty msn-wink.gif

Archived