Contemptor with Volkite Culverin-anyone tried it out?

Wolfbiter

Just curious...the new Contemptor Volkite weapon arm from Forge World looks great, but has anyone tried a Volkite-armed Contemptor in their games? I haven't seen any displayed in painting or mentioned in army lists. If so, how did it work for you? Did you use it for anti-infantry only, or did it work as an anti-Rhino gun?

I'll 100% be getting one but the reason you havent seen much on them is because up till that point, the weapon arm didnt exist and wasn't twin-linked.

When compared to the similar Kheres Assault Cannon, there was no real reason to take it beyond greater range.

With Peeps now having at least 1 Contemptor due to BaC and Volkite being the Sauce, you'll probably be seeing them more.

++

That said, 4, TL, BS5 S6 Deflagrate shots at 45" Range isn't anything to scoff at (unless your Av 13 or T7/8+). And for its relatively cheap cost to upgrade on the Contemptor Frame, its pretty good.

I proxied one in a small, test game with a friend. It's pretty meh.

The weapon lacks low ap to be truly effective against PA troops, and the strength to deal with any vehicle tougher than a Rhino.

The Contemptor Chassis is too expensive to function as a weapon platform for this weapon...

Volkite weapons are amazing, especially culverins, but two of them aren't enough to make much of an impact, and contemptors are a terrible platform given their cost and role.  A heavy support squad for about the same cost can take 6 culverins.  They're relatively squishy and don't have twin-linked or BS5, but put out a lot more fire, have way more options by virtue of being a squad with a legion trait, and can get around most of their inherent vulnerabilities thanks to the range of their guns.

I think a volkite contemptor weapon needs a different profile that makes sense for the platform.  Something like a demi-culverin, or a quad-culverin might be more viable.

Volkite weapons are amazing, especially culverins, but two of them aren't enough to make much of an impact, and contemptors are a terrible platform given their cost and role. A heavy support squad for about the same cost can take 6 culverins. They're relatively squishy and don't have twin-linked or BS5, but put out a lot more fire, have way more options by virtue of being a squad with a legion trait, and can get around most of their inherent vulnerabilities thanks to the range of their guns.

I think a volkite contemptor weapon needs a different profile that makes sense for the platform. Something like a demi-culverin, or a quad-culverin might be more viable.

Pretty much this.

I personally would rather run it than dual kheres. I've enough anti tank elsewhere. Volume of fire is also good. 8 shots hitting on 2s, 2s to wound and deflagrate is nice. Ultimately I don't think contemptors are value for points anyway but they look good. On that basis it's dual kheres or volkites for me. If I can take a mortis with twin volkite then happy days as its got a huge range and can drop lighter aircraft or deep strikers nicely.

Dual Kheres can run as a Mortis though which have Skyfire and Interceptor. A Deredeo is better than both; for 225(?). Chop on an Aiolos and it is better anti legion. If Militia or Solar Auxilia are present then they are served steaming by both the Kheres and Choomer, but the Deredeo still has relevance in those lists due to Flyers being one of their few damaging bits. And for stripping Void Shields from IC's.

Deredeo is 220 with autocannons and silos. Unfortunately it's heavy support whereas contemptors have the advantage of being elites. For a single mortis I'd run kheres as its what I have but would prefer lascannons. However, if I had the slots for the price difference the deredeo would win

This Heavy Support slot being too busy is something I've never understood.

heavy Support choices have a decidated role. Sotake for that role you want and then work around it. If Rapiers, Dreadnoughts, Dreadclaws, Deredeo's, Lightning Primaaris etc all shared HS, sure.

But they don't.

No but leviathans, deredeos, scorpius, laser vindi, sicaran, spartan, heavy support squads and kakophoni all do and I have one of each and two squads of kakophoni. The latter will be remedied by them becoming troops but that still leaves me a jam packed heavy support section.

Yeah my HS section is jammed also (Predators, Sicarans, Vindicator, HSS, Legion Medusas, Spartans).

But back on target.

Minus the range I think that the Kheres out performs the Choom every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Though it doesn't have Deflagrate, I think that rending trumps it especially when playing blood in the void. The kheres also has 12 shots at BS5 and wounds on 2s also.

Everyone's unit selection is jammed, regardless of Battlefeild Role. This has been a thing ever since FoC's became a thing (excert 3rd edition Crons) and everyone is crying because Iron Warriors 3.5th edition CSM's were broken because of that, and then in 6th where you could take more than one foc and then 7th made it better.

That is the point of options. There are so many overlapping roles between the different FoC's however, that you aren't requiring your Heavy Support slots to fulfil every role. You have certain rolls fulfilled by HS that are better, but are also done in other ways; For example, AT. You can take a trio of Vindicators TD's. But then you need some AInfantry. So you look elsewhere. Lightnings, Storm Eagles, Praevians, Quad Mortars, Veterans with Power Weapons, or legion specific assault options.

You need Anti Air? Take 3 Deredeo. Apart from 3 Deredeo is overkill. There aren't that many legion armies running flyers.

Would I like more HS? Sure. Do I need more HS? No. With the exception of the Deredeo, there is no real need to use any Heavy Support.

As showcased by RG and Night Lords.

I bought two of the arms because martian death rays are awesome. My third contemptor has swappable arms, 2 of which will be TLVCs. I expect militia lists and SA to become increasingly popular and make their use even better. Until then I'll run it in city fight and strike missions where i field talons.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually had a question about it as well. In addition, I'm a little confused: in the book where it lists all the legion units, it just lists it as "volkite culverin" and is asking for 10 pts. But in FW download sheet under that product, it says "Twin-Linked Volkite Culverin" and asks for 15 points. So, which one is the right one? The latter makes way more sense both in use and is also represented in the design, hence why i use that, but does that mean the the book version of the Contemptor Dreadnought Talon entry is out of date now? Cheers!

I actually had a question about it as well. In addition, I'm a little confused: in the book where it lists all the legion units, it just lists it as "volkite culverin" and is asking for 10 pts. But in FW download sheet under that product, it says "Twin-Linked Volkite Culverin" and asks for 15 points. So, which one is the right one? The latter makes way more sense both in use and is also represented in the design, hence why i use that, but does that mean the the book version of the Contemptor Dreadnought Talon entry is out of date now? Cheers!

The Culverin Sheet since its the most recent.

The same sheet updates compemtors to 3 Base Attacks.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed the 3 base attacks since they don't include that download under their download section, you have to browse to the volkite culverin to see it. All the more reason to run a two-fist Contemptor!

While we're on the subject of shooty Contemptors and FW hiding rules, they sell a Contemptor Cyclone Missile Launcher, but all you get is a havok. :P

I missed the 3 base attacks since they don't include that download under their download section, you have to browse to the volkite culverin to see it. Awesome!

Yes, Its a neat stealth update that got literally everyone by surprise hahaha!

And yeah...why they dont link to the updated profile on the Contemptor Pages is beyond me @_@

Archived